Why become a member? ×

Young lads with some great basses and great playing.

bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1482016825' post='3197059']
yeah I was diggin that Lakland also
[/quote]

I will never understand why some of you guys think it's a particular bass that sounds good.

It's a combination of a few things like ability and a good grasp of EQ. That's 2, there are others.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482089653' post='3197571']

I will never understand why some of you guys think it's a particular bass that sounds good.

It's a combination of a few things like ability and a good grasp of EQ. That's 2, there are others.

Blue
[/quote]

Yeah it's because we like the sound of a particular bass. I assume you like the sound of yours?

No amount of EQ or technique will make a jazz sound like a stingray for example.

Cool clip, guys look like they're having fun and it comes through in their playing.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482105594' post='3197739']

I'm not even going to be creative with my response;

Bass players sound good not basses

Blue
[/quote]So what your saying is, if say I, for example played 10 very different basses from a MM, to a Jazz bass, to an Alembic, to a Ricky, etc etc. all set flat with the same amp again set flat. they would all sound the same.?

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482089653' post='3197571']
[/quote]

I haven't watched the clip yet (but will at lunchtime). But if the lads in that video were playing a number of different basses, and some sounded better than others (to certain listeners) then the only variable must surely be the instruments themselves? Unless they deliberately set up very different tones with different basses.

It's about as fair an A/B test as you could manage surely? :huh:

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1482238178' post='3198697']
It's weird how over the years I've often heard the "it's all in the fingers" thing - but when I ask someone to produce a Musician sound on a P bass, they never do...
[/quote]

A P bass will never sound like a musician... :lol: :ph34r:

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1482232658' post='3198612']
So what your saying is, if say I, for example played 10 very different basses from a MM, to a Jazz bass, to an Alembic, to a Ricky, etc etc. all set flat with the same amp again set flat. they would all sound the same.?
[/quote]

I'm saying your only going to sound as good as you are as a bass player. Gear does not make any of us sound good, it's all about ability not gear.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482244444' post='3198779']
I'm saying your only going to sound as good as you are as a bass player. Gear does not make any of us sound good, it's all about ability not gear.

Blue
[/quote]

But that's a totally different point. Never mind.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1482232658' post='3198612']
So what your saying is, if say I, for example played 10 very different basses from a MM, to a Jazz bass, to an Alembic, to a Ricky, etc etc. all set flat with the same amp again set flat. they would all sound the same.?
[/quote]

I'm saying your playing is going to sound the same under your scenario.

Blue

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1482103477' post='3197722']

Yeah it's because we like the sound of a particular bass. I assume you like the sound of yours?

No amount of EQ or technique will make a jazz sound like a stingray for example.

Cool clip, guys look like they're having fun and it comes through in their playing.
[/quote]

How I sound is a result of how much I practice and learn and ultimately own as a part of my playing skill set.

Those with a high level of ability are going to sound great on a Ric and they will sound great on a Jazz as well.

If you lack ability no bass is going to make you sound good.

Take the marginal player that buys a Music Man bass, he's still going to sound marginal.

Now, I will say that buying that Music Man bass might be the catalyst that encourages that player to invest more time and structured study into the craft. Ultimately making him a better player and obviously sounding better.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482777706' post='3202687']

I'm saying your playing is going to sound the same under your scenario.

Blue
[/quote]

I'll never understand why you think that you have the right to present every one of your opinions as fact...

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482778340' post='3202690']

How I sound is a result of how much I practice and learn and ultimately own as a part of my playing skill set.

Those with a high level of ability are going to sound great on a Ric and they will sound great on a Jazz as well.

If you lack ability no bass is going to make you sound good.

Take the marginal player that buys a Music Man bass, he's still going to sound marginal.

Now, I will say that buying that Music Man bass might be the catalyst that encourages that player to invest more time and structured study into the craft. Ultimately making him a better player and obviously sounding better.

Blue
[/quote]

The basses themselves sound different. Am I wrong?