Why become a member? ×

How original is this?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280284888719"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=280284888719[/url]

Does this finish look original to you?
The hardware looks right - I love those lollypop tuners and the bridge seems to have the correct saddles.

I'm very tempted - this as its the first year mustang in the colour I like & (it looks like) an original silver case. I've been waiting for one to surface, but I'm amazed at the condition this one is in - equivalent to 'closet classic' rather than knackered 'relic'. I think it'll be a long wait before another like this comes up.

I'm awaiting a reply from the seller about shipping to the UK, the truss rod & the back of the neck (often the popper button on the strap securing it in the case rubs away a patch on the back of the neck)

What other questions should I ask the seller before bidding & possibly parting with my Benjamins?

The seller seems open and doesn't seem to be hiding anything. Inviting questions and enquiries.

This is a Mustang - less likely , I think , to have had the hard gigging life that a similar age J or P would have had.

If it's your dream bass , and if your research checks out , the only Q to ask is 'how much do you want to stop the auction and sell to me'.

[quote name='neepheid' post='329784' date='Nov 15 2008, 06:45 PM']It is feasible that someone is fastidious about looking after their gear... the assertion that if it's been played for 20 years then it has to look like crap (sorry, I mean "have heaps of [i]mojo[/i]") seems short sighted to me.[/quote]
maybe, but with fenders quality control history not being great, id feel more confident about the instrument if it had a few more battle scars. for the record i dont like mojo, and i would never buy an old bass like this as i dont see the point or benefit, but this seems suspiciously clean

The only bit that looks perhaps slightly wrong is the headstock - very, very clean.

While we're speculating wildly (as ladies of our age are wont to do) may I posit the following scenario:

*Bloke buys bass circa 30 years ago. Dings it, getting it out of the box. "B*gger", says he.
*Plays it a bit; really likes it and goes out to buy 10 Woodbine to celebrate.
*While daydreaming about marvellous new bass on way to corner shop, walks under bus and killed instantly.
*Widow immediately puts bass under the bed where it remains untouched for years.
*Widow croaks last week.
*Executor now flogging it.

See, problem solved and just as likely as any other explanation :)

I think someone has just been uber careful with it to be honest. The body looks well aged, look at the contrast of the colours at the bottom of [url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/arcadefan17/Bass/DSCN2792.jpg"]this[/url] picture where it's been under the control plate. There's a good bit of dirt on the board too as you can see [url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/arcadefan17/Bass/DSCN2804.jpg"]here[/url], and the MOP inlay looks fairly faded and the board itself looks fairly old. I think it's been well played, just very well looked after, personally. I mean it's not like it doesn't happen is it?

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='BassManKev' post='329728' date='Nov 15 2008, 05:03 PM']if that is completly original, id be very wary, as that just doesnt look like its been played, which isnt a good sign as far as how good a bass it is...[/quote]

+1 Yep that's the truth of it, old basses that have not been played is usually because they're dogs.

I've got an all original 1966 Mustang bass & it's a nice clean one - but it doesn't look anything like that one.
As mentioned by others - the headstock just looks all wrong - I've never seen any Fender from 1966 with a headstock & decal as clean as that...
Colour? As far as I know - no '66 Mustang basses were made in that blue finish ('Sonic Blue'?) & again it just looks too 'fresh' to be from a 42 year old bass. IMHO Looks much more like a refinished bass - both the body & the neck (with a replacement decal).

The case is original - & they are pretty valuable on their own.

I could be totally wrong & it could be a perfect 'time capsule' original 1966 bass - in a rare (for a Mustang) custom colour finish.
But I would be VERY careful...ask to see a picture of the neck date & rear of the headstock.

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='332556' date='Nov 19 2008, 07:10 PM']My questions to the seller have gone unanswered. Apart from asking for a shipping price I asked about the truss rod & back of the neck.

I'm not going to risk bidding without getting answers to my questions, so it looks like this'll be the one that got away. Ho Hum. :)[/quote]

It's a tricky one for sure - as the new pictures he's posted are now making me have a complete re-think as they go a long way to confirming that it is all original. So I've run it by some guys I know who are very knowledgeable about vintage Fenders & they are thinking the same. Which does make it a very nice & very desirable rare vintage Mustang...

But I would always walk away from any eBay transaction where a seller doesn't reply to questions - let alone a seller in the US when you have no opportunity to go & view the bass in person.

Well I eventually got a reply to my questions. Didn't really get a satisfactory answer to the question about the truss rod though - he said "[i]as far as truss rod problems i dont think so[/i]" I'm not sure if that's reassurance enough. Once I've factored in the postage charge, customs & VAT, a set of TI JF3244 & a fret level from the gallery it'll be expensive, but there can't be many daphne blue ones around in this condition. :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='329784' date='Nov 15 2008, 06:45 PM']It is feasible that someone is fastidious about looking after their gear... the assertion that if it's been played for 20 years then it has to look like crap (sorry, I mean "have heaps of [i]mojo[/i]") seems short sighted to me.[/quote]
+1 to that.

I always find it odd when people seem to think that just because a guitar's old it HAS to be battered and bruised almost beyond recognition, otherwise it couldn't possibly be authentic, or if it is it must be crap and hence it's never been played.

I own an all original '74 Rickenbacker 4000. Thirty five years old and i've owned it myself for getting on for twenty five of them. It was my only bass and was played daily and rehearsed week in week out for many years, it's been around the world several times, played on albums, you name it, and it's hardly got a mark on it.

In other words, i looked after it. Sometimes people do. :)

Cheers,

Jake M

Edited by Jake_M

If it doesnt go to silly money and you like it, you'd be madder than a box of Frogs not to buy it at the price its currently at....

Looks like lovely old girl to me....! FWIW

I do reflect the 'walk away from it if you're not happy' advice relayed above tho'

I've missed out on a couple of cheepish PRSs recently because I just wasnt 100% happy.....

You'd be wise to do the same if your in that boat!

Nothing will annoy you more (and be time consuming) than getting burnt!

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='333963' date='Nov 21 2008, 04:37 PM']Well I'm still watching it. I keep telling myself that my CIJ Mustang is perfect & I don't need an old one, but them I look at those pics again...

You'll hear on Sunday if I do give in to temptation & get into big trouble with the missus. Or if this is the one that got away.[/quote]

Bidding has ended. Well did ya get it? did ya did ya??

[quote name='aceuggy' post='334745' date='Nov 23 2008, 10:19 AM']Bidding has ended. Well did ya get it? did ya did ya??[/quote]
'fraid not. I put my max bid in with seconds to go, but the price jumped above my bid while it was updating.

It ended quite a bit above what I'd pay given the current exchange rate. However if I'd got a more definite answer from the seller about the condition of the neck/truss rod I'd have been happy to go way above what it went for.

I was concerned about there possibly being a permanent backbow to the neck if it has been stored for an extended period with the strings loosened or off with the truss rod under tension.

Oh well win some lose some. That would have been a bargain at last years exchange rate.

Hopefully the neck/truss rod is all good for the new owner.

Every cloud has a silver lining - the wife's still speaking to me - apparently I already have 'enough' basses.