Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! Pete's Piccolo Bass

Andyjr1515

[quote name='stearstree1304' timestamp='1489396940' post='3256497']
Absolutely top notch build. Lovely looking instrument. Its new owner will be chuffed to bits to receive that!!
[/quote]

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1489502898' post='3257476']
Looks great!

I'm not sure if this question has already been asked, but... What is Pete planning to do with a Piccolo bass?
[/quote]
Thanks, Bryan :)

Primarily, Pete wants it to be able to 'noodle on the sofa' and practice, work out new riffs, etc, without risking concussing family or friends with a flailing 34" neck and headstock ;)

Having now heard what it sounds like, I think it actually has gigging potential. He will get his sticky mitts on it for the first time this evening so I'll see what he thinks. At the moment I haven't fitted the straplocks because, unless he wants to gig it, there is no point in adding an extra lump of bling on the end of the top horn.

I have to say, it is a delight to handle. If ever there was a bass that would encourage you to play more, it must be this one!

By the way, [url="https://soundcloud.com/andy-rogers-6/piccolo-bass-sound-comparisons"]there are some sound clips here, matched against my gigging 6-string electric on neck pickup[/url]. The six string has SD P-rails fitted and is in humbucker mode on this recording. It's a subtle difference but in real life a significant one...

Edited by Andyjr1515

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1490372112' post='3264730']
Pete's slacking...where his review??
[/quote]
His review is the big stupid grin he's had on his face since he got it :D

To be honest, it doesn't improve his looks......

Actually - I've got a clip from our practice on Tuesday when he decided he was going to play the piccolo for the lead guitar part of one of our numbers (!). I'll post it when I can get the flaming thing off the iphone!!!!

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1490377599' post='3264774']
His review is the big stupid grin he's had on his face since he got it :D

To be honest, it doesn't improve his looks......

Actually - I've got a clip from our practice on Tuesday when he decided he was going to play the piccolo for the lead guitar part of one of our numbers (!). I'll post it when I can get the flaming thing off the iphone!!!!
[/quote]

Technology causing a problem?? Nooo!! (actually I've been trying to download photos for the last week)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1490378567' post='3264788']
Technology causing a problem?? Nooo!! (actually I've been trying to download photos for the last week)
[/quote]
Yes - quite!

Anyway, here it is - when Pete got hold of the piccolo neither of us were quite sure what it would be best used for other than the primary aim of sofa noodling. We still aren't sure but first practice Pete tried a lead break with it and continued using it as a rhythm guitar during the final vocal verse - [url="https://soundcloud.com/andy-rogers-6/time-to-let-go-piccolo-bass-playing-lead"]here are the last few minutes of the tryout[/url]. It's definitely not a bass and it's definitely not an electric 6-string. So mission accomplished, then B)