Why become a member? ×

Road Worn 50s and 50s Classic Precision

Hutton

The 50s classic is finished in modern polyurethane paints, but is still a very good bass with a very different sound and feel to a modern Precision (I have both). I believe the Road worn is, I think, finished in Cellulose. I should find out out soon as I have one on the way.

Didn't the Classic 50s with the poly finish get replaced by the Classic 50s Lacquer with a nitro finish a few years ago? That would make the only difference between them being the relic job.

The RW gets raved about, but I had a RW and Classic 50s in the house at the same time and the 50s walked all over it when it came to resonance and tone. Of course basses vary individually so it could just as equally have swayed the other way! That 50s was the best sounding P I'd ever tried except I did not get on with the combination of wide neck, curvy radius, and sharp fingerboard edges.

Edited by dannybuoy

Theres also a bass that bridges the gap between the two above - the 50's Classic Lacquer Precision.
Finished in a thin nitro cellulose lacquer like the Roadworn but no roadwearing done..... Its a DIY Roadworn effectively

And it comes in black/maple....

I don't think the lacquer version replaced the road worn as it only comes  in the one colour, as mentioned above. If they did the red or sunburst classic in lacquer without the wear, I'd have one or both right now. I've had a 60s classic Jazz bass in lacquer for 4 or 5 years now, and it's the only jazz I've kept. It has real character.

I`ve had the Classic 50s, great bass, felt really solid and chunky, and was possibly the most aggressive sounding Precision on the market that I`ve played. Not had a Road Worn but have played a few and love them, aside from a Pino Palladino Custom Shop probably the most comfortable Precisions I`ve had the pleasure to play. If they did them in black I`d have one, but they don`t, so I haven`t. So my vote is for the RW, exceptional basses in, unfortunately, colours I don`t want.

18 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Lozz, how about the nitro finish Classic 50, same neck etc, and it won't take long to start gaining some road worn class as the paint wears easily. Only available in black, too!

I`ve been tryin to resist even checking those ones out, Dave, as I fear they may bankrupt me. I just loved the worn-in feeling of the necks on the RWs, which I didn`t get from the Classic 50. Great chunky neck, but that well-played feeling isn`t there, for me.

I've got a road worn arriving some time this week, it will be interesting to compare it to my Classic 50s. I really like the wider neck, but still have 4 US Standards to fall back on. I even played my Jazz Bass this afternoon, just to make sure I wasn't getting too set in my wide neck ways!

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I`ve been tryin to resist even checking those ones out, Dave, as I fear they may bankrupt me. I just loved the worn-in feeling of the necks on the RWs, which I didn`t get from the Classic 50. Great chunky neck, but that well-played feeling isn`t there, for me.

I reckon that 'worn-in feeling' is mainly down to the satin finish instead of the hard plastic feeling poly finish. I'd say there's a good chance the Lacquer version has the same smooth feel as the RW just without the dirt and cigarette burn!

2 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I reckon that 'worn-in feeling' is mainly down to the satin finish instead of the hard plastic feeling poly finish. I'd say there's a good chance the Lacquer version has the same smooth feel as the RW just without the dirt and cigarette burn!

The Road Worn has a lot of ageing work, it's not just the paint and the fag burn. The neck is really comfortable and plays like a vintage job. The bass overall is very resonant and the relic work on the hardware is particularly effective. It just feels right, it plays really well and it sounds fabulous. The cosmetic aspects are a red herring really, the RWs are very good indeed and as close as you'll get to get to a genuine early P Bass. Without the expense, obviously.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

My Lacquer Classic has a satin finish to the back of the neck although i think a previous owner may have wire wooled it. It isnt the same as the Road Worn neck - it doesnt have rolled edges - but it feels better (to me) than the Poly Classic 50. I played them all back to back within a week so got a pretty good idea of the comparison. There was hardly anything in it re the sound of them all but i just preferred the lacquer ones because i like beaten up basses- i was gonna try and grab a Roadworn on here but the Lacquer popped up significantly cheaper so i grabbed it and i'll wear it in myself. Its been started by the previous owners and its a nice thin finish so it wont take long :-) Oh and its black........i would have been happy with a burst RW but i dont like the red personally.

Edited by Mudpup

7 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I don't think the lacquer version replaced the road worn as it only comes  in the one colour, as mentioned above. If they did the red or sunburst classic in lacquer without the wear, I'd have one or both right now. I've had a 60s classic Jazz bass in lacquer for 4 or 5 years now, and it's the only jazz I've kept. It has real character.

This man speaks the truth. The Classic 50s nitro version is an addition to the range, and only came in black (and maybe sunburst too? can't recall) while the poly finish Classic 50s came in fiesta red (sort of faded), black, sunburst and a creamy sort of vintage white.

Both RW and Classic 50s have a wide neck, but the RW is chunkier. The feel is very different too, as the RW's neck has the lacquer worn out and the Classic 50s has the glossy poly lacquer (that I love). Sound-wise, I prefer the Classic 50 as well but I have only tried one example of each. My Classic 50 is a lovely bass. The nut width is noticeable larger than in just about any other 4-string bass I've played, but it's a very comfortable neck and has a lovely sound. I had read reviews over on TB about replacing the pickup, but I love mine, so it stayed.

The RW was very light, and most RW basses I've tried were light too... not that the Classic 50s I have is particularly heavy, but another thing to think about maybe. 

I'd go for the Classic 50s Precision. The RW has a lovely worn-in neck but I find the 50s more comfortable and I'm not a big fan of relic jobs, no matter how good they are... 

14 minutes ago, Hutton said:

Thanks for all the replies. I think that the Classic 50s Lacquer has got my attention. Some thinking and negotiations with the keeper of the purse now need to take place.

If you're anywhere near Essex/Herts you're welcome to pop round for a go....

Unfortunately, I live in the guitar shop wasteland of Aberdeen in north east Scotland. There is only one music store here (Kennys) and their stock of basses is very limited. Many thanks also to Mudpup for the offer, it is much appreciated. 

13 hours ago, discreet said:

The Road Worn has a lot of ageing work, it's not just the paint and the fag burn. The neck is really comfortable and plays like a vintage job. The bass overall is very resonant and the relic work on the hardware is particularly effective. It just feels right, it plays really well and it sounds fabulous. The cosmetic aspects are a red herring really, the RWs are very good indeed and as close as you'll get to get to a genuine early P Bass. Without the expense, obviously.

I liked the couple I've played...although when I popped into PMT recently, they're £1250 these days... O.o

13 hours ago, discreet said:

I read somewhere that the Roadworn is made from better materials, i.e.select woods
Mine is certainly very light weight, and as others have said, feels "worn in" - as though it has had many years of playing
I used to have a RW Jazz too (which I now regret parting with) and that was the lightest weight Jazz I've owned.... and the best Jazz I've played

I'd also read that the Roadworn series are finished in the US. Whether that is true or not, I couldn't say for sure (as with the matter of "superior materials")
But every Roadworn P or J I've picked up has been a superb instrument..... I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
The necks really are something else - so comfortable to play, and with a feel of sheer quality and superb finish. I've owned & played quite a number of US, MIM, MIJ basses and for me, the roadworns are the best

If you're thinking of getting a brand new Classic 50's - then may be a second-hand RW is a similar price.....

Edited by Marc S