Why become a member? ×

The London Concert 1972

blue

Blue, you've once again shattered my illusions.

I've always thought that the music scene in Milwaukee was something like this
http://youtu.be/CpQhtsa0JrI

Or maybe a bit like this

http://youtu.be/kUNtgbEGQgw

And if all else fails..

http://youtu.be/drOeLwEZeM4

Edited by Cato

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1485213203' post='3222270']

I thank you very kindly for posting the thread/concert. I hadn't seen it and it is quite fascinating.

Interesting to see Jerry Lee and Little Richard bickering. For all Jerry Lee's bluster, he still had to go on before him and Richard blew him away completely on the evidence of the content of the film.

Take it from us blue, you are soon wrong about Led Zeppelin being Old People's Music. It might not be the case in the USA, but they are held in very high regard across the generations here in the UK.
[/quote]

Yeah,I liked the Jerry Lee set bit Little Richard was amazing.

I can only speak for the Milwaukee WI area.And I speak with confidence, young kids here are not listening to or interested in Led Zeppelin.

Blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1485216352' post='3222287']

Yes, there may be some truth in that. However, the tone (can I say that word without raising blue's blood pressure?) of the comment was that Led Zeppelin are completely irrelevant to all of the yoof of today. Perhaps I went a little too far in the opposite direction eschewing that ideal, but from my experience I think Zep are far from being regarded as Old People's Music.
[/quote]

And I may have went to far sweeping a broad brush stroke over all the youth. Zeppelin may still be popular with UK kids than those in the States. I know 40 year olds that say they have never heard "Stairway To Heaven".

Blue

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1485216664' post='3222289']
Blue, you've once again shattered my illusions.

I've always thought that the music scene in Milwaukee was something like this.
[/quote]

I could take you to parts of Millwaukee that is still pretty much like Happy Days.

BTW, that's a pretty sweet Fender Jazz Leather is playing.

Blue

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1485178737' post='3221778']
Anyway. Back on topic. You may enjoy this one too Blue.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSDSand-6IY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSDSand-6IY[/url]

Gene Vincent on UK tour 1969. Touching, sometimes funy and other times quite sad documentary.

The Teddy Boy thing was quite big until the late 70s I would say. Then there was a Rockabilly revival as it was fading out.
[/quote]

Watching it right now, I'm already digging it.

Thanks

Blue

Further to the young kids old bands discussion, my son (16) has just got back from a weekend of seeing Avenged Sevenfold in London and A Day To Remember in Cardiff and announced the band he really wants to see is Black Sabbath.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1485218255' post='3222302']
Further to the young kids old bands discussion, my son (16) has just got back from a weekend of seeing Avenged Sevenfold in London and A Day To Remember in Cardiff and announced the band he really wants to see is Black Sabbath.
[/quote]

This gets back to my initial assumption, that you guys have a higher and more diverse level of appreciation for rock and roll then we have in the States.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1485214873' post='3222279']
Anecdotes about one's offspring's approval of the Zep are (genuinely) rather lovely but does it [i]ever[/i] cross our failing and enfeebled minds that our progeny might charitably be indulging us in the mistaken belief that the [i]apparently[/i] continuing eminence of our long-dead favourite band means we are still relevant? That such a kindly deception is meant to ease our eventual and inevitable passage into that land of ice and snow and the midnight sun, where the hot springs flow?
[/quote]

Iceland is the afterlife?

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1485218255' post='3222302']
[/quote]

My daughter was at the A Day To Remember / New Found Glory show in Cardiff too. Her and her band mates (all late teens / early twenties) all love Bring Me The Horizon, Avenged, etc, but also Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, even Blue Cheer. Like your boy, there're plenty of youngsters that appreciate the music and influence of the old bands 😊

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1485210068' post='3222232']

Bands like Aerosmith, Macca and The Stones are exceptions
Young kids will go to those shows because it's a huge pop scene. You won't convince me they are hard core fans.

Blue
[/quote]

There aren't any pop acts at the rest of the 3 day festival, Download is the new version of what was 'Donnington Monsters of Rock", basically it was THE rock/metal show in the UK with a worldwide audience travelling to attend.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1485121167' post='3221392']
I'm fascinated with this concert film.

[url="https://youtu.be/i_0l1zxNeKg"]https://youtu.be/i_0l1zxNeKg[/url]

I was a Senior in High School in 1972.

My take away is how serious you guys take Rock & Roll. Obviously a good thing IMO.

I am not sure why. It might be because at the time we took it for granted and it was harder for you guys to access.

It looked like such a cool show and must have been a lot of fun. It also looked like an event where you could get in trouble.

I wish I could have been there.

You can get the point of the movie from the first few minutes in the opening scene.

Comments please.

Blue
[/quote]

If you've seen the flyer/poster that was in one of the other links in this thread you'll see that the complete bill was a lot broader than that film would have you believe, and there were some contemporary bands playing as well as those that had made their names in the 50s and 60s.

Plus Britain is only a small place and getting to London even back in 1972 wasn't that difficult, so the organisers had the whole country to drawn on for their audience.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1485162548' post='3221545']

Heinz was bass player for the Tornadoes (Telstar). I believe and Joe Meek groomed him to be a teen heart throb and he had a hit with an Eddie Cochran tribute song 'Just Like Eddie'. He continued to tour the working mens clubs and I'm sure I heard he had a stint as a bus driver too.
Looking him up it appears he passed away from motor neurone disease at the age of 57.
[/quote]

We played support to the Tornadoes at Cheltenham Town Hall in 1965. Heinz was there, as was the legend that is Clem Cattini.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSDSand-6IY"]https://www.youtube....h?v=eSDSand-6IY[/url]

Gene Vincent on UK tour 1969. Touching, sometimes funy and other times quite sad documentary.

The Teddy Boy thing was quite big until the late 70s I would say. Then there was a Rockabilly revival as it was fading out.
[/quote]

The rampant professionalism and extraordinary degree of organisation from 4:58 for the next eight minutes is simply breathtaking.

What must the poor sod have made of the clowns he was working with?

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1485245242' post='3222343']
Iceland is the afterlife?
[/quote]

Not exactly. In my personal belief construct the afterlife is a variant of [i]Niflheim -[/i] i.e. rather like Iceland without the boutique hotels, the vibrant party scene and the hipster DJs

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1485261062' post='3222543']
There aren't any pop acts at the rest of the 3 day festival, Download is the new version of what was 'Donnington Monsters of Rock", basically it was THE rock/metal show in the UK with a worldwide audience travelling to attend.
[/quote]

Gosh! So [i]that's[/i] what happened to Monsters of Rock. Never knew.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1485275585' post='3222711']

Not exactly. In my personal belief construct the afterlife is a variant of [i]Niflheim -[/i] i.e. rather like Iceland without the boutique hotels, the vibrant party scene and the hipster DJs

Gosh! So [i]that's[/i] what happened to Monsters of Rock. Never knew.
[/quote]

Yes, I presume they wanted to lose the Rock name at the time and make it appeal to a younger crowd, downloading was a newish thing at the time.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1485214873' post='3222279']
To be realistic, I think the popularity of Zeppelin is probably far higher among older people than among today's bangin' yoof. And even back in the day they were something of a cult band to be eschewed by mainstream record buyers intent on dampening their gussets to Mr David Cassidy or Miss Suzi Quatro

While the band may form a small if respected component of some young peoples' musical diet I doubt it is quite as central to their continued existence as it is to those whose salad days are but a dim memory. While many of us wee-smelling wrinklies would like to think that the Mighty Zeppelin are still an omnipresent musical force I suspect that the erstwhile practitioners of 'light and shade' may enjoy a passing vogue only among a small minority of youths who for reasons best known to themselves embrace a historiographic musical perspective.

Anecdotes about one's offspring's approval of the Zep are (genuinely) rather lovely but does it [i]ever[/i] cross our failing and enfeebled minds that our progeny might charitably be indulging us in the mistaken belief that the [i]apparently[/i] continuing eminence of our long-dead favourite band means we are still relevant? That such a kindly deception is meant to ease our eventual and inevitable passage into that land of ice and snow and the midnight sun, where the hot springs flow?
[/quote]

Maybe, maybe not. I certainly would not defend the notion of universal admiration/popularity. However my kids definitely don't indulge my preferences; the abuse I get if I put a Yes CD on when they are visiting is quite unsettling :o

For my birthday I know they went through my CDs as they thought they had spotted a Zep CD I didn't own - they were right. They them admitted to accidentally having it in their laptops pre-wrapping.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1485299052' post='3223008']
Maybe, maybe not. I certainly would not defend the notion of universal admiration/popularity. However my kids definitely don't indulge my preferences; the abuse I get if I put a Yes CD on when they are visiting is quite unsettling :o

For my birthday I know they went through my CDs as they thought they had spotted a Zep CD I didn't own - they were right. They them admitted to accidentally having it in their laptops pre-wrapping.
[/quote]

That's really sweet of them :)

[quote name='Johnm93' timestamp='1485293156' post='3222917']
Thanks for the link, Blue.
Just wasted / invested half the evening watching...!
If only we had gigs like that now....
[/quote]

Thanks for checking it out. Hope you got at least one "take away" from it.

Blue

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSDSand-6IY"]https://www.youtube....h?v=eSDSand-6IY[/url]

[/quote]

This short film was right up my alley. Yes, it's always sad to see and artist in decline but it's a real honest portrayal of what happens to many rock artists that had a taste of being at the top.

Love the scene where Gene says;

* "If I don't get paid there's going to be trouble"

Blue

*There is a segment where Gene was supposed to be paid a certain amount of quid which somehow ended up being paid a certain amount of pounds, I know it was less than he was expecting.

Educate me, pounds, quids?

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1485312420' post='3223062']
This short film was right up my alley. Yes, it's always sad to see and artist in decline but it's a real honest portrayal of what happens to many rock artists that had a taste of being at the top.

Love the scene where Gene says;

* "If I don't get paid there's going to be trouble"

Blue

*There is a segment where Gene was supposed to be paid a certain amount of quid which somehow ended up being paid a certain amount of pounds, I know it was less than he was expecting.

Educate me, pounds, quids?
[/quote]

£1 = a pound. A quid. A knicker.

All terms for the same thing.