Why become a member? ×

Stingray type custom build...

LukeFRC

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1500933131' post='3341222']

Erm - it works!
I'm not really an expert on routers - this one has done everything I've asked it to though.
I think especaillay using the brushing guide you need bits with longish shanks - but that might be a common problem/issue
I think that the depth lock sometimes vibrates slightly loose.
I've no complaints.... except if I were in a position to ask again I would ask folk who know more if I would be better with something that does a 1/2inch shank cos it was a question I was asking when I was looking for bits.
[/quote]
Cheers mate. I suppose it is the quality of cutting bits that matters.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1500936828' post='3341244']
How deep to folk do their control cavities?
[/quote]
It's looking good, Luke. There's some very accurate and neat cutting and routing going on here...

Ref the depth of the control chamber, it's a bit the other way round...more ' what thickness of your top do folk leave over their contol chambers.'

Basically, you need, at the thinnest area, to be able to get your pot threads pushing through enough to get the washer and nut on. I drill my pot holes first so I can see how close I'm getting. Five way switches are also a bit of a challenge - it's got to be deep enough for the switch to fit under the cover (and they can be very deep) and the top has got to be thin enough for the blade to be able to go to the two end extremes.

Once you've roughed it out, go very carefully with the router, little bit at a time and checking and rechecking the thickness.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1501248217' post='3343611']
Sounds good - it's a rotery 5 way switch - mainly cos I couldn't work out a way to cut the slot for a strat style switch accuracy
[/quote]
OK - makes sense. Do remember to chisel or drill a slot for the little tab on the five way put there to prevent the switch body turning in use. I don't generally bother with the standard pots, but the twisting resistance on a 5 way is high, so you will need that extra stability.

It's a bit scary getting the chamber bottom (which of course is actually the guitar top) thin enough - if you have a choice, aim for reasonable thread length on the threaded portion of the pots. Certainly don't go for the short thread ones, which are designed for fitting to an aluminium or steel amp chassis

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1501250577' post='3343632']
OK - makes sense. Do remember to chisel or drill a slot for the little tab on the five way put there to prevent the switch body turning in use. I don't generally bother with the standard pots, but the twisting resistance on a 5 way is high, so you will need that extra stability.

It's a bit scary getting the chamber bottom (which of course is actually the guitar top) thin enough - if you have a choice, aim for reasonable thread length on the threaded portion of the pots. Certainly don't go for the short thread ones, which are designed for fitting to an aluminium or steel amp chassis
[/quote] balls.

though come up with a plan B

So as Andyjr1515 pointed out to me... I got the wrong length thread on the switch. The treble pot is a bit short too but you try finding a large selection of 1m rev log pots!

Anyway a bit of fitting with a spare bit of the aluminium, and it doesn't get in the way of the battery box (an old warwick one I had in my spares box with the rest of the guts of my Streamer)

Put everything together and it looks kinda bass shaped!
Today I was rushing a bit and a few things went wrong... I struggled to get the holes drilled for the pickup cavities and the bridge wire... and in doing it managed to mess up the edge of the bridge of wood between the pickups.
I also managed to go all the way through when drilling for the pickup screw - so I've got a tiny hole in the back - should be easily solved. There was something else that went a bit squiffy but I can't remember what.

tidied the workshop and put the tools away - then remembered that I forgot to make the cut for the control cavity cover...

Sanded down through the grades for ages to 400 grit - easily marked wood this!

This is it with a bit of white spirit on it.
When this dried I wiped it down with water to raise the grain and then went to water the tomatoes.

oh I drilled the holes for the strap locks too big - that was the other thing. Plugged with glue and cocktail sticks so you'll never tell when its done.

The bonus was I found I am two screws and two of the lock washers away from a set of Dunlop strap locks.
The pink bass had Schaller strap ends and I switched the strap from my thumb bass.

Of the two I don't get why anyone in their right minds would go for Schaller - without fail the nut comes loose every so often which means the whole thing will fail. Why they don't make the thread a bit longer and use a lock nut I don't know :(

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1502038011' post='3348890']
It's looking good, Luke.

I particularly like the 'reverse strat' jack arrangement. Looks very professional :)
[/quote] thank you - it was the best bit so far - first bit that is kinda "finished" and pulling the backing off the sheet to expose the black anodisation was a very good feeling. :)

And thanks Basstool too :)

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1502306305' post='3350613']
Loving this Luke, fantastic work, you must be chuffed so far!
[/quote] fairly - I think the most exciting bit just happened though...

So building up layers of stain starting blue grey and getting darker and adding more of the black.... so I just painted the edge black and then hopefully blended it in - the middle though lifted some of the deep black showing a more bluey black colour - if it dries as good as it looked wet I think I've managed a pretty cool burst effect!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1502312141' post='3350660']
fairly - I think the most exciting bit just happened though...

So building up layers of stain starting blue grey and getting darker and adding more of the black.... so I just painted the edge black and then hopefully blended it in - the middle though lifted some of the deep black showing a more bluey black colour - if it dries as good as it looked wet I think I've managed a pretty cool burst effect!
[/quote]
Any pics yet? :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1503039956' post='3355185']
Any pics yet? :)
[/quote]actually learning from you about not putting any 'finishing' pictures up when in progress.

Sanding sealer on, tried to work out the grain filler but it didn't seem to work so don't think that was too successful. also managed to run through a couple of places - on the back thankfully.
Couple of layers of laquer on now - waiting a bit then will flat down and do more layers...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1503040274' post='3355187']
actually learning from you about not putting any 'finishing' pictures up when in progress.

Sanding sealer on, tried to work out the grain filler but it didn't seem to work so don't think that was too successful. also managed to run through a couple of places - on the back thankfully.
Couple of layers of laquer on now - waiting a bit then will flat down and do more layers...
[/quote]
That's my boy, that's my boy ;)

Hoisted by my own petard, then, I wait patiently with only a soft drumming of fingers on the table.... :)