Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Iceman - Anyone got one?

Woodinblack

Probably its the way you get from watching too many Rob Zombie videos, but I always liked the iceman shape, and on looking I found they did a 5 string at one point - the ICB305.

Seems after looking round no-one anywhere sells them so I guess they either weren't very popular, or weren't very good, or people didn't like the 5s, as there are quite a few 4s around.

Anyone have one that liked it or are they all looks and not that good?

I have a couple of the mid 2000's 6 string IC400's, and have owned a few other older 6 string IC's, including a 1978. They have a real Firebird/Thunderbird meets SG-type vibe going on
Never owned one of the bass versions though unfortunately. Played a couple, but never owned one. IIRC, the first IC bass came out in around 1995, to coincide with J Yeunger's IC Signature guitar, they did a bass version for Sean Yseult. They then reissued the IC's in the early 2000's, with a bolt neck guitar & bass, as well as a set neck guitar & bass.

There was a checker-board finish one for sale on here last year. Don't know if it sold.

[quote name='Lightlyseared' timestamp='1503954944' post='3361855']
Greco made an Iceman shaped 5 called the Mirage, they show up on Ishibashi and other Japanese sites now and then.
[/quote]

Would expect Greco Mirages to be a lot less common than Ibby Icemen (Icemans?) as Greco is technically a Japan-only brand.

The original Iceman & Mirage guitars from the late 70s are the same instruments - a Fujigen Gakki build (and possibly design) sold as both Ibanez and Greco - and probably a few other names as well, back then.

Always fancied an Iceman bass.

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly a fun thing - does go well with the tbird. I will still keep a watch out for a 5 but I am pretty happy with this at the moment!

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1503944393' post='3361737']
There was a checker-board finish one for sale on here last year. Don't know if it sold.
[/quote]

It has now!

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1504942457' post='3368410']
That is a thing of beauty.
I'm sure it'll sound as good as it looks.
[/quote]

LOL. No surprise you'd like that! Though, the checker-board finish might be a little tame for your stage persona.
Rex Thunderbolt needs a 4 string with a body like this.....
[url=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-Customized-Paul-Stanley-Model-PS10-Japan-Swarovski-Rhinestones/172799296137]Ibanez 2016 Paul Stanley Model PS10, with the Swarovski Rhinestone Treatment.[/url]
...... which would be in keeping with a certain drummers mirror-ball mask. ;)

Edited by clivem

• 3 months later...

Oh thats nice. Is its balance any worse than the 4 string one, I suspect so with the extra machinehead, although it does balance the headstock much better

Quite subtle compared to mine, but I do like it. Although I am not actively looking for that sort of thing at the moment, there is always a bit of an eye open for one.

• 5 years later...

i had an icb500 neck thru with the mother of pearl binding. i sold it in London many years ago.

It was maybe the coolest bass i owned! such a cool look and the craftsmanship was insane. i don't like a bolt on iceman. too chunky, but it is to me a top 3 body shape