Why become a member? ×

Short scale semi-acoustic

GussyG

Hi there fellow bass peeps.. first post here, just looking for some nfo/opinions on topic title
I'm looking into buying a semi ac ... to help with my tonal armoury in the studio, I have a stingray 5 and a JD super natural and I'm very happy with them, but.... but I've had a few jobs come in and I'm in need (from time to time) of that retro tone that I just can't get from my long scale bass's.
looks aren't that important as I'm not gigging anymore, it's all about the tone!!! I'm looking for that classic woody retro tone, flat wound strings with that clumpy midrange sound, I have a budget of around £500 (could push a bit more for the sound) not in a real hurry so prepared to wait for the right one to come along
thx in advance bass peeps

Pretty sure there's something in the ibanez artcore range that may fit the bill.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-agbv200a-tcl-tobacco-burst-low-gloss/128530?gclid=Cj0KCQjw24nNBRChARIsALldLD13iV-GY6Io32LkgBO0Qy9w27gfQSyiyHGanjCeYajNPUd3EdyGumMaAj92EALw_wcB

Edited by Brett

Look at Supro's Huntington models I,II & III. There's also Italia. The Imola and Maranello Cavo basses are two that spring to mind. How about a Hofner Verythin. Spector's shortscale semi is lovely but expensive.

Can't think of anything else obvious. Gretsch Electromatic?

I've no idea what the price of these are off the top of my head.

[quote name='GussyG' timestamp='1503850532' post='3361170']
Hi there fellow bass peeps.. first post here, just looking for some nfo/opinions on topic title
I'm looking into buying a semi ac ... to help with my tonal armoury in the studio, I have a stingray 5 and a JD super natural and I'm very happy with them, but.... but I've had a few jobs come in and I'm in need (from time to time) of that retro tone that I just can't get from my long scale bass's.
looks aren't that important as I'm not gigging anymore, it's all about the tone!!! I'm looking for that classic woody retro tone, flat wound strings with that clumpy midrange sound, I have a budget of around £500 (could push a bit more for the sound) not in a real hurry so prepared to wait for the right one to come along
thx in advance bass peeps
[/quote]

If your solid body basses are long scale then personally I'd go for a long scale semi; of which there are some great examples - Epi Jack Casady, Lakland etc - easier for hand memory when swapping between basses and personally i don't think a shorter scale adds anything positive to the tone. I have 3 short-scale semi's - a Gibbo EB-2, EB-2D and a Vox Wyman, but use a long-scale Steve Smith custom "EB-2" strung with TI flats for gigging - by the sounds of it I was going for exactly the same sound as you.