Why become a member? ×

What Multi-effect pedal??

MoJoKe

I don't normally use pedals, just occasionally my trusty old Aria Chorus, but it died yesterday!!

I also tried a Basspod, but hated it... Way too digital and complicated and nothing on the floor to kick!

I am thinking of buying a new multi effect, mainly for a bit of chorus, octaver and some echo/looping. I don't really want to spend hundreds, as it don't think I'll get full value from it, what should I buy??

As others have said, the Zoom is fantastic value for money and has some great sounds. And a big plus over some other designs is the DI out.

But if you want simplicity and, and only use a few sounds, I would have a look at the Line 6 Floor Pod. Its very simple to use, but does only have a few core effects, eg compression, chorus, octave and flange (there is a synth, but its pants). And as you would expect from Line 6 the amp modelling is great, although from memory you only get half a dozen models.

The compressor is actually as good as any pedal compressor I've used.

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='simon1964' post='314341' date='Oct 25 2008, 08:39 AM']But if you want simplicity and, and only use a few sounds, I would have a look at the Line 6 Floor Pod. Its very simple to use, but does only have a few core effects, eg compression, chorus, octave and flange (there is a synth, but its pants). And as you would expect from Line 6 the amp modelling is gerat, although from memory you only get half a dozen models.

The compressor is actually as good as any pedal compressor I've used.[/quote]
Like [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29838"]this[/url] maybe?

Hey there,

Well i've been using a Korg AX3000B for about 2 years now and i think they're fantastic! No looping and no DI out, but it makes it for it with it's fantastic effects, the Chorus, Delay, Distortions, Fuzzes etc are very good, especially when combined with the expression and control pedals and i find even the Synth is very usable. And it's cheap cheap cheap too! I've seen them go for less than £100 and that's a bargain! It's been the key stone of my effects chain for a very long time now and even though i've integrated many single stomps into my setup, the one pedal i could not gig without would be this multi!

Hope that was some help,
Rich

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='314262' date='Oct 24 2008, 11:51 PM']You could do a lot worse than this - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27910"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27910[/url]

Great price as well for a great bit of kit :huh:[/quote]

I think if you want to do looping that is probably the only option at that price :)

Try the Line 6 M13, I got one today, it's pretty amazing and very simple to use.

You get a whole load of very good effects that are all user changeable, and a 28 second looper.

I've only had it about 2 hours, but I'm finding it very easy to use, you can have chords played with a nice mutron sound on them, add a nice unaffected bass line, and then solo over the top with a touch of reverb.

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='314688' date='Oct 25 2008, 06:40 PM']This all gives me some good food for thought, I am going to the SW Guitar show tomorrow, so will see if there is anything there I can play with, but please do keep the ideas coming!![/quote]

I couldn't find anything to play with...... Some nice basses, but no processors that I could find... aw!

[quote name='Musky' post='314028' date='Oct 24 2008, 04:40 PM']The Zoom B2.1u gets a lot of love around here, though if that's too pricey and you don't need the expression pedal or USB the B2 covers the same ground. No looping though, unfortunately.[/quote]

+1 worth spending time reading the manual to get the best.,

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='314687' date='Oct 25 2008, 06:37 PM']Try the Line 6 M13, I got one today, it's pretty amazing and very simple to use.

You get a whole load of very good effects that are all user changeable, and a 28 second looper.

I've only had it about 2 hours, but I'm finding it very easy to use, you can have chords played with a nice mutron sound on them, add a nice unaffected bass line, and then solo over the top with a touch of reverb.[/quote]

Quick question about the m13.
Can you only have one effect from each bank on at a time?

Not the easiest board to master but the Boss GT6B is phenomenal. Once you get your head around it, there are some great sounds to be had. It can be bought realtively cheaply second hand. I bought mine on this very forum.

The usual Boss setup with banks of sounds but as an added plus you also have dedicated pedals that you can assign and add an extra effect to your preset sound such as a flanger or the usual other stuff.

While I would love to be able to spend loads of money, I'm saving for my new Wal (or possibly GB Rumour now since playing EBS_Freak's at the weekend....!).

This was initially triggered by the need to get a reasonable replacement Chorus pedal (EBS I hear you all shout!!), so money must stay in pocket, as I am generally not that into effects.

I have however been offered a Zoom 708II for £40. It does appear to support looping as well as a bunch of other stuff, and while it isn't a £100+ pedal, it may just sow some seeds!!

Any thoughts anyone?

Zoom B2 - both for sure. Or B2.1U if you want to throw around money for the expression pedal and USB hub - both of which are getting mixed reviews (Mainly the driver support for the USB hub). I myself own a B2 for a year. It has a very handy stereo output for the times, when you can't play through ye olde big amp. The effect modeling is acceptable , but tricky at the start. Other than that perfect for the money :)

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='317594' date='Oct 29 2008, 02:29 PM']While I would love to be able to spend loads of money, I'm saving for my new Wal (or possibly GB Rumour now since playing EBS_Freak's at the weekend....!).

This was initially triggered by the need to get a reasonable replacement Chorus pedal (EBS I hear you all shout!!), so money must stay in pocket, as I am generally not that into effects.

I have however been offered a Zoom 708II for £40. It does appear to support looping as well as a bunch of other stuff, and while it isn't a £100+ pedal, it may just sow some seeds!!

Any thoughts anyone?[/quote]

I'd take that deal and get used to using effects. Then you'll have a better idea of what you want to upgrade to, and you might be able to sell the zoom for £40, but if not, it's only £40.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='320722' date='Nov 3 2008, 10:11 AM']I'd take that deal and get used to using effects. Then you'll have a better idea of what you want to upgrade to, and you might be able to sell the zoom for £40, but if not, it's only £40.[/quote]

So thats what I did!!

As you said, its only £40, and I should get it back whether I move up market or ditch the idea altogether!!

I used it at the weekend, worked out fairly quickly how to re-program the patches, though had issues with balancing the volume between bypass and effect volume level!!

Whether I ever get to program and use all available patches, I have already proved that it'll be useful for no other reason than it'll replace my current tuner as it has a sodding great red LCD display which I can actually read while on stage!!

Thanks for all your help guys!!

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='323406' date='Nov 6 2008, 01:36 PM']I would really recommend Zoom pedals.
I have a 607II and a 708II - (purchased from Wooks on here) - and have found both to be excellent, the latter particularly.[/quote]

I have to say, so far I'm really enjoying my 708II! Once you get used to it its simple to use and really easy to make/rename patches. I've even worked out how to pre-select patches when using live....