Why become a member? ×

Rubbish string winding

Clarky

I never chop single ball strings down, either. I just make sure they're wound from the top of the peg downwards & make sure by holding the string down with a finger near the peg during final winding. Easy.

Even easier still, my headless basses take no chopping at all. Just fit the double ball ends and the amazingly designed bridge units do the rest for me :)

Rich.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='307591' date='Oct 16 2008, 08:43 AM']I get a string cut it down put it on the bass then tune it.

Am I the only one who doesn't measure or count?[/quote]
No, I don't measure or count ... or cut it down either!

My basses generally have 2cm thick balls of red fluff (TI Flats have red endings) around the string posts!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='307695' date='Oct 16 2008, 10:26 AM']With Sperzel tuners you should only have about a quarter to half a turn on the post. Yes, it's quite scary, I keep thinking the string will come off mid-gig. But it never does - change in mindset required...

Alex[/quote]

(this is the bit where I pretend I know what Sperzel tuners are)

Oh yeah Sperzel tuners you can't go wrong, + 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was disgusted by the windings on the headstock picture on the BassDay ad. I make sure that my strings are chopped about 2" past the tuning peg, this gives me about 1.5 turns when up to concert pitch. Not only does this look so much neater, but I also feel that it improves string tension (could entirely be psychological...). I've never had a string come off of a tuning peg and I do tend to dig in quite hard while playing.

[quote name='peted' post='307714' date='Oct 16 2008, 10:51 AM']...I also feel that it improves string tension (could entirely be psychological...)[/quote]

It doesn't change static string tension but it can slightly change the feel of the string when playing by reducing the compliance of the string (due to the windings round the post compressing and/or the strings round the post stretching). I noticed a significant change in feel when going from a headless Steinberger type bass to a conventional bass, despite matching scale lengths and strings.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='307720' date='Oct 16 2008, 10:56 AM']It doesn't change static string tension but it can slightly change the feel of the string when playing by reducing the compliance of the string (due to the windings round the post compressing and/or the strings round the post stretching). I noticed a significant change in feel when going from a headless Steinberger type bass to a conventional bass, despite matching scale lengths and strings.

Alex[/quote]

Would that be the same sort of difference felt with through/back stringing and reverse headstocks?