Why become a member? ×

New grill cloth for my Aguilar cabs - now with finished result picture.

Painy

Whilst replacing a blown speaker in one of my Aguilar DB112 cabs a couple of weeks ago I was unfortunately unable to get the front baffle out without damaging the grill cloth and piping.
As Aguilar - via Barnes and Mullens - were unable to provide replacement cloth or piping (although they did offer me a complete grill for the bargain price of £204) I just ordered some Marshall gold piping from Strings and Things and some random brown speaker cloth from eBay all for under £20.
I still have to do the other cab so they match but thought I'd share a quick side by side 'before and after' photo as I'm quite proud of the result so far.

Original on the left:

[URL=http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Richard_Pain/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0481_zpsknu1bk70.jpg.html][IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/Richard_Pain/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0481_zpsknu1bk70.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by Painy
  • Like 1

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1478770294' post='3171443']
£204. Are you kidding me?! Some 112 cabs cost that!
[/quote]

I shipped a GS112 and the tweeter was shattered by the courier through 'mishandling', the replacement part from Aggie was over £200, without shipping and taxes form the US!
Ended up figuring something else out, but I was quite startled at the costs involved. Like you say, you can get a whole cab for that!

Eude

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1478775727' post='3171498']
I'm pretty sure that the tweeter Aguilar use is the P-Audio PHT-410, available from Blue Aran for £19.
[/quote]

I'm not sure of the exact model we ended up with but including fitting by someone who knows what they are doing it came to under £70 :)
I do miss that cab a bit though...

Back when I bought my DB212s x 2 in 8 ohms, then sold them to get a DB212 in 4 ohms, they were all just imported by the stores. At that time, it was the Bass Merchant. I think 2009/10?

Anyway, Aguilar slowly became more popular, and rightly so, but as soon as a middleman 'distributor' became involved, all the prices shot up, and have continued to.

Now you can barely get a DB112 for the price I paid for the DB212! Insane.

Funny that BM never had an issue with dealing with Aguilar directly for aftersales care! I got a new cab badge no problem for one of the older cabs and it cost £0.

That looks great. Good work.

I've got speaker cloth (original style Marshall brown, but new) I'm going to fit it to my AER amp two to reduce the weight a little. The steel grill is really solid but very heavy and it will be replaced by a lightweight wooden frame covered by the speaker cloth and velcroed in place.

You've inspired me to get on with this.

Frank.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1478776535' post='3171508']
Back when I bought my DB212s x 2 in 8 ohms, then sold them to get a DB212 in 4 ohms, they were all just imported by the stores. At that time, it was the Bass Merchant. I think 2009/10?

Anyway, Aguilar slowly became more popular, and rightly so, but as soon as a middleman 'distributor' became involved, all the prices shot up, and have continued to.

Now you can barely get a DB112 for the price I paid for the DB212! Insane.

Funny that BM never had an issue with dealing with Aguilar directly for aftersales care! I got a new cab badge no problem for one of the older cabs and it cost £0.
[/quote]

I got my GS112 from Bass Merchant too, for less than half what they are retailing at now.
For me, that means I just can' ever really justify buying anything new from Aguilar, which is really sad.
I wonder what kind of effect the introduction of a distributor has had on their sales, and whether it's actually worth it in the long run...

I'd like to go back to a 2 x 1x12 setup soon, and Aggie just aren't on the radar.

Eude

Thanks for the kind comments first of all. I'll put a picture up all stacked up when the other cab is done.
I did nearly have a heart attack when they quoted £204! It's a bit of cloth, some piping, a bit of plywood and some staples. I'm not even sure that would have included the badge!
Their prices do seem to have taken a bit of a jump recently (along with everything else at the moment though I guess) but when I see that the new price of just one of these cabs is now well over two thirds of the price I payed for the full rig used (including the AG500 head) I have to agree I wouldn't be looking at their stuff new.
I'm very happy to have picked it all up at the price I got it for though :)!

Both speakers now done and I've gotta say, I'm pretty pleased with the end result.

[URL=http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Richard_Pain/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0485_zps8n7ykf5o.jpg.html][IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/Richard_Pain/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0485_zps8n7ykf5o.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Wasn't too difficult at all with a little help from my wife but an extra pair of hands definitely makes the difference - once you've got the cloth positioned and tight you really need someone else to put the staples in.
Just a tip - the staples need to be at about a 45 degree angle to the edge of the frame and only staple about every inch and a half until you've got the tension in - then add more staples inbetween about every quarter inch.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1479048021' post='3173505']
Wasn't too difficult at all with a little help from my wife but an extra pair of hands definitely makes the difference - once you've got the cloth positioned and tight you really need someone else to put the staples in.
Just a tip - the staples need to be at about a 45 degree angle to the edge of the frame and only staple about every inch and a half until you've got the tension in - then add more staples inbetween about every quarter inch.
[/quote]

That's very helpful. Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. :)

Frank.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1479004335' post='3173280']
Both speakers now done and I've gotta say, I'm pretty pleased with the end result.

[url="http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Richard_Pain/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0485_zps8n7ykf5o.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Cracking job mate!
They look awesome.

Eude

[quote name='Treb' timestamp='1479243169' post='3175061']
Great job. Looks better than original IMO. I bet they sound better now too... :lol: When do you start taking orders?
[/quote]

Thanks I am finding myself preferring it now too to be honest.
You know it actually made exactly as much difference to the sound as one of those audiophile power cables that cost several thousand pounds!

Taking orders?
Let me see...
Just found on eBay where I could get enough ply to make 2 baffles for £7 so £3.50 each.
Take that material cost of £3.50 off the £204 cost of a complete grill and you're left with a cost of £200.50 for re-covering it with fabric.
Obviously I'd have to undercut Aguilar's prices so round it down to a nice even £200 per grill (that's for a 1x12 cab - I'd obviously have to charge more for bigger cabs).
Right who'd like to place the first order then? :crazy: