Why become a member? ×

The best bass playing you ever heard.?

bubinga5

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1481997814' post='3196901']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qGTeMBNuGM[/media]
[/quote]OMG, Refuge of the Road. Superb multi-track bass. I don't know why, but it feels like that slide down to the last note is the last thing he ever played. Of course it isn't, and I can't explain it.

[quote]...it lacks the taste and maturity of the best players...a bit too much of everything and not enough restraint...[/quote]

You know, when I hear people say things like "not enough restraint", it reminds me of "Teacher Leave The Kids Alone"... where poor British schoolchildren are beaten and cajoled by their masters into not moving their hands and not speaking - until told to speak... upon fear of having to bend over and get a damn good paddling. Outside of Britain, this "restraint" mantra does not exist. Remember that this bulletin board receives international membership. Perhaps the comment should have been paraphrased with a disclaimer?

And I don't hear where it lacks in taste... or maturity. This is a gospel service where emotional expression is part of the belief. Some cultures are very repressive, and members of such regimes should be aware that perhaps they are projecting a troubled upbringing onto normal people, that is, non-members of their sub-group. I don't understand the pre-occupation with restraint. We don't live in China, do we? This is the Western World. One must not forget that the country from which this video was taken worships self-expression.

Even though one has the freedom of artistic criticism, it doesn't mean that everyone else has to accept it. Perhaps discretion is a lost art. And for the record, I'd like the video musician to know that most people find his playing to be tasteful, mature... and totally unrestrained. :)

Edited by CrackerJackLee

[quote name='CrackerJackLee' timestamp='1482002160' post='3196941']
You know, when I hear people say things like "not enough restraint", it reminds me of "Teacher Leave The Kids Alone"... where poor British schoolchildren are beaten and cajoled by their masters into not moving their hands and not speaking - until told to speak... upon fear of having to bend over and get a damn good paddling. Outside of Britain, this "restraint" mantra does not exist. Remember that this bulletin board receives international membership. Perhaps the comment should have been paraphrased with a disclaimer?
[/quote]

I've heard plenty of musicians from all over the world use the phrase "Less is more" which I'm pretty sure is just another way of saying "not enough restraint".

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1481963794' post='3196540']
I must have listened to this clip a thousand times, and it never gets boring. Firstly because I love funky gospel and secondly there is always a nuance in his playing that I didn't hear before. His bass playing has so many dynamics, you can get and learn so much from it. What I really love just like Pino, there is not one bit of slap bass. Not against it but it shows how amazing bass playing can be without it. it's just off the wall groove playing. And that famous fill at 2.05 minutes. Just a wow peice of bass playing. It's this and Willie Weeks on Donny Hathaways Little Ghetto Boy. What's your favourite.? http://youtu.be/pATcvr3zAhg
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed that. Outstanding 'tight but loose' groove. I don't really get some of the other comments about there being no solid beat though...

Probably Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse. More of a bass guitarist than a bassist but unbelievably proficient (and a lovely guy to boot). +1 also for Tony Levin's playing on 'So' - really takes that record to another level imo.

Also anything Les Claypool because, well. He's awesome.

Don't shoot the messenger!

Nothing went on a Bowie record that he didn't want there, so George Murray's bass playing on Sound and Vision is exactly right, cos the boss said so.

I'm not a Bowie fan but this rhythm section with the aggressive playing and sound really make this a stand out track.

And I don't hear where it lacks in taste... or maturity. This is a gospel service where emotional expression is part of the belief. Some cultures are very repressive, and members of such regimes should be aware that perhaps they are projecting a troubled upbringing onto normal people, that is, non-members of their sub-group. I don't understand the pre-occupation with restraint. We don't live in China, do we? This is the Western World. One must not forget that the country from which this video was taken worships self-expression.

Even though one has the freedom of artistic criticism, it doesn't mean that everyone else has to accept it. Perhaps discretion is a lost art. And for the record, I'd like the video musician to know that most people find his playing to be tasteful, mature... and totally unrestrained. :)
[/quote] +1 some folks just have no soul :)

[b]And I don't hear where it lacks in taste... or maturity. This is a gospel service where emotional expression is part of the belief. Some cultures are very repressive, and members of such regimes should be aware that perhaps they are projecting a troubled upbringing onto normal people, that is, non-members of their sub-group. I don't understand the pre-occupation with restraint. We don't live in China, do we? This is the Western World. One must not forget that the country from which this video was taken worships self-expression.[/b]

[/quote]

Thats all fine, but where is it written that self expression equals playing more notes?

Note choice and placement can often be more appropriate than a chop fest, regardless of nationality.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1482017163' post='3197061']
I don't really get some of the other comments about there being no solid beat though...
[/quote]

Yes...
The Kit player is banging out the Snare (loudly) on 2&4. The audience are all clapping and flapping on 2&4.
How solid and easier can it get... :D

I think maybe they can't hear the band, if you think the clapping and flapping is in time with the music I wouldn't be looking to join something like an AC/DC covers band!

As I said before I'm not saying the band is out of time with each other and I can hear the count but the fact the guys sat next to them are not nodding along tells me all I need to know, too busy for me.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

The first 30 seconds, when the audience is in view - Visually, they look like they are clapping on 2&4.
Sound wise, I can't hear any clapping.

To me there seems to be a sound delay when the audience is singing, possibly, because of the distance they are from the recording mic.
It seems to be right next to the Bass and Drums.

I am not sure why I am droning on, I couldn't careless what the audience (or AC/DC for that matter) are singing or clapping along to.
Just responding to a post (PaulGibsonBass). :D

I think he is great. (Although there are better versions of that tune, with him playing, that are knocking around).
Carry on. :)

Edited by lowdown

I'm not a gospel fan but I really like the bass playing in that clip. I like that Jamerson style where there is minimal repetition. Although my music taste leans mainly towards funk, instrumental hip hop and trip hop my #1 album for consistently great basslines is No Rest For The Wicked by New Model Army with Stuart Morrow. It's all there, the intricate lines, the superb tone etc . Here' s a clip of the original line-up at the Marquee in 1985. One of the most underrated/overlooked bands of all time.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMTsqAaUngQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMTsqAaUngQ[/url]

I must have listened to this clip a thousand times, and it never gets boring. Firstly because I love funky gospel and secondly there is always a nuance in his playing that I didn't hear before. His bass playing has so many dynamics, you can get and learn so much from it. What I really love just like Pino, there is not one bit of slap bass. Not against it but it shows how amazing bass playing can be without it. it's just off the wall groove playing. And that famous fill at 2.05 minutes. Just a wow peice of bass playing. It's this and Willie Weeks on Donny Hathaways Little Ghetto Boy. What's your favourite.? [media]http://youtu.be/pATcvr3zAhg[/media]
[/quote]

I liked the dudes playing. I liked his tone and his groove. Its in a big open church which for anyone thats had the displeasure of playing in a big room would know, its hard to get a good sound never mind playing well. That would probably give anyone in the room a lot of echo so depending on where you stand you may hear a bit of delay. All distracting stuff but still hes killing it.
Not a church kinda guy myself but still really liked what this guy was doing.

I must have listened to this clip a thousand times, and it never gets boring. Firstly because I love funky gospel and secondly there is always a nuance in his playing that I didn't hear before. His bass playing has so many dynamics, you can get and learn so much from it. What I really love just like Pino, there is not one bit of slap bass. Not against it but it shows how amazing bass playing can be without it. it's just off the wall groove playing. And that famous fill at 2.05 minutes. Just a wow peice of bass playing. It's this and Willie Weeks on Donny Hathaways Little Ghetto Boy. What's your favourite.? [media]http://youtu.be/pATcvr3zAhg[/media]
[/quote]

Atheist here but boy that tune sounds good. Thats the most musical bit of overplaying I think Ive ever heard, incredible chops..damn he makes it look easy.

https://youtu.be/8qu_vCKJMuM

I'm sure everyone's seen this, but hey...

https://youtu.be/80dsyo2Ox-0

And a couple of Jaco for good measure... He managed to play lots of notes and/or few notes and keep the groove *and* make it sound right!

https://youtu.be/Xn9IqOTIkD4

https://youtu.be/pgwkvbzd9x4

Restraint, and a monster tone...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMICD3aMZpw[/media]

And a bit less restraint:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjltB723bPc[/media]

Leigh Gorman is not my "favourite" bass player by any means, but these two tracks just send shivers down my spine every time I hear them! B)

Edited by Conan