Why become a member? ×

New Ashdown valve head

Merton

[quote name='bassmansky' post='335083' date='Nov 23 2008, 06:56 PM']im also a peavey and fender owner but i wouldnt stick up for either of them![/quote]
i still like my five fifteen , but its like cars if you get some bad ones it does put you off a bit . warwicks get some stick here sometimes ,but i do not throw the teddy out the pram because of it . as one mans meat is anothers poison , thats why these companies survive .
would love this new amp to be a winner but the price seems a little bit on the high side ,will have to see what happens when it arrives . :)

[quote name='jerseytrev' post='335097' date='Nov 23 2008, 07:27 PM']i still like my five fifteen , but its like cars if you get some bad ones it does put you off a bit . warwicks get some stick here sometimes ,but i do not throw the teddy out the pram because of it . as one mans meat is anothers poison , thats why these companies survive .
would love this new amp to be a winner but the price seems a little bit on the high side ,will have to see what happens when it arrives . :)[/quote]
agree with what you say,but it seems only ashdown gets slagged off on here when theres a lot of gear which is more unrealiable and not as good,(no names mentioned!)wasnt me who threw the teddy was it? :huh:

[quote name='bassmansky' post='335129' date='Nov 23 2008, 08:38 PM']agree with what you say,but it seems only ashdown gets slagged off on here when theres a lot of gear which is more unrealiable and not as good,(no names mentioned!)wasnt me who threw the teddy was it? :huh:[/quote]
no it was another have a nice day :)
asked if i knew what a fan was :huh:

Edited by jerseytrev

This isn't raised at anyone in particular, just in general:

Why do some people have such an issue with ashdown? Every company has had reliability problems here and there, ashdown is far from the first. In fact, i seem to remember certain black and yellow amps a few years back which had hideous reliability issues at the start, some of which have even been known to catch fire. Ashdown have had a few radical designs, sure -- the superfly was probably not the best technical execution of an idea in recent years -- but if you don't like it, because you don't have a use for outputs that can't be bridged, or whatever other issue you have with it, then don't f**king buy it. Whatever the trendy amp of the month is this month, I can guarantee you that it only got that way because it's makers took a chance on something new; weight reduction, design, whatever -- and luckily, it paid off.

I've got a PRC made, fanless, ashdown amp that i thrashed time and time again for a year and half without so much as a hiccup or complaint from it. it's brilliant. obviously YMMV, etc, but it's hardly a "joke".

"Try before you buy" seems to be the advice given around here all the time, except, of course, when it comes to speculation on ashdown products, and their subsequent bashing by.....err...oh so "knowledgeable" people.

[quote name='escholl' post='335177' date='Nov 23 2008, 10:05 PM']the superfly was probably not the best technical execution of an idea in recent years -- but if you don't like it, because you don't have a use for outputs that can't be bridged, or whatever other issue you have with it, then don't f**king buy it.[/quote]

...what about a horrible high-pitched whistle?

What did they do when that problem came to light? Recall them?

Nah... sold 'em off on the cheap.

Classy.

[quote name='escholl' post='335177' date='Nov 23 2008, 10:05 PM']"Try before you buy" seems to be the advice given around here all the time, except, of course, when it comes to speculation on ashdown products, and their subsequent bashing by.....err...oh so "knowledgeable" people.[/quote]

that really wasn't the point being made. it did go into reliability but would you spend a load of dosh on what is essentially an average amps preamp that isn't a valve preamp patched onto an all valve power section?

basically ashdown have turned into hashdown with their latest efforts. they're getting the naff stigma that trace elliot once had.

ashdown realyl should of just started afresh with this all valve head. 10 years of rumors of one and it's a lazy effort.

ashdown are a joke now. far too many products. 4 different 8x10's! they simply need a neo range, an ABM range and a MAG range for cabs. heads wise, ABM, MAG and the Valve and klystron stuff should simply be called classic with all valve pre's and SS power on the 1000 and 500 watters.

Edited by nash

[quote name='escholl' post='335177' date='Nov 23 2008, 10:05 PM']Why do some people have such an issue with ashdown?[/quote]

Because many people here past and present have had problems with them?

Back to the amp. Does anyone think that £1600-1700 is a reasonable price for a hybrid amp head, taking into account that the fully solid state version can be had for well over a thousand pounds less?

If they came up with a big beast of a valve amp, like the Trace V8 they'd have f*cking winner.

Edited by Waldo

Its funny how heated some of these opinions have got considering no one's even seen let alone heard/played this valve head, and Ashdown themselves said the correct specs weren't up on the site yet? I am looking forward to this and am looking forward to the real info going up there I heard a rumour that Dave Green who is ex matamp has had a hand in designing this head from the floor up its not just an abm with a valve power stage it will simply share features and controls. Shouldnt we wait till it comes out before we decide if its poo or not? I recall Mark Gooday saying in an interview a few years back that Ashdown would never do an all valve head so I think it must be something pretty special for him to bother. Anyway thats my bit and looking forward to giving one a blast when they come out in 2012. ;-)

[quote name='phatbass787' post='335201' date='Nov 23 2008, 10:45 PM']Its funny how heated some of these opinions have got considering no one's even seen let alone heard/played this valve head, and Ashdown themselves said the correct specs weren't up on the site yet? I am looking forward to this and am looking forward to the real info going up there I heard a rumour that Dave Green who is ex matamp has had a hand in designing this head from the floor up its not just an abm with a valve power stage it will simply share features and controls. Shouldnt we wait till it comes out before we decide if its poo or not? I recall Mark Gooday saying in an interview a few years back that Ashdown would never do an all valve head so I think it must be something pretty special for him to bother. Anyway thats my bit and looking forward to giving one a blast when they come out in 2012. ;-)[/quote]

Not being funny but on the one hand you're saying that we shouldn't be speculating about the amp and then you go and say that you 'heard a rumour' e.t.c. The two things don't really go together do they?

If it isn't just an EVO III preamp with a valve power stage, then perhaps Ashdown should hurry up and change the bit on the website where it explicitly states that? If I were making an all valve head with input from some guy from matamp, I'd sure as hell want people to know about that.

Edited by Waldo

[quote name='acidbass' post='335190' date='Nov 23 2008, 10:32 PM']Everyone has their own brand bias - justifiable or not. Isn't that what discussion forums are for? :huh:[/quote]

Sure, and if someone's had an issue in the past they'd like to share, then by all means, i think they should, it helps the whole community. But bashing a product that clearly isn't even finalized yet, just because a company has made some products in the past that someone didn't like?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='335191' date='Nov 23 2008, 10:35 PM']...what about a horrible high-pitched whistle?

What did they do when that problem came to light? Recall them?

Nah... sold 'em off on the cheap.

Classy.[/quote]

I'm hardly trying to say ashdown are the best company ever; i wasn't aware of that but that's completely unethical - if in fact that is the whole story. But sometimes it seems it's become cool to hate ashdown, to the point where that attitude starts to eclipse what's important - which is how the products perform. If performance is crap, then by all means, trash them for it -- but if not, at least give them credit where it's due.

[quote name='nash' post='335192' date='Nov 23 2008, 10:36 PM']that really wasn't the point being made. it did go into reliability but would you spend a load of dosh on what is essentially an average amps preamp that isn't a valve preamp patched onto an all valve power section?

basically ashdown have turned into hashdown with their latest efforts. they're getting the naff stigma that trace elliot once had.

ashdown realyl should of just started afresh with this all valve head. 10 years of rumors of one and it's a lazy effort.

ashdown are a joke now. far too many products. 4 different 8x10's! they simply need a neo range, an ABM range and a MAG range for cabs. heads wise, ABM, MAG and the Valve and klystron stuff should simply be called classic with all valve pre's and SS power on the 1000 and 500 watters.[/quote]

How it sounds defines it's worth -- if now one buys it, I'm sure the price will change -- but it's whatever the market will bear. If people will buy them at that price, then who's to blame? And what, only valve preamps can sound good now? As for starting afresh with this amp, well, it's not that easy. Good preamps can take years to design, and once a company gets one down they usually just tweak it as the years go by -- why NOT use the ABM preamp, which a lot of people already love, instead of risking a new design that might not go down so well? Besides, the rest of it, from the tube output stage to the power supply, was undoubtedly redesigned anyways.

And what does it matter how many product lines they have? :)

[quote name='escholl' post='335215' date='Nov 23 2008, 11:30 PM']But sometimes it seems it's become cool to hate ashdown, to the point where that attitude starts to eclipse what's important - which is how the products perform. If performance is crap, then by all means, trash them for it -- but if not, at least give them credit where it's due.

And what does it matter how many product lines they have? :)[/quote]

I can't speak for anyone else but my own feelings about Ashdown are mainly disappointment. When they first appeared in the 90s they had a great new product range with a smart retro look and a big fat tubey retro tone. All the reviews raved about how good they were.

Far from being an Ashdown basher I'm usually an Ashdown defender when I hear people say things like " I tried one in a shop and it sounded horrible" or the usual comments about them sounding woolly. I still think my ABM is the best sounding amp I've ever heard this side of an Ampeg SVT. I've also owned numerous MAG combos and ABM cabs and been perfectly happy with them

I just think Ashdown have lost the qualities and goodwill they had early on. To use a car analogy, when they first appeared they were maybe not the Rolls Royce but certainly the Jaguar of bass amps with an image of handbuilt quality, made in Britain - which still counts for a lot in many countries - reliable and with a strong brand image. They weren't the cheapest but people will always dig deep to pay for quality. These days they are looking more like British Leyland, with a confusing mish mash of products, no real brand image, a reputation for unreliability and an ability to produce exactly the opposite of people are buying in large numbers.

Does it matter how many product lines they have? Maybe not, but the companies that are having the most success are the ones that have one or two rational lines that give the majority of people pretty much what they want.

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='335228' date='Nov 24 2008, 12:11 AM']I just think Ashdown have lost the qualities and goodwill they had early on.[/quote]

Agreed. I'm often disappointed by them as well, not in their ideas but in their execution of them. Some great ideas wasted by carelessness.

Here's to hoping ashdown will wake up to that before it's too late.

phatbass787, just noticed you have a Classic Neo 4x10. any idea how that compares in weight to the ABM 4x10?

Thanks

Ashdown seem to be doing pretty well for a joke company, appearing in the backline on many a stage. Sure, they seem to do a lot of endorsements, but I'm pretty sure that the likes of Roger Waters, JJ Burnell, Guy Pratt, Mark King & Adam Clayton would be unlikely to use a product for regular performances if they were all as unreliable as seems to be inferred here.

To be honest, I started buying Ashdown for the sound. Nothing else sounded so great with my basses before I'd even touched a control on the amp. However I've gigged and rehearsed regularly with either an ABM combo or my main rack/cab setup and found them to be 100% dependable. Just my experience of course, but thought I'd give an alternative view.

As for the valve head, I've heard many people say that they wished Ashdown did a valve power amp. Now they're being shot down for doing so, before it has even been built never mind heard. We don't know exactly how the preamp part will be structured, but as the ABM or EVO preamp has been very successful from a sound quality/tone point of view, it seems logical to use that as a starting point. Does look a bit too pricy though!

Edited by jonsmith

i had ashdown recommended to me just as i restarted 2 years ago. glad i had as my mag 2x10 combo has been great for the last year and a half. still going strong and you cant beat the sound.
i would imagine the new valve version to be a similar sound to the abm but with more omph and that valvey edge. seems like a great package on paper.
and when you think of the price a say Hiwatt goes for they are in the same area. we'll just have to wait and see what its like.

£1600 for that... what rubbish.

I'm currently working with a friend on R&D on starting a small Guitar amplifier company (though we may just make them for friends and ourselves) and i could make something better for £300 parts costs (not counting valves, kt-88's are extremely expencive) with more versatility.

I find the bass-valve amp market very strange indeed, the amps that I'm seeing aren't nearly worth what they're asking in my opinion. Except the Marshall VBA, but that's ugly as sin.

[quote name='Adam.M' post='340240' date='Nov 29 2008, 01:49 AM']£1600 for that... what rubbish.

I'm currently working with a friend on R&D on starting a small Guitar amplifier company (though we may just make them for friends and ourselves) and i could make something better for £300 parts costs (not counting valves, kt-88's are extremely expencive) with more versatility.

I find the bass-valve amp market very strange indeed, the amps that I'm seeing aren't nearly worth what they're asking in my opinion. Except the Marshall VBA, but that's ugly as sin.[/quote]

OH WOE IS ME YOU'RE CRITICIZING ASHDOWN AND I OWN SOME OF THEIR GEAR

It does seem a bit of a valid point though; why is it that decent valve heads for guitar can be had new for about 300-ish pounds, even nice ones for about 500, and yet bass ones -- of less complexity, having only one channel and no reverb tank -- are at least twice as much, often much more?