Why become a member? ×

Wal collection stolen

Dazed

Just came across this on Facebook 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2413094311/permalink/10156090120594312/

Copied from the post by Joe Climan, list of basses In attached file

Hi everyone,

I do not post much but have, or had, I suppose, one of the larger collections of wal basses. This week, 10 of them were stolen from a storage unit they were in temporarily here in Santa Monica. I am attaching the most specific itemized list of the guitars that I have. If you see or hear of ANYTHING even closely matching this description, please let me know immediately. It goes without saying I am totally gutted mostly by the loss of such history. One of them, noted at the bottom, was among the first 10 Wals ever produced.

EDIT: two serial numbers I have: 
1. Tangerine orange (custom, one of a kind) mk2 - 3423

2. Mk1 with hand-tooled flower leather pick guard - JG1114 (4th wal ever produced I believe)

Thank you so much.

1D2FC4A1-67BD-432C-8A54-B7D6F9AC40CA.jpeg

Edited by Dazed
Serial numbers added

6 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Almost certainly stolen to order...who would realistically expect to sell 13 high end and, in the US, rare basses without coming up on the radar?

not necessarily. random storage unit is broken in to and emptied of anything that looks valuable. just because we know they are of high value doesnt mean the thieving scum would have known it but just took them along with everything esle in the unit...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/01/2018 at 10:04, Beedster said:

A collection of 13 Wals and only 2 serial numbers! Many of the US players I know are really geared up for theft, I'm amazed a collection of that value and rarity wasn't better documented? 

Or stored somewhere more secure. This seems to be quite an issue. 

On 11/01/2018 at 13:56, fleabag said:

Didn't the same thing happen to Brian Beller ?  It was documented on youtube i think. They got'em too. Brilliant

And Janek Gwizdala had his raided. 

Hope he gets them back, how awful. 

2 hours ago, Highfox said:

Update 27.1,  some good news, Joe has now got 3 of them back :)

The rest are still on-going

Was the JG one of them? It's awful whenever any bass is stolen, but that one in particular would be a loss not just to the owner, but to anyone interested in bass history (especially UK bass history) as well. 

30 minutes ago, ZilchWoolham said:

Was the JG one of them? It's awful whenever any bass is stolen, but that one in particular would be a loss not just to the owner, but to anyone interested in bass history (especially UK bass history) as well. 

Unfortunately,  the JG wasn't one of the ones found and returned so far.

From Joe's recent post it sounds like he is hopeful of a few more turning up. He hasn't posted a lot of details other than to say that it is still an on-going process/investigation.

I'm surprised someone would have such a valuable collection in a storage locker. 

They really should have been on show at home even hung in a spare rom. You would think that anyone that could afford that many WAL basses had a bit of money behind them and lived in a reasonable sized house.

Hope they get returned in good order. Guy must be devastated. That must have been a life's work collection there.

Dave

18 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'm surprised someone would have such a valuable collection in a storage locker. 

They really should have been on show at home even hung in a spare rom. You would think that anyone that could afford that many WAL basses had a bit of money behind them and lived in a reasonable sized house.

Hope they get returned in good order. Guy must be devastated. That must have been a life's work collection there.

Dave

Yes :( He mentioned the basses were only in temporary storage whilst he was moving and then was going to arrange space for them back at home again.

Just now, Highfox said:

Yes :( He mentioned the basses were only in temporary storage whilst he was moving and then was going to arrange space for them back at home again.

Missed that bit. If only temporary storage sounds like someone knew they were there. I'd go with the storage company owners. All sounds a bit suspect to me.

Dave

• 1 month later...

I had mentioned over on TalkBass....That yes he was inbetween residences at the time....Considering we are looking at close to 70k worth of basses, im betting (hope) you would rent a climate controlled storage for these fine instruments.....IF that was me, i would have also set up a bed, have a loaded shotgun right beside me and a electrified boobie-traped door incase someone tried to break in. Also you think you would just take them to a family or friends place to keep safe. Fishy fishy indeed. 

Almost guaranteed this was an inside job, and not some “random” break in and stumbled on a whack of basses, with him only scheduled to be there a short time.