Why become a member? ×

Further Jamerson Investigation

Bass_In_Yer_Face

As he has recently been voted the favourite player amongst us lot, I wanted to investigate some more of his playing. I was staggered by just how much he had actually played on.

I am aware of Bernadette (what a pretty bass line) and the early Jackson 5 stuff (more pretty bass lines) and a few Stevie Wonder tracks but what are the ones worth picking out before I go trawling throug the entire back catalogue!

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='324165' date='Nov 7 2008, 01:08 PM']motown gold 3 cd set is good. And get yourself the [b]standing in the shadows[/b] book too.[/quote]

+1
It has more than enough to get you going - the dots and famous players re-creating the lines on a couple of CDs

Oh and don't get into the "Carole Kaye played this and James played that" debate, It really doesn't matter.
Just listen to the lines. Pure brilliance.

I know that Jamerson's discography is comprehensive but is there a definitive list anywhere (Bilbo sees another opportunity to root around)?

I am writing a biography on Paul Chambers and have researched his discography. It is 127 pages long and contains at least 300 lps - all within a career that lasted only 13 years. There are a lot of these guys out there; I understand that Ron Carter has done over 1,000 cds. I have over 70 cds with Dave Holland on and know that there are many more.

I wonder who the most recorded bass player ever is/was? Will Lee has played with everyone but how many recordings has he done (genuine query - I know not)?

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='324183' date='Nov 7 2008, 01:34 PM']I know that Jamerson's discography is comprehensive but is there a definitive list anywhere (Bilbo sees another opportunity to root around)?[/quote]

There's a few here - [url="http://www.bassland.net/jamersonhits.htm"]http://www.bassland.net/jamersonhits.htm[/url]

I wanted to really get into more Jamerson magic and went through my collection using that list. I was quite surprised to find I already had 95% of those tracks!

I burned them all onto an mp3 CD which has never left my car CD player in 18 months :)

[quote name='Hamster' post='324193' date='Nov 7 2008, 01:50 PM']There's a few here - [url="http://www.bassland.net/jamersonhits.htm"]http://www.bassland.net/jamersonhits.htm[/url]

I wanted to really get into more Jamerson magic and went through my collection using that list. I was quite surprised to find I already had 95% of those tracks!

I burned them all onto an mp3 CD which has never left my car CD player in 18 months :)[/quote]

Are you taking orders? :huh:

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='324183' date='Nov 7 2008, 01:34 PM']I wonder who the most recorded bass player ever is/was? Will Lee has played with everyone but how many recordings has he done (genuine query - I know not)?[/quote]

I like old Will.
Funny enough i have been doing a bit of digging of late, regarding WL.
And the name of Neil Stubenhaus keeps popping up.
Christ he has played on tons of stuff. :huh:
He does a stonking [ In the pocket :) ] groove on Quincy Jones version of 'Killer Joe'.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='324183' date='Nov 7 2008, 01:34 PM']....I wonder who the most recorded bass player ever is/was? Will Lee has played with everyone but how many recordings has he done....[/quote]
The most recorded bass player is probably some anonymous 1st call guy in Nashville.
James Jamerson only recorded for Motown for 15 years so Joe Osborne, Anthony Jackson, Will Lee, Carol Kaye and most of the Nashville guy(s) must have overtaken him by now.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='324162' date='Nov 7 2008, 02:07 PM']Marvin Gaye's 'What's Going On' (the whole album) is essential.[/quote]
+1. (Babbit played on tracks 6 to 9 according to the sleeve notes)

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='324165' date='Nov 7 2008, 02:08 PM']motown gold 3 cd set is good. And get yourself the standing in the shadows book too.[/quote]
Watch the documentary too.

[quote name='spike' post='324260' date='Nov 7 2008, 04:45 PM']Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell

There's pretty much a different bass solo in every chorus[/quote]
+1.

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='324195' date='Nov 7 2008, 01:52 PM']Just heard 'Darling Dear' by The Jackson 5...OMFG...what a bassline. I am a convert![/quote]
Probably one of my favourite bass lines of all time......a tune on its own. Apart from the opening few bars, the rest is not repeated anywhere else in the entire song. How often do you hear a bass line like that these days?

Apart from "I Was Made To Love Her", the one track that really made sit up and notice his bass playing was "Chained" by Marvin Gaye.

I had a Marvin Gaye greatest hits and it was on that. I have never managed to get anywhere near it without sounding like I am strugging to play it.

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='324701' date='Nov 8 2008, 10:31 AM']....I had a Marvin Gaye greatest hits and it was on that. I have never managed to get anywhere near it without sounding like I am strugging to play it....[/quote]
Chained is a new one on me and I like it. Because James Jamerson only played with one finger on his right hand he used a lot of "raking" in order to drop down across the strings. He seems to be doing that here. Keep at it and it [i]will[/i] get easier.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='324324' date='Nov 7 2008, 04:50 PM']I don't mean to detract from Jamerson who is definitely the man but 60s Motown even when it's not Jamerson can still be great in the bassline - e.g. Tears of a Clown (Bob Babbit) or I Want You Back (Wilton Fielder).[/quote]

Mr Babbit was also the man on "Signed Sealed and Delivered" if my memory serves me right

[quote name='spike' post='324260' date='Nov 7 2008, 03:45 PM']Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell

There's pretty much a different bass solo in every chorus[/quote]

And then play it back to back with the Diana Ross version and hear the progression.

I love what he's doing towards the end of this version :)

[quote name='molan' post='325257' date='Nov 9 2008, 01:27 PM']And then play it back to back with the Diana Ross version and hear the progression.

I love what he's doing towards the end of this version :)[/quote]

I could be wrong, but I thought Bob Babbitt claimed the Supremes version?