Why become a member? ×

If you had to inspire a beginner.....

Bass-ic

[quote]Another thing I'd suggest is going to blues jams from as early a time in your development as possible. It's very good for getting over nerves and developing your ear in a live environment. And if you're good, job offers can come out of it.[/quote]

+1. I was a classical player & learned to improvise & play by ear at blues jams in my late teens. Absolutely fundamental!

My Neice is about to get a bass and practice amp for her 13th birthday. Unfortunately due to distance I can't provide any hands-on motivation or tuition. Can anyone recommend a start-from-zero type of DVD to get her playing?

Edited by obbm

[quote name='obbm' post='321621' date='Nov 4 2008, 10:52 AM']My Neice is about to get a bass and practice amp for her 13th birthday. Unfortunately due to distance I can't provide any hands-on motivation or tuition. Can anyone recommend a start-from-zero type of DVD to get her playing?[/quote]

Hal Leonard stuff is easy to pick up and noodle and teaches the theory behind it as well if you need/want it.... I found it very useful to start with.
Also has a few genres to aim for which is better than trying to steer towards one style which I can imaging could be off putting for a youngster.... ?

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='321522' date='Nov 4 2008, 07:57 AM'].......am writing all this down. I know its very lazy, but learninfg all this via the tab method, which I have been doing up to now. Good or bad.

Ta very much for all your input tho, keep 'em coming. i have loads of space on the Tascam!
Matt

:)[/quote]

No single song although I keep trying the bass solo in "My Generation" when I want to push myself......still trying though. However to really improve join a band, you will never look back!

I don't know what I'd get them to learn but I know what I'd get them to listen to - Donny Hathaway Live featuring Willie Weeks on bass. The bass is nice and upfront in the mix, the tone is huge and fat and the playing goes from absolute minimalism to all-out 16th notes and crazy fills and is always deep in the pocket. Everything a bass player should be!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='321662' date='Nov 4 2008, 11:29 AM']I don't know what I'd get them to learn but I know what I'd get them to listen to - Donny Hathaway Live featuring Willie Weeks on bass. The bass is nice and upfront in the mix, the tone is huge and fat and the playing goes from absolute minimalism to all-out 16th notes and crazy fills and is always deep in the pocket. Everything a bass player should be!

Alex[/quote]
+1
The solo on Voices Inside (Everything Is Everything) is fantastic.

[quote name='ARGH' post='321533' date='Nov 4 2008, 08:14 AM']....Stax...Any Duck Dunn.on an Otis Redding track...total pocket perfection....[/quote]
The Blues Brothers... Duck Dunn, again, being solid, steady and effective with as few notes as possible.

[quote name='tombboy' post='321811' date='Nov 4 2008, 02:18 PM']Pretend Best Friend by Terrorvision
Great tone and melody in the bass.
[/quote]

Am liking this one!

thanks to absolutely everyone who took the time to put something in here. I am now off to learn that lot as soon as I can.
any other suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers
Matt

I actually learnt these four last night.
Safe From Harm
Peaches
Groove is in the Heart
Woo Hoo (sort of, as it isnt perfect yet)

Right! am off to raid mates music collections for the rest, as i am mp3 download retarded. Think BBC and the studio!

Thanks very much for all the info.

Cheers

Matt

:)

'All Shook Up' by Elvis, Scotty and Bill. Basicly it's boogie line based. Learn blues boogie lines with Ed Friedland's 'Blues Bass' book/CD. I can also recommend the 'Play Bass With The Beatles' which unusually for soundalike tracks has vocals so you don't lose yourself songwise. 'Can't Buy Me Love' is fast but easy if you simplify the chorus to be two double fourth fret notes and two double second fret notes twice (clear as mud huh?).

Tab is great for getting your confidence up but eventually you'll have to work out a line from scratch. Part of how people do this is 'oh, this feels a bit like that other song I know.. how about a fifths thing? maybe a truncated boogie line?' etc.

Word a warning for tab though, is remember it's often just some music hack's idea of how to play the bassline. I now have two wildly different versions of 'I Can See For Miles' from Faber and Hal Leonard. I've already spotted an obvious error in the Faber Deep Purple book for the second riff in 'Black Night', now way would Glover fly back up the top of the neck to play a B when one's available in the seventh and ninth frets he's riffing in...

Edited by cytania