Why become a member? ×

Finished! A Bridge Too Far?

Andyjr1515

[quote name='Saved' timestamp='1498537561' post='3325285']
Very nice job.
One question.How will you set up the intonation with non-saddle bridge?
[/quote]
Like most acoustics, it's fixed. This is why I had to string it up and do the various checks with the temporary bridge described earlier.

There is a tiny, tiny chance of fine tuning by filing an angle either at the front or back of the 3mm thick saddle so that the string sits towards the front or the back of the saddle. In effective terms this gives a couple of mm adjustment, but only if you are not on the frontmost or rearmost position to start with.

It's why I was so pleased and relieved that it actually intonated.... ;)

Edited by Andyjr1515

Been watching this from the start (silently) and, to be honest, with a large element of "what the...", but similarly expecting something quite amazing to reveal itself. Well it certainly has done. That picture with it strung up and with the acoustic bridge in place - that is one very special instrument. Amazing work. And well done Mick for the brave and bold vision.

Edited by Mykesbass

Thanks, folks - your positive feedback is always hugely appreciated.

It hasn't been the easiest of builds, not least for the fact that probably Mick was the only one of all of us who truly knew how this needed to turn out. I have to say that with the curves and lines I'm totally sold on it. In the flesh, it's turning out to be a really beautiful design - not just striking but truly beautiful.

Yup - well done, Mick ;)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1498596899' post='3325820']
Good to hear from you, Stuart. And no....I'm NOT going to build you one ;)

:)
[/quote]Really? I was hoping for a short scale acoustic five string with thunderguts on it..... :lol: :lol:

Edited by W1_Pro

[quote name='W1_Pro' timestamp='1498612793' post='3325904']
Really? I was hoping for a short scale acoustic five string with thunderguts on it..... :lol: :lol:
[/quote]
Oh, acoustic! Well, you should have said that in the first place!

OK, I'm sweeping up the workshop now ready to bring the logs in. I'm assuming, of course, that we are talking all carved from a solid billet?

If you'd like to pay the advance into my Bank of Nigeria account we can get the ball rolling :)

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1498685330' post='3326406']
What, no updates, no pictures???

You do realise I won't be able to sleep tonight...

[i]Is it done yet??[/i]
[/quote]
NO! :)

I was defeated by the rain today - I need proper light for the final sand so the cellar is no good. There should be a decent amount of progress tomorrow, though.

And NO - it's not going to be finished tomorrow! ;)

Like others, been following this thread quietly and like other others, don't usually like [s]anything other than fender shapes[/s] single cuts, but this is absolutely stunning. Loving the tradecraft, the decision making, the quality of the work...the whole thing is fascinating and what a beautiful instrument it's turning out to be! Well done Andy, you're a very talented bloke :)

[quote name='roceci' timestamp='1498731989' post='3326606']
Like others, been following this thread quietly and like other others, don't usually like [s]anything other than fender shapes[/s] single cuts, but this is absolutely stunning. Loving the tradecraft, the decision making, the quality of the work...the whole thing is fascinating and what a beautiful instrument it's turning out to be! Well done Andy, you're a very talented bloke :)
[/quote]
Thanks, roceci :)

...and Mick's got a decent eye for a design...

Continued rain means the final sanding probably will be done tomorrow. Nevertheless, there is plenty, plenty, plenty still to be done!

The control chamber cover will not only need to be sanded flush, but also with a slight concavity to match the body. Before doing this, therefore, I need to know exactly where it's going to sit. And to do this, I need to:[list]
[*]Double check the depth of the deepest components (battery + clip and the stereo jack)
[*]Deepen where necessary
[*]Line the chamber and cover with copper tape shielding
[*]Install the magnetic catches
[/list]

This is where I am so far:

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1498735391' post='3326659']
I really hate it when it says there's a new post on this thread but it's just a load of compliments for Andy and no new photos for me to salivate over
[/quote]
Is that better? ;)

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1498736094' post='3326671']
*sniff* it'll suffice ;)

questione - because it's been many pages and I have forgotten. Will there be a finish on the instrument? Oil, poly, cold pressed olive oil, twice baked salami etc.?
[/quote]
Yes - twice baked salami. Your memory is better than you thought :lol:

Although any finish will darken the wood, the intention is to keep it as light as possible. So, to enhance the feel, I'm opting for the tru-oil "slurry and buff" all over - it leaves the wood protected but SILKY smooth and yet very organic. It should also be pretty much the minimum of darkening of all of the finish options.

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1498738234' post='3326704']
Yes - twice baked salami. Your memory is better than you thought :lol:

Although any finish will darken the wood, the intention is to keep it as light as possible. So, to enhance the feel, I'm opting for the tru-oil "slurry and buff" all over - it leaves the wood protected but SILKY smooth and yet very organic. It should also be pretty much the minimum of darkening of all of the finish options.
[/quote]
And then add the pink leopard skin, of course... ;)