Why become a member? ×

Chrome scratchplate

EBS_freak

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1483034206' post='3204338']
Looking forward to seeing the results.

Would there be any kind of...I dunno...lacquer or somesuch you could coat the 'plate with to make it less prone grime retention ?
[/quote]
The chrome is really shiny and wouldn't need a coat as it's perfectly smooth - like glass - there's nothing for the grime to get caught on. It's REALLY difficult to photograph but here's an idea.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1482958626' post='3203794']
I have a mirror-like scratchplate on a P bass - spend most of my life polishing out finger marks. If you find a mucky screen on your phone annoying you're going to be in trouble...
[/quote]
I had a piano black BBNE2. There's nothing worse than that.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1483036873' post='3204372']
The chrome is really shiny and wouldn't need a coat as it's perfectly smooth - like glass - there's nothing for the grime to get caught on. It's REALLY difficult to photograph but here's an idea.
[/quote]

Wow.

That's pretty bloody impressive !

[quote name='threedaymonk' timestamp='1483278930' post='3205838']
I really want to know more details about this: How was it cut? How much do you have to allow for the thickness of the chrome plating around the holes? Did you have to fettle it before plating? How much does all this cost?
[/quote]
I can't give all my secrets away - especially as the guy I'm doing this with has suggested that we could start something up if there is demand. I'm not sure if there is or not at the moment. What I can say, is that the spec is EXACTLY the same is Nile's - in terms of thickness and materials.

What I will say though is that the design was drawn up and computer cut to be absolutely accurate (yes the holes match up to the Fender plates exactly - so virtually no fettling after the cutting process (just a bit of smoothing pre chrome)

It's chrome - so it's pretty expensive... but if these were to be marketed, they'd cost just over a hundred quid based on some rough calculations.

Edited by EBS_freak

• 7 months later...

I never posted the complete thing...

here it is...

This has been on for a while though - and hasn't been cleaned for a while... so the mirror effect isn't as pronounced as it could be!

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1502952833' post='3354548']
It looks lovely
How much does it weigh? Would it help with neck dive?
[/quote]
I've never weighed it - but its certainly not heavy enough to make an impact on neck dive.