Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

My own experience - I currently work slightly odd split day, 7-10 at home, then go to the office for 10:30, then leave at 4. This means that the postie almost always gets to me before I leave for work. They've never not knocked and just carded - if I get a card, it's when I've gone out before they come round (because the card isn't there before I leave the house). I get quite a few deliveries too, so I have a reasonable sample size.

Obviously, though, these things aren't consistent - after all, some people find Herpes and Yokel to be good couriers.

[quote name='beely' timestamp='1493579776' post='3289238']
I see these sort of posts from time-to-time and, as a postie myself, thought I would respond and, hopefully, put a few misconceptions to rest.

Perhaps the biggest of these misconceptions is that sometimes the postie will not try too hard to deliver a parcel as it is “too much work/can’t be bothered/doesn’t have time/is a twat”.

Let me run this past you.

Actually delivering an item involves:-

[indent=1]Knocking on door or ringing bell[/indent]
[indent=1]Waiting for householder to answer[/indent]
[indent=1]Scanning item and getting signature if required[/indent]
[indent=1]Handing item over to householder[/indent]

[indent=1]Not delivering an item involves:-[/indent]

[indent=1]Scanning item[/indent]
[indent=1]Filling out P739 card[/indent]
[indent=1]Re-scan item as “Not delivered”[/indent]
[indent=1]Carrying said item for the rest of that particular loop or taking it back to the van[/indent]
[indent=1]Applying “P739 left” sticker to item[/indent]
[indent=1]Unloading item on return to office[/indent]
[indent=1]Returning item to callers office for filing/storage[/indent]

I’ll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

This post had all the potential to turn into a mega-rant but hey, Guinness calls. :)
[/quote]

You sound like what a post should be. Most of the posties who deliver things to me are good, but some have been like this:

[indent=1]Scan item as “Not delivered”[/indent]
[indent=1]Apply “P739 left” sticker to item[/indent]
[indent=1][s]Knocking on door or ringing bell[/s][/indent]
[indent=1][s]Waiting for householder to answer[/s][/indent]
[indent=1][s]Scanning item[/s][/indent]
[indent=1][s]Knocking on door or ringing bell[/s][/indent]
[indent=1][s]Waiting for householder to answer[/s][/indent]
[indent=1]Filling out P739 card[/indent]
[indent=1][s]Re-scan item as “Not delivered”[/s][/indent]
[indent=1][s]Carrying said item for the rest of that particular loop or taking it back to the van[/s] it never left the van[/indent]
[indent=1]Unloading item on return to office[/indent]
[indent=1]Returning item to callers office for filing/storage[/indent]

[indent=1] :thank_you:[/indent]

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1493542594' post='3288962']
Well that's a pain! I've been waiting on some strings from Status to get my new bass ready for gigging. Yesterday the postman leaves a card on the mat when I was in, on a bank holiday weekend no less, so I can't get the package til Tuesday. If he'd rung the bell I could probably have had the bass ready by then, instead I'll have to go down to the depot before I can even get it to my guy for a setup.

Cheeky, lazy buggers.
[/quote]

I sympathise. I have noted that the posties here do not ask for a signature for "Signed For" labelled packages that they deliver here at our domestic address. They neglect this duty as a rule and I have given up telling the sender to ask for their "Signed For" fees back! I can't complain to the Royal Mail because of their intolerable chicanery when you try to reach someone in their organisation. If it ain't on an automated telephone handling system, they simply don't want to know. I can't get on with those very well because of the Tinnitus. After five minutes of repeated promises that "We are really interested in your call" I am almost incapable of hearing a true human voice when the line gets answered, typically, a half hour later. It then takes another good half hour for the noise in my head to subside.

It was not my intention to hijack your topic with my personal problems in trying to make a complaint however.

I think time constraints make a lot of posties take the short cut of assuming that the resident is out at work before they deliver. They then, perhaps, push the card (already filled in) through the letterbox without knocking.

Every time a postie knocks, he/she has to wait a reasonable time for an answer. Whether they get an answer or not each door knock adds time to their route. I can easily see how some would skip door knocking altogether.

One question though... Have you got an intimidating dog? I just ask in case fear of dog attack might be responsible.

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1493585447' post='3289292']
The one thing missing is sometimes they dont ring. I've been home waiting for deliveries , ( yes plural cos it's happened more than once ) and wondered where they got to, only to think the postie never turned up

Next day, check letterbox ( i live in a block so make a once a day visit to the ground floor ) and find they simply stuck a card and in and hot footed it
[/quote]

This is precisely the nub of this topic. There was no audible ring or knock.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1493586018' post='3289304']
You should make a complaint and demand a refund for the postage costs as they failed to deliver.
[/quote]

I did that when my Tax Return documents got shoved through without a knock. The envelope was torn so that the contents were visible. It had a "Signed For" sticker.

I suffered about 40 minutes of telephone hell with the Royal Mail before I got to the relevant person. They offered nothing other than to take note. I rang HMRC and again suffered over half an hour of automated telephone annoyance. I told the HMRC rep that they were paying for a service that, in this instance, was not carried through as per the terms. In other words the item was not signed for. No attempt had been made to ask for a signature either. I know because I was there at the time. HMRC didn't seem all that bothered!

Nearly an hour and a half to make a simple complaint by telephone is [u]not[/u] acceptable. Having tried it once, I wouldn't waste my time with them again on someone else's behalf. Crikey, even if I had paid for the "Signed For" sticker myself and later found it had been ignored, I'd think twice about complaining. Life is too short as it is without wasting it on paper pushers.

I agree though. You should complain.

An experience of mine a while ago...

Wednesday 8.30am:
Having breakfast, I hear the sound of a letter or similar being pushed through the letetr box. No knocking or ringing. I assume it's just the usual mail and I'll check it later.
When I checked, I found it was a red "sorry you were not in" card, about a parcel delivery.
The card was dated MONDAY.
It also said they'd try to deliver on Wednesday again, and if unsuccessful I'd have to collect from the depot.

That was ParcelForce.

Oh, how I laughed... <_<

This is exactly why Amazon is taking over the planet!

Pay them for Prime and you not only get free TV channels but you can schedule your deliveries for exactly when you want them, and if things don't arrive on time they have a complaints dept who will bend over backwards to apologise and promise to make everything better. They're certainly not perfect, but it's complete genius to set up a service that will routinely deliver at weekends or after work.

Got in from work today. A red Royal Mail "Sorry we missed you" card was on the floor.

The card said my parcel could be collected from the Royal Mail Feltham Delivery Office. I live in Cheshire. The Feltham Delivery Office is 190 miles away.

Some kind of delivery person (I don't know if it was the postie or a parcel delivery bloke) actually barked at our dog today, in lieu of knocking on the door or ringing the bell.

Normally parcels just get dropped in through the side door, but with my wife being away, and the fact that when the sun is out like it was today the utility room gets really warm, so the dog was sleeping by the door... I really don't blame him for not knocking, she was making a fierce racket so not much point anyway. I can't even blame him for barking, she can be very loud and annoying.

The problem is that he left the parcel leaning against the outside of the door, to cook in the heat. I went down to see if there was anything but saw no parcel and no card so thought nothing of it, until a couple of hours later when I though to check outside. I know the thinking would be that we would see the parcel when we got home (no car in the drive) but as a rule I don't leave the house and my wife is away until Sunday.

Fortunately the electronics in the parcel weren't damaged. But I'm [i]really[/i] glad I decided not to order the paints that I had planned to, that would have been expensive and very messy (though not quite as bad as the time a box with £300 of soap in it was left hidden behind our wheelie bin for a fortnight, in the rain!).