Why become a member? ×

Site Bugs - List them here

BigRedX

Question

I can't see a thread for reporting general site bugs and other weirdness, so I thought it might be a good idea to list them all in one place. If one does already exist, please merge this thread with it.

1. New posts don't always bump a thread up to the top of the list in a forum. I've seen this happen twice this morning, where someone had replied to a thread, but it still is in the place in the thread list where it was before the new post was made. Is this just a side effect of Basschat currently being slow in general or something different?

2. Marking content as read. There is an inconsistency in how this works. If I click the "Mark forum as read" text at the top of a forum listing I get a warning dialog box pop up asking me if I am sure. However if I mark a forum as read by clicking the "Speech Bubble" icon next to it the the forums list then there is no warning. IMO either the warning should apply to both actions, or it should only apply to clicking the "Speech Bubble" icon as this is easier to do by mistake.

3. No full editor for those of us who like to be a bit more creative with our BB tags and layout.

4. PMs from the old site have not migrated over. I can't remember seeing anything specific in the site migration threads that said "all you old PMs will be lost when the new version of the site goes live"

I'm sure there will be more to come...

1 hour ago, ped said:

Notification settings are at the top of the pop up notification window. 

Thanks. I tried clicking on the various email notification options but none seemed to work. This was when the site first went live though, over a few days. ill try it again. The notifications are working fine on the site.

I can’t upload photos, just hangs indefinitely. Frankly, although I’ve held back from commenting to this point, the site is now a complete PITA to use for me, slow as hell, can’t find content, search results are nonsense, and I’m frankly giving up. C

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I can’t upload photos, just hangs indefinitely. Frankly, although I’ve held back from commenting to this point, the site is now a complete PITA to use for me, slow as hell, can’t find content, search results are nonsense, and I’m frankly giving up. C

Not sure what's wrong there - uploads are much easier now, where are you uploading from? What's wrong with the search? again, that's 100% better than before... also the site is flying speed wise at the moment.

14 minutes ago, ped said:

Not sure what's wrong there - uploads are much easier now, where are you uploading from? What's wrong with the search? again, that's 100% better than before... also the site is flying speed wise at the moment.

Ped, can’t upload pics from phone, search results are different each search and miss loads of things that should show, and site is very very slow most of the time, has fast moments for sure, but especially on macbook/chrome is painful. Might be my settings but everything else runs fine. PITAto use at present, sorry.

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

Ped, can’t upload pics from phone, search results are different each search and miss loads of things that should show, and site is very very slow most of the time, has fast moments for sure, but especially on macbook/chrome is painful. Might be my settings but everything else runs fine. PITAto use at present, sorry.

Uploading from your phone is the same as from desktop, simply browse for the pic. What happens when you try? Works for me every time.

Can you give me an example of a search which delivers the results you describe?

Ped, I know how to do it, but site hangs when I try to upload photos, the timer/% icon sticks at around 1% and doesn’t move from there. Searched Mesa Boogie Venture several times yesterday and got different results every time. None of them showed the thread I wanted however! C

26 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Ped, I know how to do it, but site hangs when I try to upload photos, the timer/% icon sticks at around 1% and doesn’t move from there. Searched Mesa Boogie Venture several times yesterday and got different results every time. None of them showed the thread I wanted however! C

Looks like the threads with that specific term are over a year old so they won't be found at the moment for the reason Charic says above. You can search the site using google, add 'site:Basschat.co.uk' at the start. 

When you're uploading pics are they definitely 'on' your phone as opposed to stored in the cloud? I notice you're using an iPhone so when you choose the pic it should show a blue tick before you go forward. 

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

Hi Ped, yep, photos on phone not cloud. Re speed I get very slow times to open posts and server not responding error a lot still. C

Although we're going to be giving the server one hell of an upgrade still I have to think that your speed issues are mostly on your end of things as even on mobile data it's pretty snappy now.

Are you "browsing" the forum or using a content feed?  Is the speed better or worse on your computer vs your phone?

45 minutes ago, charic said:

Although we're going to be giving the server one hell of an upgrade still I have to think that your speed issues are mostly on your end of things as even on mobile data it's pretty snappy now.

Are you "browsing" the forum or using a content feed?  Is the speed better or worse on your computer vs your phone?

Slow to load on both, but unpredictable, fast one minute, slow or nothing next. Look forward to the server upgrade

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Speed issues have all but disappeared for me (PC, Win 10, Opera...), but if the 'Search' engine is the same as that used by the Activity Streams, I can confirm that it's, at best, 'flaky', and certainly unreliable. By its very nature, Searches can be difficult to reproduce when there's parameters such as 'Since last visit', or 'Unread' in there, but I see, every day, posts that should have been displayed flagrantly missed. An easy example: I've no posts at all captured for 'Site News', despite it being in my Activity Stream definition. I work around these foibles now, but they're a real pain when one cannot rely on getting the full content asked for. One day, perhaps; one day. :(

What kind of thing are you searching for?

As a for example, I could only find my feedback thread by looking for topics I created within my profile.  Wouldn't come up on the site search.  This was last updated less than a year ago.

From this end, I don't discern any speed issues.  It's only dropped out once on me, too... :)

Thing is with the current server we’ve been constantly changing the search index to speed things up and avoid problems. Once we move to the new server (maybe tomorrow) we can index the whole site and results will be consistent because we’ll stop fiddling with it. 

As with most things, you’ll find your own way of using the filters and options available. Everyone will use them differently so it’s impossible to solve everyone’s own individual needs without being physically at your computer.