Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! Pete's Piccolo Bass

Andyjr1515

[quote name='stearstree1304' timestamp='1488999253' post='3253640']
Whichever combination you go for, the best bit is that you'll have to build another bass using the leftovers!!! :D
[/quote]
:lol: ...or, as MrsAndyjr1515 put it, "So what are you going to do with the left over bits, then??? :angry: Oh....nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!"

Here's how it's looking with mixing everywhere. I'm actually quite liking this even though it is significantly outlandish!!

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1489029158' post='3253854']
The gold and black gives the bass a boutique quality and the body shape with that hollow chamber is killer.
Have you tried the look of a brass nut instead of black?
[/quote]

Yes - that's on the list. I've been looking for a blank that is the right dimensions but needed to get the strings on at this stage to do the 'first fit' checks so used a length of blank I had in the bits box.

On a more general note in terms of playability, the initial conclusions are that:
- the volute is a bit too big and a bit too far forward, particularly where the bass strings rake back
- the relatively light string tension means that the truss-rod is basically loose.
- the bridge saddles are set quite high for a normal (electric 6 string) action. They are within adjustment limits, but I will consider adding a shim under the bridge cluster
- some further fret-levelling is needed to sort a few buzzes. I generally do a light levelling first time round to get a feel of the set up before removing too much metal! :)
- I will check the clearance so I don't break through into the truss rod, but I might slim the neck just a touch, but I'll play it a bit more with the other stuff sorted before I do that

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1489070935' post='3254155']
Definitely loving that combo, and a brass nut to finish off..........hmm maybe the frets should have gold coloured ....*hides*
[/quote]
You can come out of your hiding place...they are EVO Golds :)

Quick shot of the 'first fitting' with some strings on.

Visually, the main changes to come will be the brass nut, the knobs, etc, and the bridge ferrules that fit inside the holders (photographed were some old large telecaster ones I happened to have - they are needed because guitar string ball-ends are too small for the bass bridge retainers)

I reckon this will be ready to pass across to Pete by the end of next week...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1489331082' post='3256073']
Love the shots of the rear....the gold hardware certainly complements the colour of the timber. Pete must be feeling tortured watching this thread.. :lol: :lol:
[/quote]
He doesn't follow the threads, so I can say whatever I like about him :lol: