The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

7 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Oh dam, sorry Maude 🤦‍♂️ I didn’t know you were looking at it, I just thought it would help out a BCer if they were looking , I’ll hush my mouth 🤐

Nah it's fine, I'm just toying with the idea of the 424. I want a 1024 really, in white with the plates.

But that 424x does look awesome, and I'm tempted. 

• Like 1

There's also a sunburst 424x on ebay at the mo, no bids with two days to go, £275.

There's no point in me considering that as I'd still always be looking for a white one. 

Or ignore them both and get the blue SBV on gumtree. 😲

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

haha. Sat drinking a 0% IPA after a mammoth restring session (dining table doubles as workbench 🤣)

0% IPA shouldn't impact creativity in any way though, so let's put that one down to your natural talent 😁

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

0% IPA shouldn't impact creativity in any way though, so let's put that one down to your natural talent 😁

One thing I have in abundance is a willingness to be creative…the talent bit is elusive - I’ll find it one day (and probably keel over in shock) 🥴😂

I'm so weak! 

I've just offered £300 for the white 424X.

My son started a new job and borrowed £300 off me until his first payday, which I'd forgotten about until he just said, "I'll have your money next week", so really it'll be free if he accepts. 🤔 😁

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Maude said:

I'm so weak! 

I've just offered £300 for the white 424X.

My son started a new job and borrowed £300 off me until his first payday, which I'd forgotten about until he just said, "I'll have your money next week", so really it'll be free if he accepts. 🤔 😁

Just played mine for 20 minutes, lovely new string clang!

He countered £320, so I went back with £310.

He's just come back with £315.

Is it worth messing about over that amount?

I'd have liked to have found one cheaper as a few have sold for the low two hundreds, but this one is a white X and looks in good condition. 

He's put this, 

Message from intro2pete:

Thanks for your offers but this is the lowest, eBay hits too hard with fees unfortunately! Cheers

Edited by Maude

13 minutes ago, Maude said:

He countered £320, so I went back with £310.

He's just come back with £315.

Is it worth messing about over that amount?

I'd have liked to have found one cheaper as a few have sold for the low two hundreds, but this one is a white X and looks in good condition. 

He's put this, 

Message from intro2pete:

Thanks for your offers but this is the lowest, eBay hits too hard with fees unfortunately! Cheers

I’d go for it - if you hate it (which I doubt you will) and sell for £300, it’s cost you £15 to find out you need something else.

if you love it - (which I think you will) it’s a great bass for not much coin.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Maude said:

Or ignore them both and get the blue SBV on gumtree. 😲

I see you've bought that BB which is a great call. The SBV used to belong to me and its a super cool bass, also already neatly routed for a battery compartment and plenty space for a preamp. If I hadn't just bought a Sire and a new watch I'd probably buy it back 😂

3 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

I see you've bought that BB which is a great call. The SBV used to belong to me and its a super cool bass, also already neatly routed for a battery compartment and plenty space for a preamp. If I hadn't just bought a Sire and a new watch I'd probably buy it back 😂

I think I'd like to try an SBV first before I committed to see what the neck dive is like. I don't overly worry about such things normally, but with a very short top horn and a very long neck/headstock it might be more of a quirky bass to own, rather than the true gigging machine that the BB is. 

Super cool looking though. 

Just now, Maude said:

I think I'd like to try an SBV first before I committed to see what the neck dive is like. I don't overly worry about such things normally, but with a very short top horn and a very long neck/headstock it might be more of a quirky bass to own, rather than the true gigging machine that the BB is. 

Super cool looking though. 

I had one on short term loan.

much like Thunderbirds, it looked stupid on me - absolutely loved how it sounded and played.

1 hour ago, Maude said:

Aaaaaaaaand... 

... I'm back in the club. 😁

Congrats!

White is the best colour. Orange is simply the new black. 

Wall of shame updated on the OP - if you want to let me know what your prev BBs were I can update for that too.

General caveat wording now put against Andy T's entries 😁

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Congrats!

White is the best colour. Orange is simply the new black. 

Wall of shame updated on the OP - if you want to let me know what your prev BBs were I can update for that too.

General caveat wording now put against Andy T's entries 😁

Cheers 🙂👍

Only had one other BB, a G5S.

My first 'real' bass was a Seafoam green Attitude Special, had that for a couple of years, then traded that in for the brand new BBG5S which I gigged solidly for about ten years as my only bass. Then had a break and when I got back into it I bought an RBX374 and for some reason went back to solely playing four strings. I only sold the BBG5S last year as I just couldn't part with it, but in reality I'd never play it again. 

I think this is why every time I play a Yammy it's like coming home. 

My only other Yam at the mo is my tobacco burst BEX4. 

UBlF99G.jpg

• Like 2

Upset @Al Krowthat you’ve missed the following 

415 orange

425x sunburst

424x sunburst 

1300 blue

1100s burst (mk1)

1100s white (mk2)

from my “had” list

and

424x white

424x red

450 sunburst 

in the current stable.

keep up Doris.

• Haha 1

The BEX is just something really special IMO. 

The soapbar sounds superb in a band mix and is just so easy to make it sound good. 

They look lovely too. 

Stupidly cheap for such a good bass. 

• Like 1

Just now, Maude said:

The BEX is just something really special IMO. 

The soapbar sounds superb in a band mix and is just so easy to make it sound good. 

They look lovely too. 

Stupidly cheap for such a good bass. 

Yeah - always come up at the wrong time, like…a bb has just arrived and stolen some money…

Just now, AndyTravis said:

Upset @Al Krowthat you’ve missed the following 

415 orange

425x sunburst

424x sunburst 

1300 blue

1100s burst (mk1)

1100s white (mk2)

from my “had” list

and

424x white

424x red

450 sunburst 

in the current stable.

keep up Doris.

Hehe - it's not physically poss to keep up witj your immense BB flow! 

I think my caveat wording has it generally covered (no?) and we can do an annual update on 1 Jan each year going forward, just for you. 😁