Kevsy71

SOLD Wal MK I 1985 English Olive Ash facings
£4200

For sale only: 1985 Wal MK I

Spec: 4-string olive ash facings, Brazilian mahogany core, Indian rosewood fretboard, with original case.

Price: £4200

38631168332_5b78d339c6_b.jpg

37945580064_fc35794bde_b.jpg

38631191062_f4ccb97b00_b.jpg

38663074131_4143913a51_b.jpg

24790981248_7e9119252c_b.jpg

Excellent cosmetic condition, no major marks,  there is some rubbing off of the varnish on the back from playing. Lots more hi-res photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157688924791651/with/24790981248/

Weight is 10 lbs 6 oz / 4.6 kg

Full working order, sounds superb epecially with the new DR Hi Beam 45-105 roundwounds I added. Case works fine, some scratches but all locks and handle work.

I'm the second owner having purchased from the original owner in person a few months ago. His original 1985 Bass Centre receipt, matching the serial number, is included. And there's an original Bass Centre sticker on rear of headstock :)

Selling because I've recently acquired a '64 P from a fellow Basschatter and unfortunately can't justify two high value basses! Price is firm because (for better or worse) that's what I paid. 

Payment: BACS transfer or cash. Feedback in my signature.

Trial/collection: Tonbridge, Kent, approx. 20 mins J5 M25.

Thanks for looking!

Kev

Edited by Kevsy71
Added weight

12 hours ago, saroumane2005 said:

Is your bass still available ?

Still on hold but I'll keep the thread updated of any changes. 

Be still my beating heart.

When I bought my Wal brand new in 1985 it was a toss up between an Ovangkol or an Olive Ash identical to this. I bought the Ovangkol and have regretted it ever since...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, v8bass said:

Best Facing Wood Ever ! 

A thing of beauty GLWTS 

Gary

'on of the' ;)

9 hours ago, White Cloud said:

Be still my beating heart.

When I bought my Wal brand new in 1985 it was a toss up between an Ovangkol or an Olive Ash identical to this. I bought the Ovangkol and have regretted it ever since...

What you do is buy one of each. Its hard to own only one Wal. :biggrin:

2 minutes ago, spuggy9 said:

Would you consider shipping to the states?

Hi - it's now on hold again, but thanks for asking.

....Very Very nice indeed!  I gather it's not Womble friendly?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, MB1 said:

....Very Very nice indeed!  I gather it's not Womble friendly?

We tend to go for recycled bitsas ;)

Off hold and available again - apologies, but due to CITES restrictions I won't ship outside the EU. 

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Alberto Rigoni
      Hello everyone!
      Long story here but I will try to be synthetic.
      Before Pete, owner of Wal, passed away in mid 2000, he started a project of a new bass together with Martin Sims of Enfield Guitars. After the death of Pete the project was put in  standby and only one year ago Martin Sims decided to complete it. When  I discovered that I purchased it, that was before Covid. Now after one year I received it but unfortunately due to financial issue I can't keep it so I have sadly to sell it. It looks and sounds gorgeous. Moreover is super versatile due to SIMS Super Quad Pickups and John East pre-amp. It's indeed absolutely UNIQUE. 
      Here follows the features:
      By Wal: Body: Mahogany core with maple top & back 5 piece Maple neck Super dark ebony fingerboard (24 frets) Bridge Polyester black finish By Sims: 2 Sims Super quad pickups with 3 way switch for each pickup (single coil, series, parallel) John East preamp (stacked knobs with gain and frequency control) Front and dot side less (you can choose between just dot and both dot and front side through the switch).   Hard case included but not Wal.

• By Antipodean
      Has anyone had problems with the controls on a WAL Pro bass. I didn't appreciate just how unique the knobs were until I tried to get a repair done. There are stalks that connect from the knob to the pot and these have sheared off on a couple of controls. The technician managed to repair these by glueing new ends on so that I could at least play the instrument. I can use all but one control were the glued on part came off. I don't know if WAL still supplies spare parts for these. I sent an email but no response. They might just be busy or in lockdown so I will wait and see. I guess I could probably get someone to custom make the stalks. Anyone else had this problem?
    • By rev_maximus
      [Price reduced to £3500 and open to offers]
      Hi 
      After some careful deliberation i have decided to sell my lovely Mk1 (lined fretless). I purchased this secondhand circa 1995 and it was my primary guitar for several years - gigging and in and out of the studio. But, as I've gotten older (and kids have come along) it is been used less and less and deserves to go to someone who will give it the love and attention it deserves. I am new to this forum so not sure of all the etiquette around selling, but I live in North London and would be happy to entertain visits if someone lived locally and wanted to try it out. (I have a SWR Redhead from back in the day)
      As expected, it has a mahogany core but with elm facings. There are a few scuffs on the body, although the lacquer along the neck is intact. Two screws are missing from the back plate. (It was last set up about 18 months ago, so the strings are equally as old, but i have hardly had it out the case in that time.) Hard case included in the sale, but it is not the original one.
      When sold i would prefer it collected rather than shipped, but can negotiate that as necessary.

• By Touchwood
      I am selling this for the family of a friend who has recently passed away. I have got  permission from the Admin (ped) to place this ad.
      Reduced to £4,750
      1987 Mk1Custom
      Brazilian Mahogany core
      Canadian 'Birdseye' Maple faces
      Indian Rosewood F/Board
      Full Flightcase
      Slight crack to front facing (cosmetic only)
      This bass was made by Ian Waller for a friend who has recently passed away and has had one owner from new.
      This is the first EVER Wal with a lacquer finish and was the start of Wal offering a lacquer finish option.
      Collection from Kendal, UK, or will ship for cost of shipping.

• By The Scuba Cult
      [SOLVED]
      Hey All,
      Do you guys know the exact make/model of these Schallers? The allen screws and washers are slowly gettin worn out; gear and worm drive are, too. Saw technical drawings of M4 and M4S and these aren't it.  Original owner for 18 years or so. I've been rough on her. . . vid