Why become a member? ×

Which Tuner?

phil_the_bassist

Ok, so I'm fed up with one of my minions never having his bass in tune and I want to recommend his rents get him one for crimbo. He's started gigging, but uses one of the little plug-in, plastic jobbers so he has to unplug every time he wants to tune up and i think it's a bit more hassle than he needs atm.

I know the Boss TU-2's the industry standard that everyone knows and loves (i had one for about 5 years before selling it about a month or so ago)...and even tho it's about a gazillion quid more expensive than a tuner pedal should be, I've got a Strobostomp that I've fallen for and I dislike tuning with anything else (like the elitest Prick that I am! :) )!

So these are the only two tuners I've got any real experience with, and I'd like some honest reviews of the current market.

What do you guys use? I've seen Korg have a tuner pedal that looks pretty hardcore, but is it any good? are there any others I should look at?

TIA!

I use a TU-2 and it has never let me down. Sure it was quite expensive, but I've never regretted paying the premium for it. I also have one of the Intelli clip on ones for the guitar (IMT-500) and it also works quite well on the bass – especially if you tune on the 19th fret harmonics. It's handy because it's so small and I've been using it more and more since it's easier to chuck in a gig bag if I'm just taking my bass. It wasn't cheap either but it's handiness makes up for it.

The only other tuner pedal that I've had experience with was a Fender stomp box one that a friend had (PT-100 or something similar to that) and I wasn't too impressed with it. It didn't seem to be as fast or as accurate as the Boss, at least with a bass. Worth paying the £15 extra for the Boss IMHO.

Edited by ~tl

I have 2 Korgs;

A GT-3 (pocket type affair) which is very small, light and accurate enough. Only thing is, it won't mute whatever's going through it, so no silent tuning like a TU-2 would give.

A DTR 1000 ltd rack-mount. Wicked.... you can run a footswitch to it for muting, but I can do that at my head or pre-amp anyway. Best £150 I ever spent. Everyone tunes through it at gigs.
The snags? Price and the need for a rack, size.

The TU-2 is serviceable enough, but obviously a Strobostomp or summat will be better (and more expensive!)

[attachment=15169:12710.jpg]

I have the planet waves pedal tuner... got to be the easiest to use that I have tried. Sweep or Strobe mode. True bypass and big easy to read digits... not the cheapest out there at £60 ish... got mine from PMT/Sound Control

Edited by Monz

[quote name='The Burpster' post='314623' date='Oct 25 2008, 06:01 PM']Korg DT 10 on the pedal board... I reckon top VFM.....

Gassing for a Peterson strobe meter for set ups tho'...... :huh:[/quote]

the strobo's AWESOME! defo expensive, but I came into some money (the joy of living near newbury racecourse :huh: ) and splashed out!

The Korg will look the part for my Metalhead Protoge, and that planetwaves one looks like it's worth checkin out in real life too! I don't think he'll approve of the whiteness of the Boss tho :)

Thanks for all the help, I;ll letch know what he goes for!

I have a DTR2000 in my rack but in my pedalboard I have just switched to a Korg Pitchblack. It's as accurate as the rackmount version, true bypass and very small. I upgraded from a DT-10, which I upgraded from the tone sucking TU2.

[quote name='Muppet' post='314690' date='Oct 25 2008, 07:40 PM']I have a DTR2000 in my rack but in my pedalboard I have just switched to a Korg Pitchblack. It's as accurate as the rackmount version, true bypass and very small. I upgraded from a DT-10, which I upgraded from the tone sucking TU2.

[/quote]

Does the tu2 affect your sound then ?

[quote name='johnnylager' post='314716' date='Oct 25 2008, 08:22 PM']f*** it, I'm selling the TU-2 and getting a Pitchblack - check [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnosoyhQaHs"]this[/url] out :)[/quote]
does he say 'input for your guitar or kettle'?!

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='Muppet' post='314690' date='Oct 25 2008, 06:40 PM']I have a DTR2000 in my rack but in my pedalboard I have just switched to a Korg Pitchblack. It's as accurate as the rackmount version, true bypass and very small. I upgraded from a DT-10, which I upgraded from the tone sucking TU2.

[/quote]

Oh, great-here I am saying 'I am completely GAS-free-there's nothing whatsoever that I need at the moment'. Now this appears. Oh, well, Xmas is on the way.

[quote name='Monz' post='314621' date='Oct 25 2008, 04:58 PM'][attachment=15169:12710.jpg]

I have the planet waves pedal tuner... got to be the easiest to use that I have tried. Sweep or Strobe mode. True bypass and big easy to read digits... not the cheapest out there at £60 ish... got mine from PMT/Sound Control[/quote]

I have two of these - one for home & one for rehearsal / live work.

Biggest selling point for me is the super clear readout, you can see through the heaviest fog of dry ice :)

• 2 weeks later...