Why become a member? ×

The London Concert 1972

blue

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1485272229' post='3222662']

The rampant professionalism and extraordinary degree of organisation from 4:58 for the next eight minutes is simply breathtaking.

What must the poor sod have made of the clowns he was working with?
[/quote]

It's really interesting to watch.

I've seen bands that could sell Madison Square Garden out 3 nights in a row.

A decade later they're playing small 100 seat bars and clubs.

Blue

Although we use 'quid' to mean pound now, in older times it was used to mean a Guinea, which was worth one pound, one shilling.

I haven't heard the clip of Gene Vincent, but if he was expecting to be paid say 50 guineas but instead was paid 50 pounds, he'd be underpaid by 50 shillings. 1969 was before our currency went decimal, there were 20 shillings to a pound, so he was out by roughly 4.5%

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1485342065' post='3223219']
A knicker?

Blue
[/quote]
Dictionary says 'nicker' without the 'K'. Knickers are not normally regarded as currency but maybe things are different in Brentford? :-)

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1485344238' post='3223242']
Although we use 'quid' to mean pound now, in older times it was used to mean a Guinea, which was worth one pound, one shilling.

I haven't heard the clip of Gene Vincent, but if he was expecting to be paid say 50 guineas but instead was paid 50 pounds, he'd be underpaid by 50 shillings. 1969 was before our currency went decimal, there were 20 shillings to a pound, so he was out by roughly 4.5%

Dictionary says 'nicker' without the 'K'. Knickers are not normally regarded as currency but maybe things are different in Brentford? :-)
[/quote]

Things are different in Brentford. It's like the Milwaukee of Greater London ;)

You are correct with 'nicker'. The one time I use spell checker....

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1485312420' post='3223062']
Educate me, pounds, quids?
[/quote]

Mostly from London & SE England:

£1 = A quid / nicker / squid

£5 = A fiver / a ching / a Lady (Godiva)

£10 = A tenner / an Ayrton (Senna)

£20 = A score

£25 = A pony

£50 = A nifty

£100 = A ton

£500 = A monkey

£1000 = A grand / a bag (of sand)

Any form of money = Dosh, readies, bunce, moolah, lolly, scratch, brass

Banknotes = Folding, sheets, wedge

Loose change = Shrapnel

Bankers' check = A kite

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1485135507' post='3221494']
Ok, cool. Someone tell me a little about Heinz.

Blue
[/quote]

I currently play in the remains of another Joe Meek band, The Saints. And my old lead guitarist Tony Joliffe was in one of Heinz's backing bands in the sixties. Heinz Burt was originally the bass player in the Tornadoes who had a big hit with Telstar in 1962. Lots of info on him out there - he was one of Joe Meek's "special friends" according to slightly more than rumour. That whole Meek legacy is pretty weird though.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1485178737' post='3221778']
Anyway. Back on topic. You may enjoy this one too Blue.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSDSand-6IY"]https://www.youtube....h?v=eSDSand-6IY[/url]

Gene Vincent on UK tour 1969. Touching, sometimes funy and other times quite sad documentary.

The Teddy Boy thing was quite big until the late 70s I would say. Then there was a Rockabilly revival as it was fading out.
[/quote]
I was in the act that opened for him when he played Cambridge on that tour. One of my earliest heroes and although it was sad to see him so obviously in serious pain (and undoubtedly well pilled-up because of it) he was still mesmerising on stage. Such presence! Just a shame that he was playing with a pickup UK band rather than ANY incarnation of the Bluecaps.
Oh and sorry for reiterating the stuff about Heinz - I had not gotten to Lowbee's response!

Edited by ivansc

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1485272229' post='3222662']
The rampant professionalism and extraordinary degree of organisation from 4:58 for the next eight minutes is simply breathtaking.

What must the poor sod have made of the clowns he was working with?
[/quote]
Sadly that was pretty much what happened to very many visiting acts in the UK at the time. Fobbed off with crap (but cheap) players. Same thing happened to a lot of visiting solo artists in the states when I lived there. So demeaning for someone slightly down on his luck. If you want an example of what assholes with attitude can do to destroy someones act, listen to the album French rockabilly singer recorded in Nashville.
All top players and at the time he was huge in Europe. Sounds like they were reading the paper or eating lunch while they were playing.
Even Reggie Young!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1485383538' post='3223659']
My point was, it seemed like the promoter was up to some "funny business" and wasn't going to pay Gene what he signed on for.

Blue
[/quote]

The guinea was used to confuse the simple minded and foreigners alike back in our dark days as a nation of Jimmy Savile idolisers. It was an instant five percent mark up for the Arthur Dalys of the time - there being 21 shillings in the guinea to 20 in the pound. Many thought that "guinea" was quaint english slang for the pound.

I get the impression that there was more to the alleged rip off though.

[attachment=236656:Arfur.png]

Edited by SpondonBassed

In all fairness, the confusing currency thing was hardly an English invention.

During the 18th Century, when crowns, pounds and guineas were all still widely used in England, the French "improved" their own situation thusly:
[list]
[*][url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_(coin)"]Louis d'or[/url] (gold coin) = 24 livres, along with a half-Louis coin (the [i]demi-louis d'or[/i]) and a two-Louis coin (the [i]double louis d'or[/i]) (12 and 48 livres).
[*][url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89cu_(coin)"]écu[/url] (silver coin) = 6 livres = 120 sols, along with  [sup]1[/sup]⁄[sub]2[/sub],  [sup]1[/sup]⁄[sub]4[/sub] and  [sup]1[/sup]⁄[sub]8[/sub] écu denominations (60, 30 and 15 sols)
[*]copper coins of 1 and 2 [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solidus_(coin)"]sols[/url]: 1 sol = 12 deniers
[*]6 and 3 [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denier_(coin)"]deniers[/url] (the latter also called a [i]liard[/i]) were also issued.
[/list]

Confused? If you're not, then you weren't paying attention. Incidentally, a French livre was the thing most closely related to an English pound, although exchange rates moved up and down quite freely then too.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1485375270' post='3223522']

Mostly from London & SE England:

£1 = A quid / nicker / squid

£5 = A fiver / a ching / a Lady (Godiva)

£10 = A tenner / an Ayrton (Senna)

£20 = A score

£25 = A pony

£50 = A nifty

£100 = A ton

£500 = A monkey

£1000 = A grand / a bag (of sand)

Any form of money = Dosh, readies, bunce, moolah, lolly, scratch, brass

Banknotes = Folding, sheets, wedge

Loose change = Shrapnel

Bankers' check = A kite
[/quote]

My oldest Saucepan just pointed out to me....
That when I meet up with some of my "Ol' Bermondsey Muckers and China Plates",
we all still use the term "Sovs".

@ Lowdown - BIG wink

Cool. I'd forgotten about the sovereign.

Sorry Blue for the diversion but you wanted an education. The sovereign is a gold coin valued at one pound and it was in general circulation until 1932. Now considered bullion. Still admired by Cockneys and Essex lads alike. "Sov" is the same as quid and is used by folk who live within the sound of Bow Bells or who have migrated out to Essex.

Just finished watching Eight Days a Week by the way. Nicely made. I noted that there was little sign of anyone trying to rip the Beatles off when they were in the 'States.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1485532124' post='3224722']
@ Lowdown - BIG wink

Cool. I'd forgotten about the sovereign.

Just finished watching Eight Days a Week by the way. Nicely made. I noted that there was little sign of anyone trying to rip the Beatles off when they were in the 'States.[/quote]

I agree, the reported 10 grand The Beatles received for 3 TV appearances on our Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 seems like a lot. Especially when you consider our teachers were being paid around 6 grand for an annual salary at that time, 1964.

However, we should wonder what kind of advertising dollars were generated with 70 million viewers. Did they really get their fair share of the pot?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1485299052' post='3223008']

Maybe, maybe not. I certainly would not defend the notion of universal admiration/popularity. However my kids definitely don't indulge my preferences; the abuse I get if I put a Yes CD on when they are visiting is quite unsettling :o

For my birthday I know they went through my CDs as they thought they had spotted a Zep CD I didn't own - they were right. They them admitted to accidentally having it in their laptops pre-wrapping.
[/quote]

I bet it was Presence!