Why become a member? ×

Buy Cheap backup vs. Modify

LewisK1975

Mulling this one over!

Since having my American Elite P-Bass in April, I re-developed a love for Precision shaped PJ Basses.

So, since I like to have a similar sounding Backup for gigs, I find myself trying to decide which of these options to do:

1 - Buy a secondhand Squier PJ I've seen locally (Buyer wants £150 with a Fender practice amp, may be able to knock down / just buy the bass without the amp)

2 - Modify one of my existing Precisions into PJ (either a Roadworn P or maybe the Harley Benton PB50)

Of course another option is: -

3 - Not worry about my backup sounding similar to my main bass.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated!

Ta muchly!

Images of local Squier, it's not an 'affinity' the small text on the headstock says 'standard' by the look of it:

[attachment=253151:$_86.JPG] [attachment=253152:$_86 (1).JPG] [attachment=253153:$_86 (2).JPG] [attachment=253154:$_86 (3).JPG]

Edited by LewisK1975

The Squier would be my option, you`d have a bass that will sound similar to the main but also not be an expensive instrument that would cause too much concern about leaving in a gig-bag unattended in a corner of a stage. Plus sell the amp on here for a few quid.

Thanks all I ended up buying the Squier, but you all knew that was coming anyway, right? :lol:

Turned out to be a really decent Bass, chap had bought it over 15 years ago, with the best intentions of learning to play but never really bothered.

No (and I mean ZERO) fret wear, truss rod works fine. Pots a bit scratchy (to be expected), Jack socket needed tightening. Strings were OK, still pretty bright. You can't see from the Gumtree pictures I showed above, but it's a Metallic Black colour.

Gave it a once over on the weekend, set it up to my taste and I'm really quite pleased! Perfect Backup Bass.

I was going to suggest buying the Squier, but it seems like you've beaten me to it. :D

It would be a shame to mod the Road Worn P into a P/J. Keep it standard and use it. The Harley Benton is another issue altogether, you could spend a fortune modding it, and it could be worth less second hand than it would be as a "standard" P. You could sell it on, now that you have the Squier (maybe with the little Fender amp?) and get a few quid back. Or keep it and mod it.

Either way, enjoy your new Squier.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1504872950' post='3367920']
3. this is just another GAS excuse ;)
[/quote]

Lewis - you know this is just another GAS excuse! lol
Sorry, I only just caught up with this thread, but my advice would have been "buy the Squier" anyway ;)
On the back of the headstock, does it say "Made in Indonesia"? - that's probably a Vintage Modified series
They did a P/J in the VM series - I know because I once had one

Enjoy your new Squier :)