Why become a member? ×

Richard Bona

Thunderthumbs

Just got back from the RNCM after seeing Richard Bona and his band.

How much more can I say about how much he's inspired me?

He's an incredible bass player, a beautiful singer, a tremendous presence for such a quietly spoken man, and an incredibly uplifting spirit.

He plays with a smile on his face, and that's how he appears to come across as a person. Got everyone singing and laughing again.

Got myself a signed CD and a photo with the man himself, and went home a very happy chappy.

Now where's my bass..........

Morning guys, this one is exactly the same topic i was going to open this morning and with the same Thunderthumbs's word: [b]INCREDIBLE!!![/b]

To be honest any single note, any single song, any single second of the concert, yesterday, takes my breath away!!

I was speechless when Mr. Bona plays my favorite song which is "Suninga" that in English means "Suninga" :)

About the bass, what can I say, he is my musician idol, but for a beginner like me, his music is pretty impossible to follow and to replace but the same he gives me so much
energy to improve my play, from his words seems like everything is possible and he is 100% right. In the life heart and passion are the most important things to make our dream true and with his heart and his passion for the music, he gives to all of us a unforgettable moment!

Thank you Lord to have create such a good man as [b]Richard Bona[/b]!
God bless you Richard!
:huh:

Edited by jazzbassmm

Glad others are catching on!

I've been into Bona for a good few years now, ever since Reverence came out!
A beautiful musician and a stunning human being! A genuine inspiration, not just for my bass playing, but just how to generally 'be'.

This picture is from the Jazz Cafe gig last year (yup, before I cut my hair off :) )
Si

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='Sibob' post='328889' date='Nov 14 2008, 09:36 AM']Glad others are catching on!

I've been into Bona for a good few years now, ever since Reverence came out!
A beautiful musician and a stunning human being! A genuine inspiration, not just for my bass playing, but just how to generally 'be'.[/quote]

+100

Took the words right out of my mouth... :)

Garry

+1, I remember getting home from the pub one night, turning on Jools just in time to catch Richard Bona doing the most amazing things with voice and bass, this must have been about the time that Reverence came out. Truly inspirational.

Can someone post the dates that he's playing in London? MacDaddy?

[quote name='Rich' post='329222' date='Nov 14 2008, 04:27 PM']He was like a one-man Ladysmith Black Mambazo at one point... real goosebump stuff.[/quote]
Loved that part too. Just goes to show that just because the room had lots of bass players in it, we weren't there [b][i]just[/i][/b] for the bass.

Edited by Thunderthumbs

Just got in from the Kendal gig.

What can I say that hasn't already been said. The guy just takes it to another level.

Hugely enjoyable. Great band too. The Nicoraguan (sp?) percussionist was astounding.

As a genre where would you place his music? Does it have a place?

Jazz? World? Roots?

Blown away!

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='329492' date='Nov 14 2008, 11:53 PM']As a genre where would you place his music? Does it have a place?

Jazz? World? Roots?

Blown away!

Peter[/quote]
I said pretty much the same thing last night to my mate. Great to hear something so naturally african, so obviously influenced by latin. It's a fantastic mixture.

[quote name='pete.young' post='329425' date='Nov 14 2008, 09:38 PM']+1, I remember getting home from the pub one night, turning on Jools just in time to catch Richard Bona doing the most amazing things with voice and bass, this must have been about the time that Reverence came out. Truly inspirational.

Can someone post the dates that he's playing in London? MacDaddy?[/quote]

16-Nov-08 RICHARD BONA BAND + Danilo Perez Trio Barbican

is all I can find, but check out the what's on part of London Jazz site

[url="http://www.londonjazzfestival.org.uk/index2nd.cfm?refid=14&tmpt=events&tmptID="]http://www.londonjazzfestival.org.uk/index...nts&tmptID=[/url]

otherwise Urb may be able to help?

I'm a huge Bona fan and I am always amazed by his playing... What bothers me sometimes is that I don't have a clue what he's singing.. Although you can feel the emotion in his voice it would be nice if I would be able to understand what he is singing about. After fifteen minutes of "yousoulouka nbugu es tgolla" or something (?) in that high voice I'm a little bit bored actually. He could be singing about the lack of garlic when he's cooking something and it still would be ok... But as a bass-player he is one of the strongest voices ever. That Fodera !

[quote name='Mike' post='329013' date='Nov 14 2008, 12:13 PM']Great! I've been a Bona fan for years too - Seen him about 5 times I think, including in NYC with Mike Stern, that was a hell of a gig.

Probably my favourite musician in the world![/quote]

Can't agree more with all of the above, Mr Bona is an incredible bassist with a really beautiful voice. I saw him at the 55 Bar in Greenwich Village, NYC with Mike Stern too- tiny little bar, probably my favourite gig i've ever been too. They were playing stuff off Stern's 'These Times' record on which Bona features on vox and bass, and which I strongly recommend listening to. Very friendly guy too, only too happy to chat afterwards. Will have to seek him out closer to home!