Why become a member? ×

Modern Albums With Excellent Bass

bass_in_ya_face

10,000 Days by Tool- I love this album and the two before it (Lateralus and Aenima)- all feature the creativity and gnarly Wal tone of Justin Chanceller, who is an absolutely brilliant player.

Listen to 'The Pot' on 10,000 Days for a wicked example of funked-up pickstyle progressive hard-rock :) (Think Sabbath meets King Crimson).

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='307978' date='Oct 16 2008, 04:29 PM']...fantastic playing, but notice how Tears Dry On Their Own (or wft it's called) has taken the bass straight from Marvin Gaye&Tammie Tyrell(sp?)'s Ain't No Mountain. I think it's one semi-tone higher, but apart from that it's a carbon copy! Very Sneaky, Miss Wino :) ![/quote]

'Tears dry on their own' was co-written by Amy with Ashford&Simpson, who were responsible for 'Ain't no mountain high enough' I believe, so well spotted!
My favourite cut on the album, very Motowny feel-killer song.
I went to see Amy just as she was becoming well known promoting 'Back to black', and her band were knockout, especially the bassist/MD and drummer.
Just great to see players supporting the songs, not afraid of leaving space where required etc.

[quote name='rjb' post='308687' date='Oct 17 2008, 03:45 PM']Had a listen to the Wilhelm Scream guys. Nice bass playing, but hated the tunes.

Why do so many American rock bands have annoying, whiny "fratboy" vocals these days?:huh:[/quote]

If by "these days", you mean the last 20 years, and by "American rock bands", you mean American hardcore punk bands, then the only answer I can give is because it sounds great to those who enjoy American hardcore punk bands :)

[quote name='rjb' post='308687' date='Oct 17 2008, 03:45 PM']Had a listen to the Wilhelm Scream guys. Nice bass playing, but hated the tunes.

Why do so many American rock bands have annoying, whiny "fratboy" vocals these days?:)[/quote]

Because it works well / cuts through with the ludicrously over-compressed sound they all use?

[quote name='Wil' post='308285' date='Oct 17 2008, 12:17 AM']I have a lot of respect for Zappa's musicianship and original approach to writing music, don't get me wrong. His popular music, though, while technically out there and very impressive, seems to be technical for the sake of technical as far as I can make out. Doreen has a good tune, though...

Anyway, I guess my point is, screw originality, I want something I can sing loudly in the shower.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Do you know what you are?....you are what you is!....you is what you am!...a cow dont make Ham! :huh:

Pretty much anything that Brian Cook has played on - These Arms Are Snakes (in particular the new album, 'Tail Swallower and Dove'), the latest Russian Circles album 'Station', 'We Are the Romans' by Botch and 'Time & Withering' by Mouth of the Architect are all brilliant. Jeff Caxide from Isis is another great bass player as well, as is Troy Sanders of Mastodon, I'd recommend anything by either of those two bands. Also, +1 for The Mars Volta, 'Day of the Baphomets' is probably their standout track bass-wise.

[quote name='spongebob' post='308844' date='Oct 17 2008, 06:40 PM']I'd advise all bass fans to check out anything by Erase Errata.

Totally brilliant bassing on a Fender Jazz.

Saw them live in '03, one of the best gigs I've seen.[/quote]

Erase Errata sound good. ^_^

Edited by rjb

[quote name='spongebob' post='308844' date='Oct 17 2008, 06:40 PM']I'd advise all bass fans to check out anything by Erase Errata.

Totally brilliant bassing on a Fender Jazz.

Saw them live in '03, one of the best gigs I've seen.[/quote]

They really remind me of fIREHOSE. Very Mike Watt-esq bass playing there.

Edit - so yeah, if you like them, you might also like this: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l94v8u1Cv_o"]fIREHOSE - Brave Captain[/url]

Edited by Wil

[quote name='Wil' post='308728' date='Oct 17 2008, 04:30 PM']If by "these days", you mean the last 20 years, and by "American rock bands", you mean American hardcore punk bands, then the only answer I can give is because it sounds great to those who enjoy American hardcore punk bands :)[/quote]

Tried another track (5 to 9).

I liked this track but I'm still hung up on the the harmonised Emo vocals. I'll work on it..... :huh:

[quote name='rjb' post='309010' date='Oct 18 2008, 12:47 AM']Tried another track (5 to 9).

I liked this track but I'm still hung up on the the harmonised Emo vocals. I'll work on it..... :huh:[/quote]

Well, they're certainly not some trendy scene band if that's what you're worried about :)

There's a parody of a modern record company executive in one of their videos which cracks me up: "I don't see your balls in your jeans. Your hair's not straight ironed... where are the glasses and the bandana? And sh*t kid, we've got no hope for you..."

[quote name='Wil' post='309013' date='Oct 18 2008, 12:51 AM']Well, they're certainly not some trendy scene band if that's what you're worried about :)

There's a parody of a modern record company executive in one of their videos which cracks me up: "I don't see your balls in your jeans. Your hair's not straight ironed... where are the glasses and the bandana? And sh*t kid, we've got no hope for you..."[/quote]

They could be a grower - they're great musicians, that's for sure.

I do hear do some Dillinger Escape Plan influence......

Edited by rjb