Why become a member? ×

If you had to inspire a beginner.....

Bass-ic

I was just reading the 'what was the last bassline you taught your self'
It is a really good thread. However, it did make me think. So far I have only been learning songs that I like and that I know well. Because of this I am sort of stagnating a bit, so here is the question, If you had to reccomend one song for a begnner to learn, what would it be?

I am very curious to hear what you all think.

Cheers

Matt

:)

Edited by Absolute-beginner

For a complete beginner, I'd say some Greenday (Warning as it's got nice semi walking bassline, or Minority as it's easy peasy) or Blink 182 (Anthem Part II, Dammit, All The Small Things. perhaps What's My Age Again, or Rock Show).

For people who can play a bit and want a bit more of a challenge, I'd go with Rage Against The Machine: Killing In The Name, timing is easy, but hammer on's and it's over all the strings strings makes it a challenge initally, just gotta watch out for the flourish on the 2nd verse. It's also a nice introduction to drop D tuning.

Or on a more classical sland, the melody from Greensleeves, fairly simple once you work it out, and it's quite a good transcribing exercise if you can partly read treble clef but not bass clef.

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='mewsie' post='321425' date='Nov 3 2008, 11:07 PM']groove is in the heart![/quote]

A great line from Bootsy Collins!

I think the answer is to get a beginner to learn one of their favourite riff-based songs, be it Cream, Hendrix, RATM, Muse, Nirvana, Black Sabbath, Pantera, Metallica, Funkadelic, Stevie etc.

i was Listening to Queen when I started. Another one bites the dust etc

The next stage was Eric Clapton - '24 Nights' - I learned everything Nathan East played and then speeded it up from 33 1/3 rmp to 45 rpm and learned it again

Next stage was Cream stuff and then status quo and finally Pink Floyd before rounding out everything with the chilis.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='321486' date='Nov 4 2008, 12:51 AM']For a beginner?????

McEnroe....."you cannot be serious"![/quote]

In all seriousness, sitting at home learning songs only goes so far. Your best bet would be signing up with one of the Weekend Warrior schemes or similar. Two dads I know have signed up with a place called the realistic rock academy in Epsom and are realising a lifelong desire to learn drums and guitar respectively.

They get a few months to work on a set's wroth of material before playing a gig at the pub next door. It's a great idea.

On a more serious note than my last post, a lot of muse stuff is fun to play and not overly tough. Citizen erased is good for timing at the start and also stamina (7mins, phew!). New born is great fun once you practise the verse riff for a while. When i started, I learnt that pretty quickly, but that was about it! Quite amusing being a total beginner then whipping it out.

The riff too.

:)