Why become a member? ×

Stingray type custom build...

LukeFRC

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1504457878' post='3364995']
Good one. I assume the setting up was uneventful. On mine I had to open out a bridge hole for example.
[/quote] other than the fact the finish had made all the holes and lips smaller it all worked first time - even the electronics! The only hitch was that I had moved the switches up a bit without realising that was my space for the battery box - it all fitted though sans the battery box ! Intonated well too which was my big fear.

I even ended up playing it for two services at church and it did well - even if I did keep turning the eq knobs the right way. In the mix the p bass/L1000 sounds like you would expect, and the stingray sound sounds good too and is the most fun - it's got that clicky stingray top end thing going on.
Oh and the sustain is crazy - this is me coming from through neck warwicks which aren't lacking. The combination of the super tight neck joint and the hefty block of brass retaining the strings?

Lovely job, you must be very proud of it
I have done a couple of string through basses and a couple of Tele style guitars with the brass ferrule block and I would agree, it does seem to add to the sustain. I've tried the basses top loaded, but they seem better strung through the body
Nice one, you've inspired me to get my finger out!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So an update... I played this a bit, it needed a bit more of a set up and I wasn't sure about the sound, nothing sounded good!

Then in an unrelated incident my amp blew up and I was without it for two months...

Got it fixed and first thing I wanted to do is finally finish this bass... 

Switched the pickups around. The "Classic bass" in the neck position gives more high end and slightly hollow mids which does kinda P bass type sound.
The "Original bass" in the bridge gives me the tone that I enjoyed in the pink bass, more of the punchy low mids with a bit of fatness to them... sounds good. 
The "jazz setting" needs the preamp set up differently but gets a kinda jazz bass like single coil tone thing going on. 

So the thing that I've learned is I think I've over build the bass - the super tight neck joint and and good bridge and thru body make it all feel very solid. It is quite bright resonant accoustically and it sounds quite clean and controlled. The 'warmth' of the wood isn't there as much! 

What's been really nice is since I got my amp back is that it's the "go to" bass. It's fun to play:)

• 1 year later...
On 02/01/2018 at 22:21, LukeFRC said:

So an update... I played this a bit, it needed a bit more of a set up and I wasn't sure about the sound, nothing sounded good!

Then in an unrelated incident my amp blew up and I was without it for two months...

Got it fixed and first thing I wanted to do is finally finish this bass... 

Switched the pickups around. The "Classic bass" in the neck position gives more high end and slightly hollow mids which does kinda P bass type sound.
The "Original bass" in the bridge gives me the tone that I enjoyed in the pink bass, more of the punchy low mids with a bit of fatness to them... sounds good. 
The "jazz setting" needs the preamp set up differently but gets a kinda jazz bass like single coil tone thing going on. 

So the thing that I've learned is I think I've over build the bass - the super tight neck joint and and good bridge and thru body make it all feel very solid. It is quite bright resonant accoustically and it sounds quite clean and controlled. The 'warmth' of the wood isn't there as much! 

What's been really nice is since I got my amp back is that it's the "go to" bass. It's fun to play:)

Any chance of a pic or two of the finished bass? Realise it's an old thread but it's a shame the originals have vanished.. 😣

Edited by BassTool

Here’s the finished body and a few of it built into a bass... it’s a good instrument, obviously nails that stingray sound on the rear pickup as it essentially is a stingray (ie pup position and circuit are correct) 

on the neck pup it’s got more of a p thing going on, it’s got the brighter classic series pup on the neck which I don’t like as much tonally as bartolinis original series in the bridge... but select that pup and change your right hand attack and it gets to P bass territory. 

The single coil option gets towards jazz type sound, you have to majorly rebalance the preamp to get it sounding good, so it’s not quite as easy as turning it on, but it’s passable. Favouring the bridge pup with that switching option in single coil also sounds good 

so it’s great! The downsides for me is that: 

I Finished it slightly too dark to the point it looks a bit boring- I should have gone for a glitter finish! 

And ive got three other amazing basses that get played first, And like a lot of self builds the parts secondhand cost more than together... I’ve always bought basses kinda knowing that if you buy secondhand you can usually move them on and not loose to much. Building yourself, unless you are really skilled nobody will want your bass and you built it more for the joy of building. Different mindset.

Currently a friend is borrowing this. 

9164B36A-54F9-4B74-8F09-7870238C1EC6.jpeg

13F4271E-F240-42C0-86B2-2E5A01BC94E2.jpeg

83A2B60C-1CA2-4246-9EA2-241720002ED5.jpeg

52F74B17-CEB5-41BB-AEC9-78BC761F1F3A.jpeg

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Great work!

Now I've seen them I'm not sure I can... But then I wear Crocs around the house so what do I know!

I was advised to wear crocs by my podiatrist. I bought several pairs so I can always have a different colour on each foot. Some people react very strangely to that!

49 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I was advised to wear crocs by my podiatrist. I bought several pairs so I can always have a different colour on each foot. Some people react very strangely to that!

Awesome! I had my first pair so long I wore a hole through the sole...

11 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Awesome! I had my first pair so long I wore a hole through the sole...

My Crocs have a nice big hole in the sole from when I stood on a nail, straight through and right then through my foot, but to the credit of the crocs, it didn't penetrate the top of the shoe so I guess it could've been marginally worse. When I pop out to the garden during the winter and get a wet foot I'm reminded of that fateful day and resultant trip to the hospital ;)

Eude

4 minutes ago, eude said:

My Crocs have a nice big hole in the sole from when I stood on a nail, straight through and right then through my foot, but to the credit of the crocs, it didn't penetrate the top of the shoe so I guess it could've been marginally worse. When I pop out to the garden during the winter and get a wet foot I'm reminded of that fateful day and resultant trip to the hospital ;)

Eude

Ouch! Never had a nail, but did have a nasty thorn incident...

Slightly off this off topic discussion (sorry OP!) I also once stood on the blunt end of a darning needle my mother had dropped on the carpet and assumed it would "turn up"... Which it did, and embedded a full 1/2" into the bottom of my right foot...

Edited by Bigwan

Just now, Bigwan said:

Ouch! Never had a nail, but did have a nasty thorn incident...

Slightly off this of topic I also once stood on the blunt end of a darning needle my mother had dropped on the carpet and assumed it would "turn up"... Which it did, and embedded a full 1/2" into the bottom of my right foot...

Very nice!

2 weeks before the nail incident, I was demolishing an enormous 4.5m X 4.5m shed in our garden which was hand built by the previous owner of our house who was a professional bodger. I was taking the massive roof panels off with a bolster and a dead mallet to break off the nails holding them on, up a 2 metre ladder on my own. Lost my balance, managed to land on my feet, albeit on concrete which hurt a lot, only to realise the bolster, which I'd dropped, had landed sharp end up and gone about 20mm into my shin when I had my "lucky" landing.

The nail I stood on 2 weeks later was from somewhere on that enormous shed. I hated that shed, but I won!

IMG_20170611_192030614.thumb.jpg.a8cee948ccfb4e53eb8913c0e3d08085.jpg

Back on to basses though, @LukeFRC, great work on that bass!
I like the finish as is, but sparkley would've been very cool too...

Eude

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, eude said:

Very nice!

2 weeks before the nail incident, I was demolishing an enormous 4.5m X 4.5m shed in our garden which was hand built by the previous owner of our house who was a professional bodger. I was taking the massive roof panels off with a bolster and a dead mallet to break off the nails holding them on, up a 2 metre ladder on my own. Lost my balance, managed to land on my feet, albeit on concrete which hurt a lot, only to realise the bolster, which I'd dropped, had landed sharp end up and gone about 20mm into my shin when I had my "lucky" landing.

The nail I stood on 2 weeks later was from somewhere on that enormous shed. I hated that shed, but I won!

IMG_20170611_192030614.thumb.jpg.a8cee948ccfb4e53eb8913c0e3d08085.jpg

Back on to basses though, @LukeFRC, great work on that bass!
I like the finish as is, but sparkley would've been very cool too...

Eude

I've never stood on a nail but I fired a 64mm paslode nail straight through my thumb! It ricocheted of another nail on the bit of timber I was holding and then through my thumb and exited through my thumb nail!! I tried to pull it out but couldn't so I then had to drive to the hospital with a lump of timber still attached, what made it worse it was my left thumb so every time I changed gear it knocked against either my leg or the gear stick which wasn't too pleasant!! 

But back to your bass @LukeFRC it looks great!! 😀 

1 minute ago, Jimothey said:

I've never stood on a nail but I fired a 64mm paslode nail straight through my thumb! It ricocheted of another nail on the bit of timber I was holding and then through my thumb and exited through my thumb nail!! I tried to pull it out but couldn't so I then had to drive to the hospital with a lump of timber still attached, what made it worse it was my left thumb so every time I changed gear it knocked against either my leg or the gear stick which wasn't too pleasant!! 

My god that sounds painful - but what a great argument for automatic transmission!

9 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

Jings, that does sound bad! Did it take your thumb nail with it?!

4 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Slightly off this off topic discussion (sorry OP!) 

No worries - if we’re reviving a build thread from over a year ago why not talk about nails in hands? 

Never done it myself mind, most painful injury I’ve had was the lime burn to my finger - dipping it in vinegar to neutralise it was agony 

35 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

No worries - if we’re reviving a build thread from over a year ago why not talk about nails in hands? 

Never done it myself mind, most painful injury I’ve had was the lime burn to my finger - dipping it in vinegar to neutralise it was agony 

Well if we're going down the line of chemical burns... Silver nitrate to the nethers when you've infected vasectomy wounds is right up there! 

Edit: I took it too far, didn't I? I could hear the virtual sharp intake of breath from you all....

Edited by Bigwan
  • Thanks 1

On 10/01/2019 at 07:41, LukeFRC said:

Here’s the finished body and a few of it built into a bass... it’s a good instrument, obviously nails that stingray sound on the rear pickup as it essentially is a stingray (ie pup position and circuit are correct) 

on the neck pup it’s got more of a p thing going on, it’s got the brighter classic series pup on the neck which I don’t like as much tonally as bartolinis original series in the bridge... but select that pup and change your right hand attack and it gets to P bass territory. 

The single coil option gets towards jazz type sound, you have to majorly rebalance the preamp to get it sounding good, so it’s not quite as easy as turning it on, but it’s passable. Favouring the bridge pup with that switching option in single coil also sounds good 

so it’s great! The downsides for me is that: 

I Finished it slightly too dark to the point it looks a bit boring- I should have gone for a glitter finish! 

And ive got three other amazing basses that get played first, And like a lot of self builds the parts secondhand cost more than together... I’ve always bought basses kinda knowing that if you buy secondhand you can usually move them on and not loose to much. Building yourself, unless you are really skilled nobody will want your bass and you built it more for the joy of building. Different mindset.

Currently a friend is borrowing this. 

9164B36A-54F9-4B74-8F09-7870238C1EC6.jpeg

13F4271E-F240-42C0-86B2-2E5A01BC94E2.jpeg

83A2B60C-1CA2-4246-9EA2-241720002ED5.jpeg

52F74B17-CEB5-41BB-AEC9-78BC761F1F3A.jpeg

Great job Luke thanks for those B|

• 3 weeks later...

Missed this entirely first time around. Just read it all in one go. Thank you for replacing the final pics. I screamed when they weren't there. Talk about the video breaking before the money shot.

This has utterly convinced me never to even try to make my own bass! But I love reading other people's stories. Bit like climbing mountains or being lost at sea. 

Fascinating, inspirational but I don't think I'd survive it myself.

Edited by stewblack
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Missed this entirely first time around. Just read it all in one go. Thank you for replacing the final pics. I screamed when they weren't there. Talk about the video breaking before the money shot.

This has utterly convinced me never to even try to make my own bass! But I love reading other people's stories. Bit like climbing mountains or being lost at sea. 

Fascinating, inspirational but I don't think I'd survive it myself.

It’s lots of fun, and making stuff is kinda how my brain relaxes and works - however it is also not a cheap way to get a bass! 

8 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

It’s lots of fun, and making stuff is kinda how my brain relaxes and works - however it is also not a cheap way to get a bass! 

I get fired with enthusiasm, go at it like sa bull at a gate, break something, lose the will. Not the right project for me.