Why become a member? ×

Carlsbro Stingray Old School UK Made 100 Watter
£35

ash

This is an 80's amp that I'm selling because of a move to a smaller house. It's a very old Carlsbro and though it's rated around 100 watts it's plenty loud enough to compete with a drummer and great as a starter or backup amp. It's the one with the filter buttons that cut and boost the signal. It works as it ought to although it's a bit rough cosmetically and has been serviced over the years. No trades sorry and pickup preferred but I can post for a tenner UK only. It's probably more of a nostalgia item for bassists of a certain age but it's a testament to old UK companies like Carlsbro that it still sounds pretty good!

I used a Cobra 90 combo and a JV Squier for years. No backups.I bought it used from Chase Music in Manchester for £125. Our drummer who was an electrician put a balanced line on it and we replaced the speaker when it eventually blew with a Celestion. The only reason the speaker blew was heavy use by other bands as it became our rehearsal place's amp on loan as it was so efficient. It was a great little amp for the money and served me well for about 9 years! I'd love to get that one back for nostalgia's sake I've still got the JV Jazz.

The original Cobra was 60 watts and had a 12" speaker and then they brought out the 90 version that was also available as a head. I'd love to hear what a Cobra 90 would sound like through a modern cab like a Bareface.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1502310075' post='3350643']
The original Cobra was 60 watts and had a 12" speaker and then they brought out the 90 version that was also available as a head. I'd love to hear what a Cobra 90 would sound like through a modern cab like a Bareface.
[/quote]

Through a decent cab the carlsbro stuff sounded ok. I put my stingray head (from a Stingray 2x10 combo)through an Ohm 2 x15 and it sounded excellent. Through the carlsbro 2 x10 cab it was provided with, it sounded shocking. I put a B string through it once, at living room volume, and almost blew a speaker.

• 2 weeks later...