Why become a member? ×

Opinions on these Fender's??

Linus27

Looks like I am having no luck getting a Teal Musicman for my budget, plus my budget has shrunk a little so I am looking at maybe getting a Fender Jazz bass for now. I am looking at the following,

Fender Jazz Highway One in wine red £489
Fender Standard Jazz in wine red £350
Squire Vintage Modified Jazz £225

The Highway one might be a little bit over my budget but I may get a second hand one if I can find one in wine red.

Just wondering what peoples opinions are of these basses and how they compare to each other in quality and sound.

Thanks for any advice.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='319540' date='Nov 1 2008, 11:29 AM']Quality wise - probably not a patch on your ESP 400 :)[/quote]

HAHA good one. My ESP is in need of a little attention or the neck is so she has been put to sleep for a while. I want a bass that can be my workhorse and I can use and abuse :huh:

Ive got a first gen Wine red HW-1. The neck is fantastic. In fact ive had this neck on two differnt basses. I got a HW-one P last year and that to was nice but i didnt get on too well with the neck so the Jazz neck went on while i had it.

When i went to get it (my first Jazz) it played the best in the shop, including the USA ones they had.
And of course it was the cheapest.

I never use it these days as i fell out with the jazz tone but i kept it as im sure ill need a Jazz at some point.

I would offer to sell it but to be honest it looks a bit of a state due to the finish falling off. Its been very well looked after but it looks about 30 years old.

Quality wise im not too sure whats the best but i really like the finish on the HW-one so that would get my vote.

Id go for a SUB musicman personaly.
they are great instruments and you get roughtly the same tone as the Musicman.

AND CHEEP right now.

Ive really gone off fenders because of the build quality. I pop down the guitar shop every few weeks to see whats in an I like to play about on as many as I can, but they are so hit and miss its untrue. even started liking Warwicks over fenders which I never thought I would.
But Musicman has to have the best build quality over all, its hard to find a bad one.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='319577' date='Nov 1 2008, 12:42 PM']Ive really gone off fenders because of the build quality. I pop down the guitar shop every few weeks to see whats in an I like to play about on as many as I can, but they are so hit and miss its untrue.[/quote]

Thats totally the opposite to what ive been hearing about the latest 2008 USA Fenders.
In fact ive not read any negatives about them. Nore the HW-one serise.

Still, Fenders aren't for everyone so i understand people not liking them

The Squier VMJ has had fantastic reviews, and is a really truly Jazz Bass to play. If price comes into it, it becomes a very serious contender indeed. I've been seriously tempted myself - Squier build quality and components are getting better day by day it seems. I've a Squier Telecaster that's just a darn good Tele, and no apologies for the decal!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='319566' date='Nov 1 2008, 12:22 PM']Ive got a first gen Wine red HW-1. The neck is fantastic. In fact ive had this neck on two differnt basses. I got a HW-one P last year and that to was nice but i didnt get on too well with the neck so the Jazz neck went on while i had it.

When i went to get it (my first Jazz) it played the best in the shop, including the USA ones they had.
And of course it was the cheapest.

I never use it these days as i fell out with the jazz tone but i kept it as im sure ill need a Jazz at some point.

I would offer to sell it but to be honest it looks a bit of a state due to the finish falling off. Its been very well looked after but it looks about 30 years old.

Quality wise im not too sure whats the best but i really like the finish on the HW-one so that would get my vote.[/quote]

Do you have any piccies you could post or send me. I have read lots about the paint flaking off and I would love to see to what extent it does and how it looks.

Pound for pound the Squire is a snip, but you may want to upgrade the pups (the weakest link of it IMO), Fenders quality this year (of the ones that I've seen), is some of the best for a while.....

Last few years were quite shonky, but I feel they have got thier act together with this years models.

The H1 is going to be a constant (from your list) they are not quite a US Fender but they are damn good for the money (especially of you can get a clean undionked 2nd hand one.... eg ask Voxpop! :) ) If you can get a 2ndhand US fender for sensible money which you can at the min, of your list thats what I'd go for.....

My advice FWIW is dont jump in (unless its imperitive that you get is asap) with what you see for sale NOW as next week might be an absolute doosey come up and you'l kick yourself for buying in haste.....

all stated with the caveat obviously that its IMHO.....

[quote name='Linus27' post='319636' date='Nov 1 2008, 02:44 PM']Do you have any piccies you could post or send me. I have read lots about the paint flaking off and I would love to see to what extent it does and how it looks.[/quote]

No but ill take some monday morning and post them for you.

I'm gigging my Squier Vintage Jazz tonight, as I want to hear how it compares to my MIA Precision deluxe that I gigged last night.
It's a big line up to cut through, drums, keyboard and I think four guits :) .

I think the VMJ's are a cracking bass and very good value. I guess the electrics are the weak point. So I've changed the pickups to wizards and will probably at some point change the controls and install some shielding.

Straight from the shop, if you get a good one they are certainly playable and gig ready. I did try three or four before I found the one that I felt was right for me.

All the best, Gary.

H1 Jazz is a great bass. All my other basses have come and gone, stingrays, Marcus Millers, Geddys, Ibanez etc etc, but the H1 is still by my side, and paired up with my Singray at last nights gig, they were both just awesome. I particularly enjoyed last nights gig as I could crank the amp up and really drive the tone. Together with the Pro 400, the H1 and the 'ray are just brilliant. Enough said.

Is the Squier VMJ still in production? It's not on the Squier site anymore.
The VMP is, along with the Dirnt, Wentz, Affinities and Classic Vibe series.
No VMJ in evidence.

Not too bothered, as I've already got one. Very good it is too for a £225 instrument. I agree that the electrics may well be the weak link.
Mine just has a BadAss II and nice Schaller control knobs on it. So far.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='320278' date='Nov 2 2008, 04:49 PM']Is the Squier VMJ still in production? It's not on the Squier site anymore.
The VMP is, along with the Dirnt, Wentz, Affinities and Classic Vibe series.
No VMJ in evidence.

Not too bothered, as I've already got one. Very good it is too for a £225 instrument. I agree that the electrics may well be the weak link.
Mine just has a BadAss II and nice Schaller control knobs on it. So far.[/quote]

VMJ is still on the site. Here is the link,

[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?section=basses&cat=jazzbass"]http://www.squierguitars.com/products/sear...mp;cat=jazzbass[/url]

Still undecided though on what to get :):):huh:

Linus. Just took these of my HW1.
This is after a year's usage. Ive not used it for about 2 years now.
I do look after my gear and i have never had the back go like this on any of my basses.
The paint was just rubbing/falling off. Its still got the costing on the patches, just not the paint. The front is obviously where i rest my hand (pick playing).

DB5.....

Whilst you feel that 'worn' look might put folks off buying or otherwise..... THATS exactly what Fender intended to happen with teh Highway series and the primary reason they finished it with a thin coat of cellulose paint, so that it gets the 'used look' very quickly ....

Indeed thats what its name suggest..... Highway one...... (looks like its been on the 'highway' for some time)

So its done exactly what it should have done and looks rough and ready.... some like that look! and you should be pleased it looks used as it obviously has..... good on yer...! :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='321627' date='Nov 4 2008, 10:59 AM']DB5.....

Whilst you feel that 'worn' look might put folks off buying or otherwise..... THATS exactly what Fender intended to happen with teh Highway series and the primary reason they finished it with a thin coat of cellulose paint, so that it gets the 'used look' very quickly ....

Indeed thats what its name suggest..... Highway one...... (looks like its been on the 'highway' for some time)

So its done exactly what it should have done and looks rough and ready.... some like that look! and you should be pleased it looks used as it obviously has..... good on yer...! :)[/quote]

Oh yeah, that old wives tail. Based on that i guess people who own a HW-one/1 and the paint doesn't come off are up for a refund then ;-)

Thats one of the reasons i sold the HW-one P so quickly. While im sure it would have lasted longer than the Jazz im pretty sure this is not a selling point when putting an add on BC.

Still, a fantastic bass though and i cant see me ever selling it (or using it much TBH).

i would say go for a Squier VMJ but seriously look into the Classic Vibe, in my opinion it is a better feeling bass and I nearly bought it on the spot when I picked it up. I have not had a feeling of joy like that since I picked up my Roscoe Beck V for the first time. The only thing that stopped me was the lack of a string!

[quote name='chris_b' post='321673' date='Nov 4 2008, 11:51 AM']Wouldn’t your budget be better spent fixing the ESP?[/quote]

To be honest, this crossed my mind the other day and it is something that I need to do as the bass has a lot of sentimental value. However, as it does have sentimental value, I want to cherish this bass and so not use it as my workhorse. So this is the reason to get another fretted bass that I can use and abuse if need be.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='321607' date='Nov 4 2008, 10:17 AM']Linus. Just took these of my HW1.
This is after a year's usage. Ive not used it for about 2 years now.
I do look after my gear and i have never had the back go like this on any of my basses.
The paint was just rubbing/falling off. Its still got the costing on the patches, just not the paint. The front is obviously where i rest my hand (pick playing).

[/quote]

Thanks for the photo's Dave. It certainly looks worn in :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='321703' date='Nov 4 2008, 12:23 PM']Nobody has really given any feedback on a standard Fender Jazz? Is this because they are crap and not worth the money? Are they made in Mexico? Just wondering why nobody has made any comments about them but have said the Squire is awsome.[/quote]

Yeah the standards are made in Mexico. I've got a Mexican jazz that I've always been happy with, however I tried a few before I bought it & the quality did seem to vary. I'm sure other basschatters will back up that Fender seem to make the odd runt, especially from the Mexican lines.