Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Ordered a copy of the p-pick up ring from a metalworker. It is on it's way. To keep it low cost it was made from aluminum. Not sure if that will work for me. But if it does, there will more be following and even some in brass for gold hardware. It is so much fun playing around with that stuff. And for my new old 300 I took the ring from one of my 1000MA's. But that bass wants it back ! 😄  

Somewhere on TB there was a post saying the trick with the TRBX's 3-band EQ is to raise the mids and lower both treble and bass (or vice versa) 

So I put the battery back in and tried it and, what do you know, a noise I like coming out of that preamp. Treble and bass both -40, the mid +60. (Didn't think much of it vice versa, but then I wouldn't.)

Anyway, idle curiosity has me wondering, is the same true with the BB734a's 3-band EQ?

47 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Somewhere on TB there was a post saying the trick with the TRBX's 3-band EQ is to raise the mids and lower both treble and bass (or vice versa) 

So I put the battery back in and tried it and, what do you know, a noise I like coming out of that preamp. Treble and bass both -40, the mid +60. (Didn't think much of it vice versa, but then I wouldn't.)

Anyway, idle curiosity has me wondering, is the same true with the BB734a's 3-band EQ?

I haven't heard this but I'll definitely have to try it! I usually run my trbx in passive unless I specifically need to change the EQ for a song

• Like 1

On 26/01/2021 at 17:49, pete.young said:

It doesn't have jazz pickups though. It has stacked humbuckers in jazz-shaped cases.

As you pointed out, the NE2 has two Alnico V hum-cancelling pickups which look to be the same as on the TRB 1005J, so I guess the TRB1005J with its 3 band EQ is in some ways the modern day "electronic" successor to the BB2005 and a more budget version of the NE2? Obviously they are quite a way apart on body design features.

They're great pups btw! A very full bodied red wine if I was using a drink analogy!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Interesting - my first reaction is that's going to be quite a mid heavy, bass light vintage tone and would not thought to have tried it. But if it works, it works!

Look forward to hearing how @MDWagstaff finds this works out on his 734A.

Edited by Al Krow

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Interesting - my first reaction is that's going to be quite a mid heavy, bass light vintage tone and would not thought to have try it. But if it works, it works!

Look forward to hearing how @MDWagstaff finds this works out on his 734A.

I'll be trying this on the TRBX605 Al, sadly I don't have a 734a (yet...) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

As you pointed out, the NE2 has two Alnico V hum-cancelling pickups which look to be the same as on the TRB 1005J, so I guess the TRB1005J with its 3 band EQ is in some ways the modern day "electronic" successor to the BB2005 and a more budget version of the NE2? Obviously they are quite a way apart on body design features.

They're great pups btw! A very full bodied red wine if I was using a drink analogy!

I didn't know they were similar. I thought that in the NE2 were humbuckers and in the TRB1005J were single with the hum-cancelling. Both basses are pretty amazing anyway.

3 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

I didn't know they were similar. I thought that in the NE2 were humbuckers and in the TRB1005J were single with the hum-cancelling. Both basses are pretty amazing anyway.

I'm not 100% certain they are exactly the same but Yamaha seem to use the same description for the pups for both basses i.e. "Alnico V hum-cancelling pickups"

If you look at the size / shape of the NE2 pups they appear to be "single" hum cancelling rather than the more traditional dual coil "MM" style humbuckers.

image.png.e6aa9083591d0aeba069c06e119ddf28.png

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Interesting - my first reaction is that's going to be quite a mid heavy, bass light vintage tone and would not thought to have tried it. But if it works, it works!

I've got Chromes on it, so theres no shortage of bass....

I started flat, added mids until there was a satisfying warmth, took off treble until the frizzy clatter was gone, and then turned down the bass slowly until the muddiness had gone, leaving a focused and - to my ears - fairly modern sound. The burr of the flats wasnt entirely removed, but the sound is quite sleek.

Sounds best with both pickups on - I suppose because that's putting in a harmonically rich sound which is then being constricted. 

Since I like a bass to sound bassy, it would never have occurred to me to take this approach. I haven't read many compliments about the BB73x's active preamp, so I'm wondering if this combination would be just as satisfying on one of them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I'm not 100% certain they are exactly the same but Yamaha seem to use the same description for the pups for both basses i.e. "Alnico V hum-cancelling pickups"

If you look at the size / shape of the NE2 pups they appear to be "single" hum cancelling rather than the more traditional dual coil "MM" style humbuckers.

image.png.e6aa9083591d0aeba069c06e119ddf28.png

Yamaha Custom Stack Type / Alnico V - BBNE2

Humcanceled Single Coil / Alnico V - TRB1005
  • Thanks 1

That makes sense. The shape of the NE2 pup is taller (hence stacked) vs a a broader flatter 1005J pup. 

But glad they are managing to justify the £3k price premium somehow then - lol! You seen the RRP of the NE2 lately? It's ridiculous!