Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

They’re countersunk on the top Face - I know because I have a gold set I was going to use but can’t…

Ah yes, I can see now I've zoomed in on a picture. I thought the pickup surround was mounted on top of the scratchplate, now I can see the scratchplate is cut to fit outside of the surround. 

So the body is actually routed for the surround to sit into it slightly then. That's still no biggy though. My main issue is what the base of the surround looks like as it'll need fitting upside down if the pickup is reversed. 

All will become apparent when mine arrives. 

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I know the P pickup is a little closer to the neck than the trad P-spot. Will you simply swap the E/A and D/G positions? or leave the D/G in its place and move the E/A to the other side of it?

In all honesty, I don't know, or if I'll even do it. I'll see when I've had a play. 

I've always fancied a reverse P and this would make a great trial bass, was my thinking. 

Looking at pictures I think I'd just swap the E/A and D/G around. 

If the E/A was simply placed below the D/G, it would look nasty as it would be half in half out of the scratchplate. 

If the other way then the whole pickup would be too close to the neck I think. 

Looking at the space available, I don't think there's room for a double P in the scratchplate, not without looking cluttered anyway. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

P pick up only ! 😄 (Sorry, couldn't resist) 🙂 

My question could be silly, but I set up my bass like Peter (using that heavy .060 G string) and I put the neck dead straight by tightening the truss rod. I also reverted all the saddles on the "edge" side and went with thru-bridge stringing. I experience a little fret buzz, so I'd like to have the opinon of the others...

Edited by matbard

I know... it was just a joke. I think, playing an artist model is one thing, doing it all exactly ike that star guy... makes only sense if you (try to) play like he does and if you are in playing exactly his kind of music. 
Because everyone has his way of playing and the world's best bass players set ups won't fit my playing. 

Edited by gobasserk

For example ... I adore Mark King ( who does not) and love the look of his Status signature basses. I was more than one time about to order one. But I did own several (other) Status basses and it's sound just did not fit my needs. 
I did rarely play other basses with more comfortable necks but the basses just don't rock in my very own opinion. The natural tone of a graphite bass is just not rock n roll. Of course you can throw some synh / distortion effects on it and make it work somehow... but a beautiful wooden growl... 4000 Pounds but it does not do that growl 🙂 

Edited by gobasserk

17 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

For example ... I adore Mark King ( who does not) and love the look of his Status signature basses. I was more than one time about to order one. But I did own several (other) Status basses and it's sound just did not fit my needs. 
I did rarely play other basses with more comfortable necks but the basses just don't rock in my very own opinion. The natural tone of a graphite bass is just not rock n roll. Of course you can throw some synh / distortion effects on it and make it work somehow... but a beautiful wooden growl... 4000 Pounds but it does not do that growl 🙂 

Guy I know has a Mark King dog Status. Outstanding instrument, 100% not my thing in the slightest

• Like 1

Well... Actually I'm playing New Orders songs, so I took the bass to have that signature sound. I also have a very faithful Clone Theory replica made by a firm here in Italy and based on an old Reticon SAD 1024 IC. I have rather small hands (like PH), so I feel really comfortable with the bass set like him.

IMG_8518.thumb.jpeg.69176faaa347a9eec66d6c225e3cbb17.jpeg

On 01/08/2021 at 16:46, Al Krow said:

@gobasserk sounds great! I do really enjoy your noodlings!

If you fancy recording that clip without the Tech 21 YYZ pedal for comparison - it would be good hear how much of the sound is the Yammy and how much the pedal?

So here a quick and dirty recording of the same lick with the BB1000MA in P mode without the YYZ

BB1000MA P mode with YYZ pedal

BB1000MA plain without effect pedal

Edited by gobasserk
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

So here a quick and dirty recording of the same lick with the BB1000MA in P mode without the YYZ

BB1000MA P mode with YYZ pedal

BB1000MA plain without effect pedal

Really fancy a green bb1000ma…

Theres one on reverb at a great price, but by the time it gets to me it will accrue about £200 in import costs 🤦🏻‍♂️

Before Brexit, you could do local deals and ship to friends in or from England. Now customs and VAT makes those deals impossible. 
Still waiting for my gold replacement bridge for exactly the BB of the recording. In customs for more than a week now somewhere at an airport...

So…the couch is too small for the BB gang.

The white 350f was purchased in a “cheeky bid, I’ll never win it…” regret it later moment 2 weeks ago.

It’s really nice: but I’ve prepared it for @lee650by changing the strings, knobs and bridge…gutted as it’s actually bloody lovely - I have a fretless I already don’t play and I know Lee wants one. 

The 450, it’s a stunner - but the 424’s are winning. So it’s been offered in trade.

I must now endeavour to complete the 350 I’ve stripped.

And the 414 needs a fret dress - the 9th is high and I’ve not got the tools anymore.

Anyhow, a photo opportunity with outgoing team members was necessary.

ED975776-1651-469D-B66F-1027DD1DD0B3.jpeg

4E5DCA89-4F6E-4751-8ED3-780FBA8EC3FE.jpeg

6A084B6A-C872-4AEC-BB84-57AA0E454975.jpeg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

Just spotted a 2010 black 424 at BD priced at £211 including postage. 9/10 condition according to the advert. I don`t need it but they look cool as in the black so what the heck 9_9

That went very quick! Looks tidy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

Just spotted a 2010 black 424 at BD priced at £211 including postage. 9/10 condition according to the advert. I don`t need it but they look cool as in the black so what the heck 9_9

Congrats - that's a good price! I mean an excellent work horse bass that you can happily gig that will stand its ground with basses costing several times as much with a PJ format and some kick-as* pups! What's not to like?!

PS welcome back to the Yammy club :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

Just had a message that mine is being delivered today, I wasn't expecting it until Friday. 

Excellent news, apart from I'm at work twenty miles away and nobody else is home. 

Fingers crossed they leave it somewhere as my property is safe/quiet enough, rather than take it back to a depot to be thrown around. 

🤞

Edited by Maude
Adding vital words
  • Like 1