Why become a member? ×

4 string BEAD?

The59Sound

One of the main reasons IMO, is that if you're a 4 string player, you don't have to 'get used to' the extra neck width of a 5 string. Another reason is that if you have more than one bass at your disposal, then you can save yourself the expense (and hassle) of finding another bass that you need to get used to. New strings are cheaper than new basses.

I used this technique about 10 years ago in a Blues band who's singer tended to sing in D and G.  It proved most effective.  I had to widen the slots of the nut a smidgen and take off a bit of tension on the truss rod as there is less pull with these strings.  I had no probs going back to EADG either.  If it works for you, then why not?

G.

6 hours ago, The59Sound said:

Went over Cochise at rehearsal and my guitarist told me for that song I should be using a 5 string or alternatively restring my Jazz BEAD.

Apart from gaining 5 extra notes, what advantages are there to stringing a 4 string bass BEAD? 

Do you play it as in the original version (Audioslave)? I used to play it with a 4-string and standard tuning... o.O

Guitarists say a lot of things, always worth listening, not always worth acting on.

The B in the middle 8 is an open Low B on the original recording.

I used to tune 4 strings down to BEAD, as I was in a metal band who tuned to drop B, but I don't get on with drop tunings.

After leaving that band, I kept at least one bass tuned like that, as I found it was like having the advantages of a five string, but with the feel of a four.

These days, I just play five strings instead 🤣

4 hours ago, Graham said:

The B in the middle 8 is an open Low B on the original recording.

I used to tune 4 strings down to BEAD, as I was in a metal band who tuned to drop B, but I don't get on with drop tunings.

After leaving that band, I kept at least one bass tuned like that, as I found it was like having the advantages of a five string, but with the feel of a four.

These days, I just play five strings instead 🤣

Ah, that's possible. I would have certainly been playing the higher B during the middle bit... It sounded good 'though.

16 hours ago, mcnach said:

Do you play it as in the original version (Audioslave)? I used to play it with a 4-string and standard tuning... o.O

Guitarists say a lot of things, always worth listening, not always worth acting on.

I always thought it was played in standard too, but looking at some live footage and Tim's hand position during the riff, it would appear it is in fact played in BEAD.  It actually looks a lot easier to play in that tuning now I look at it.  Well I never!

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

16 hours ago, mcnach said:

The first 2 Audioslave albums the bass is in bead. The third one I don't think is as Revelations is in drop D.

I've always played it in standard, it's an easy enough riff...no complaints from anyone. I had a monster BEAD bass for a while, but I never really used it much, so I moved it on. Oh, and I don't like 5s...as for the guitarist telling me stuff I should do, I generally smile, nod, and just get on with it. They usually find something else to worry about quite quickly... :D

Just to throw another cat into the pigeon coop: I've often toyed with the idea of having a BEAD bass, but then of course the next logical step is to consider a four that shifts in the opposite direction! Does anybody ever tune ADGC, or are we starting to get too close to baritone guitar territory by that point?

26 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Just to throw another cat into the pigeon coop: I've often toyed with the idea of having a BEAD bass, but then of course the next logical step is to consider a four that shifts in the opposite direction! Does anybody ever tune ADGC, or are we starting to get too close to baritone guitar territory by that point?

I think that E string is too useful to lose it

4 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

You can get a drop D tuning easily with a D tuner, costs about £70 and means you can easily flip in and out.

if you really wanted you can fit 4 of them and drop every String to your desired tuning.

I have those in two of my basses, very useful. But not good enough if you want a low B. Great tool but it has its limitations.

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

@mcnach haven’t they brought out a double drop?

not used it personally so can’t comment on how good, but this could be a solution

https://hipshotproducts.com/collections/bass-xtenders/products/doublestop-lever-addon

Hmmm, cool idea... but if I detune my E to B, that doesn't feel very good. And the interval between that and the A string is a little big to play things comfortably. 

I vote "not entirely convinced" ;)