Why become a member? ×

Rubbish string winding

Clarky

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='307725' date='Oct 16 2008, 11:01 AM']Would that be the same sort of difference felt with through/back stringing and reverse headstocks?[/quote]

Yes. Break-angle and nut/saddle friction has a huge effect too. With roller saddles through body stringing could decrease apparent string tightness because the extra length of string can contribute stretch, whilst with sharper saddles through body stringing could increase apparent string tightness because the sharper break angle decreases the involvement of the string between saddle and anchor.

Alex

[quote name='chris_b' post='307735' date='Oct 16 2008, 11:13 AM']Me too, and don't you dare put my leads away either!![/quote]
+1 for 3 winds, and yes I am a bit particular about my leads too... GOT to be curled up using the cable's natural twist. If I see anyone winding a lead round their elbow, I get very uneasy.
That Bassday pic is a great example of how not to do [i]everything[/i] on a Fender headstock :)

[quote name='Rich' post='307767' date='Oct 16 2008, 11:58 AM']+1 for 3 winds, and yes I am a bit particular about my leads too... GOT to be curled up using the cable's natural twist. If I see anyone winding a lead round their elbow, I get very uneasy.[/quote]
+1 I spend about twice as long as all other band members getting leads away tidily coz of this!

[quote name='Gazm' post='307507' date='Oct 16 2008, 12:09 AM']2 winds anything else is a waste and goes outta tune.[/quote]

Has anyone else cut the extra string, thinking smugly to themselves how much more superior they are, then found out it doesn't wind even once and won't hold tune and therefore is entirely wasted and you need to go and buy another string but you're recording and you've only just got enough time so you leg it down to the local (overpriced) music shop and buy another single (overpriced and unmatching) string and ever since have a minor anxiety attack every time you go to cut the extra length?

No?

Me neither!

Edited by ardi100

No - just common sense. I usually have 3 wraps but dont get hung up about it. If you wind the wraps down the post it increases the break angle over the nut. It is possible to have the string ping out if you wind it up the post.

Strings have to be made to fit all basses, particularly fender style with through body stringing where the g string will be much longer than say a top loader with 2 a side tuners. If you dont trim the strings you could end up with stupid turns round the G, specially with tapered posts.

The only time I got caught out was when fitting new strings to my GB for the first time, which had untapered 1/2 inch posts and I trimmed the strings same as for the 3/8 tapered posts on my Bass Collection and came up a little short. Nobody died though.

I have always thought that when you start winding a string over itself it affected tuning stability.

Edited by bass_ferret

[quote name='budget bassist' post='307483' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:33 PM']I don't like to have many more than 3 winds, maybe 4 on a string, i dunno why, it just looks neat. I hate those guitarists that don't cut their strings down, they REALLY piss me off.[/quote]
On my guitars, I don't cut the strings down, I loop them round in neat little circles. It was a tip I learnt from a professional busker - if you break a string at the bridge (most likely place), you can make a bit of slack from the top end with the spare string length and then loop the string through the ring bit that's fallen off and twist it to secure it.

[quote name='OldGit' post='308185' date='Oct 16 2008, 09:40 PM']Maybe that's a Sei headstock then ....[/quote]
Nope - he was looking at my fender h1 jazz at the time.

Occasionally I need to cut an inch or two off if the string is too long - I had to do this on a couple of the strings when fitting a set of Thomastik JF324s to a daisy rock elite, but I always wind as much around the post as I can without getting overlaps. I've noticed when buying bady strung secondhand basses that people (non basschatters?) often don't realise that you should put a bend in the sting and poke the end down into the hole in the post.

[quote name='ardi100' post='308067' date='Oct 16 2008, 06:44 PM']Has anyone else cut the extra string, thinking smugly to themselves how much more superior they are, then found out it doesn't wind even once and won't hold tune and therefore is entirely wasted and you need to go and buy another string but you're recording and you've only just got enough time so you leg it down to the local (overpriced) music shop and buy another single (overpriced and unmatching) string and ever since have a minor anxiety attack every time you go to cut the extra length?

No?

Me neither![/quote]
I did that ONCE. Talk about 'once bitten' ...I'm too paranoid to let it happen again!

When I was a poor student (and a g**tarist) I used to keep my strings long, as I'd fix broken strings with knots to extend their life (obviously not over the playing area) even adding a blob of solder to help hold it. Sometimes they were joined with different gauge strings. My strings were rusty and kinked and my headstocks were a right mess.
Nowadays I'm a cutter and like to keep the windings neat. I don't stress over the number though - my last set was just over 1 winding each (one didn't even make it all the way round) and this time I've got 2-3.