Why become a member? ×

New site for Broughton Audio

dannybuoy

I think Josh is narrowing his product range. His first release was the P15 - little B15 preamp in a box. He's done a lot of custom building over the last year, including other valve pre designs. Some really interesting stuff.

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1507633263' post='3386851']His first release was the P15 - little B15 preamp in a box. [/quote]

I was following that thread all the way through and I still regret not getting one of those.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1507987360' post='3389171']
Thanks Dannybuoy, although being a HPF nerd I'm looking at the variable filters.
[/quote]

Hey Jus Lukin - if you're a HPF nerd I think you're exactly the chap whose brains I need to pick!

I'm finding that in certain venues I'm getting a muddy / boomy sound from my amp. I've worked out a couple of fixes for it including simply dialling back the bass EQ. But the bass EQ point is set quite low on my Markbass combo to deal with the muddiness, so I'm wondering if a HPF is going to be the answer?

Couple of Qs:
What would your recommend in terms of getting an HPF (compact, good quality, reasonable price)?
Does the HPF need to be between the amp and the cab or can it be on the pedal board?

It most definitely does not go between the amp and cab! You would be able to make a passive one that did I expect, but I've never seen one.

The only ones I'm aware of are the SFX Thumpinator, FDeck HPF, Broughton HPF, and Tech21 Q-Strip. Also the Mesa D800+ and Quilter Bassblock have variable HPFs (and plenty of other amps have a fixed one but don't advertise it, so you may not need one depending on your amp).

I have a Thumpinator but it's not on the board at the moment. But after watching my cones move like they did the other day, I'm going to stick it in a bypass loop and see how much of a difference it makes!

Edited by dannybuoy

Well I hope he doesn't mind me sharing this, but he's seen my post and responded by very kindly offering to loan me his HPF pedal for a week (as he's got a short gap between gigs when he's not using) and not letting me even cover his postage! Very generous and a complete gent!

It’s a community. That’s what communities do. We enable people to fulfill their addictions 😉

If Al Krow had lived local I’d have invited him round for a coffee and offered for him to try it at his next rehearsal so the small matter of next day delivery seemed like a pretty insignificant obstacle to that same offer.

Oh and I’ll say again if folk want to rent pedals check out fxpedalrental.com a fellow bc’er runs it and I’ve made use of it. A great service all round. I do believe they’ll try and get stuff in if enough people request it. I know they have the Q Strip in stock due to requests and the Geddy pre amp.

Edited by krispn

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1508861154' post='3394953']
Great breakdown there Mr. Lukin - very useful!
[/quote]
+1 to that! Many thanks JL

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1508860036' post='3394935']
A parametric or even semi-parametric EQ can zero in on a problematic frequency and reduce it to balance better with the frequencies around it. As those problem frequencies will change from room to room, this is the far better option for your requirements.
[/quote]
Which parametric or semi-parametric EQ pedals would you recommend?

Edited by Al Krow