Why become a member? ×

Stingray type custom build...

LukeFRC

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1503388326' post='3357698']
That's my boy, that's my boy ;)

Hoisted by my own petard, then, I wait patiently with only a soft drumming of fingers on the table.... :)
[/quote]

When I've done other refinished I've used paint that takes ages to dry - it's chestnut's melamine lacquer this time and I'm a bit out of kilter by how quickly it dries - I could be going way faster!

I've now got a completely flat surface of lacquer! with a bare minimum of tiny shiny spots - there are about 4 spots where i went through the finish to the wood so doing a quick restain and then will give it a couple more layers before the final sand back and polish....!

The good thing is that the burst to black means that going though the finish at the edges looks like it was almost planned! :D

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1503436942' post='3358324']
When I've done other refinished I've used paint that takes ages to dry - it's chestnut's melamine lacquer this time and I'm a bit out of kilter by how quickly it dries - I could be going way faster!

I've now got a completely flat surface of lacquer! with a bare minimum of tiny shiny spots - there are about 4 spots where i went through the finish to the wood so doing a quick restain and then will give it a couple more layers before the final sand back and polish....!

The good thing is that the burst to black means that going though the finish at the edges looks like it was almost planned! :D
[/quote]
Can't wait to see the finished finish :)

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1503649197' post='3359884']
Quite amazing that someone has put time, some thought (ok not much) and effort into that!
[/quote]

Not wanting to distract from the real build in this topic but I want to know the back story to that. I suppose that's the attraction for relics right there. The relic look is not something I'd pay for but it's hooky none the less.

Then, I'd never pay for pre-washed, worn look jeans either. I get enjoyment out of actually wearing out jeans from new. Same with my basses. I'd feel I was cheating otherwise.

I fully support projects like Bridghouse's P builds "next door" having said all of that. I have to admire the amount of care that goes into looking like nobody cared that much.

'Nuff OT chatter. I'm going back to twiddling my thumbs whilst waiting to see Luke's latest photos.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1503609146' post='3359725']
Car crash chic. Where did you find that specimen?
[/quote] I think I typed [i]worst bass guitar finish ever[/i] into google image search.
[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1503655629' post='3359970']
I'm sure Luke won't mind a little deviation! I agree with you, all that switching has had to be thought through. At least it can't be accused of being style over substance!!
[/quote] deviate away. I went to Edinburgh this weekend so nothing's been done.
Having been a resident for Edinburgh for many years I forgot the number one rule - avoid during august - actually that's unfair, if you are up for the festival it's amazing.... if you're up to do things like live or visit fiends having 5000 slowly meandering tourists between where you were and where you wanted to be is well annoying!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1503989121' post='3361911']
I think I typed [i]worst bass guitar finish ever[/i] into google image search.
deviate away. I went to Edinburgh this weekend so nothing's been done.
Having been a resident for Edinburgh for many years I forgot the number one rule - avoid during august - actually that's unfair, if you are up for the festival it's amazing.... if you're up to do things like live or visit fiends having 5000 slowly meandering tourists between where you were and where you wanted to be is well annoying!
[/quote]

I never visit fiends willingly.

Heeheehee. Did you see anything special from the festival while you were there though?

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1504005454' post='3362039']

I never visit fiends willingly.

Heeheehee. Did you see anything special from the festival while you were there though?
[/quote] no - literally was visiting friends and the festival happened to be on. Would have enjoyed the end of [international] festival fireworks on Monday night but that wouldn't have worked with work on Tuesday!

So a lot of sanding through the grades from 400 up to 2000 grit

Good things - it looks pretty good
Bad things - the laquer was a far bit thinner than I thought so I've rubbed through in quite a few places - bummer it's also worn the stain off - I think the solution is a Sharpie - good thing the edge is black eh? Almost like I knew this would happen! I need to polish and buff way more but then you will all get photos :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1504213235' post='3363502']
So a lot of sanding through the grades from 400 up to 2000 grit

Good things - it looks pretty good
Bad things - the laquer was a far bit thinner than I thought so I've rubbed through in quite a few places - bummer it's also worn the stain off - I think the solution is a Sharpie - good thing the edge is black eh? Almost like I knew this would happen! I need to polish and buff way more but then you will all get photos :)
[/quote]
Worth trying a spot of the original stain to take the whiteness out of the rub through (as it is a rub through, it should be absorbent to a certain extent), let it fully dry and then use a permanent sharpie (I use the staedtler permanent pens we used to use for overhead transparancies...nostalgia or what!) just to darken the edges and, if necessary, go over the top. This should lessen the possibility of a 'different shade of black' from the sharpie showing through.

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1504247893' post='3363580']

Worth trying a spot of the original stain to take the whiteness out of the rub through (as it is a rub through, it should be absorbent to a certain extent), let it fully dry and then use a permanent sharpie (I use the staedtler permanent pens we used to use for overhead transparancies...nostalgia or what!) just to darken the edges and, if necessary, go over the top. This should lessen the possibility of a 'different shade of black' from the sharpie showing through.
[/quote]original stain ain't working :(

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1504347833' post='3364246']
Despite the set backs, I like the look of it.

That second photo with a reflection in the back of the body of the stone building is impressive. (Wink) - Are you sure you didn't photo shop that?
[/quote] pretty sure!

Oh and it's finished!

So it sounds like new strings at the moment!
It's got a lot of sustain and kinda neutral sound - the musicman preamp sounds great so with just the back pickup in parrallel it sounds well a bit like a stingray - move to the neck pickup and roll off the treble a bit and it's close to the precision L1000 type sound. Select the outer coils of each pickup and it's kinda jazz bass like, but not that like one if you get my meaning - nice sound. The roll off one of the pickups slightly setting works really nicely.

Bridge series and neck single coil is another nice sound. But mainly it currently sounds like new strings