Why become a member? ×

The more I hear about being in a band, the more I really don't want to go there...

Grangur

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1478883376' post='3172451']
I've never heard that saying.

Absolutely not.

Joinabanditis means joining any band with no thought put into it or no questions asked. Just join a band so you can say your in a band.

And it's certainly is not valid for those looking for more than fun.
[b]Joining a band without a plan or an[/b]
[b]understanding of what you want or what the band has to offer does not lead to fun, it leads to disappointment and a negative band experience.[/b]

Your "don't take it so heavy" approach is actually why many younger musicians develop a dislike of bands and playing in bands.

Blue
[/quote]

Why should that be a default setting? I have joined quite a few bands with no clear plan as I enjoy playing with others. Often it has led to a new and interesting musical experience. Also, its music, its an art form, you should try and step outside your comfort zone sometimes. Sometimes it wont work but so what? nothing ventured etc. No one gets hurt.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1479704668' post='3178544']
I think you had false expectations of what being in a band really entails.

Being in a band is about lugging big heavy black boxes into and out of your car and into and out of pubs and clubs.
[/quote]

That's not entirely true. One guitarist I play with has a big heavy red box to lug in and out of cars, pubs, and cubs.

:)

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1479592456' post='3177785']

Why should that be a default setting? I have joined quite a few bands with no clear plan as I enjoy playing with others. Often it has led to a new and interesting musical experience. Also, its music, its an art form, you should try and step outside your comfort zone sometimes. Sometimes it wont work but so what? nothing ventured etc. No one gets hurt.
[/quote]

It's not a default setting. It's merely my opinion. However, I think I'm right.

Don't get me wrong. I also opinion that most of the time if band is suppose to happen it will.

And we're all looking for different types of new and interesting musical experiences. Mine might not be the same as yours.

For many getting out of your comfort zone means taking the time to put some actual thought into what your looking for in a band experience. And some nay be looking for a lot more than new and different musical experiences when scouting for a band.

I know I do. For me, first and foremost I'm looking to play with the best people I can find, not the best musicians. Second, I'm looking for decent pay.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1479704668' post='3178544']
I think you had false expectations of what being in a band really entails.

Being in a band is about lugging big heavy black boxes into and out of your car and into and out of pubs and clubs.
[/quote]

To me that's a very small and insignificant part of being in a band.

But, like we say, were all different

Blue

Not sure that I believe in bands anymore either. A few people come together for a while and have fun.....and it is fun.....then move on. I think it is important to keep moving and focus on the future.....getting better and tighter and developing songs and the sound. But a band is a small space for two people moving in opposite directions. I also think that in general democracy struggles in a band. One person with a strong vision can drive the thing but it is easy to get lazy and tuck in behind and opt out of contributing....I am there at the moment.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1479718598' post='3178603']
Not sure that I believe in bands anymore either. A few people come together for a while and have fun.....and it is fun.....then move on. I think it is important to keep moving and focus on the future.....getting better and tighter and developing songs and the sound. But a band is a small space for two people moving in opposite directions. I also think that in general democracy struggles in a band. One person with a strong vision can drive the thing but it is easy to get lazy and tuck in behind and opt out of contributing....I am there at the moment.
[/quote]

All goes with understanding what you want.

There's no perfect band, very few of us ever find that.

Some of us find ourselves working with the right people whose hearts, experience and commitment are all in the same place.

Blue

At the weekend I saw an ad for an originals band, based about 30 mins drive from me. They are setting up to play stuff with relatively easy, 60's and punk-ish kind of stuff, which with limited time available to me to learn bass lines, would be good. All sounding good...

Then I took a walk and thought about it. My work hours are long and unpredictable. Any band commitment Monday to Thursdays would be out. I could, maybe, be available on Friday nights. I would be available on Saturdays. Sundays is out again.

On balance, I don't have time to be in a band. I read the over the weekend of a BCer who started gigging when he retired. I think that'll be me too, if ever. 'til then the joys of lugging boxes (red or black) will have to remain a dream. I'll stick with playing tunes on my own, in the lounge at home. It does me, for now anyway.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

You took the time to think and realized you don't have the time to be in a band.

Some guys will just join a band when they don't have the time and waste others time.

I quit my job/career because life is too short and working with and playing in a band was where my head and heart was at.

By design, I'm not in any type of life relationship that would interfere with gigging.

Blue

Edited by blue

I can see where blue is coming from here, I've been in these bands where the guitarist "can't do weekdays except Thursday,and only for an hour before 9pm but after 6.30pm, nor weekends, or mornings or evenings" etc, my brain goes straight to- even if we get gig ready will anywhere want a band for an hour starting at 7.15 on a Thursday night?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1479749950' post='3178965']
I can see where blue is coming from here, I've been in these bands where the guitarist "can't do weekdays except Thursday,and only for an hour before 9pm but after 6.30pm, nor weekends, or mornings or evenings" etc, my brain goes straight to- even if we get gig ready will anywhere want a band for an hour starting at 7.15 on a Thursday night?
[/quote]

If you can't do weekends I really don't see it happening. But then, neither do you... (stating the obvious i guess)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1479719121' post='3178608']

There's no perfect band, very few of us ever find that.

[/quote]

99% agree. I think that sometimes you can find a band that's perfect for a period of time.... maybe 6 weeks or maybe 2 years. If you find it, make the most of it while you can.
I also agree that you need to go out for a walk and have a hard conversation with yourself about what you really want.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1479748985' post='3178952']

I quit my job/career because life is too short and working with and playing in a band was where my head and heart was at.

By design, I'm not in any type of life relationship that would interfere with gigging.

Blue
[/quote]
Good idea. I'll do just that. I'll explain it to Mrs G. Can I ask you to explain it to my bank wrt the bank loan on the house?... Please? :D

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1479748985' post='3178952']

You took the time to think and realized you don't have the time to be in a band.

Some guys will just join a band when they don't have the time and waste others time.

[b]I quit my job/career because life is too short and working with and playing in a band was where my head and heart was at[/b].

Blue
[/quote]

Yea but thats a whole different ball game. Most of us do this for fun, we might make a few quid by accident but its rarely the motivation. Anyone looking for the perfect band is looking to be disappointed. If you are looking to make a living at it you have to take pretty much what you get.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1479749950' post='3178965']
[/quote]

Weeknight gigs are usually for Pros that are headlining major rooms, name brand clubs and theaters.

For most of us in local non pro bands we need to be available for Friday, Saturday and Sunday gigs.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1479750569' post='3178978']

Good idea. I'll do just that. I'll explain it to Mrs G. Can I ask you to explain it to my bank wrt the bank loan on the house?... Please? :D
[/quote]

Well, that's why I don't have a Mrs.G or any interest in a Mrs.G

I have an interest in performance, rock & roll and gigging.

We're all different.😁

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1479754229' post='3179024']

Yea but thats a whole different ball game. Most of us do this for fun, we might make a few quid by accident but its rarely the motivation. Anyone looking for the perfect band is looking to be disappointed. If you are looking to make a living at it you have to take pretty much what you get.
[/quote]

I'll tell you this about me.

Yes, I have to be paid but, it has to be fun and I have to be playing with good people.

Blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1479761308' post='3179110']
I meant free time to practice before you even get to gig stage, many bands here don't get beyond the practice room, I've been in some of them! I'd rather slip into an existing band or be involved at the start but with a group of known players/singers rather than hunting them out.
[/quote]

Depending on what you want. But yeah, I would venture to say most start up bands,are not together long enough to see their first gig.

Blue

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1479766641' post='3179193']
you've all got a downer on keys players...be smart - employ a keyboard player who can't play - or can only use 1 finger on each hand....
it's worked for me for decades.

I love being in this band...even though it's a band that uses keys
[/quote]

A lot of bands including ours would love adding a keys. However in the bar band business it's cost prohibitive. No bar band I know can afford keys.

Blue

Edited by blue

I'm in a four piece, raucous rhythm and blues band who play in the back rooms of tatty (and some not so tatty) boozers in the Midlands and I bloody love it. My hat is off to guys who are happy jamming along in their bedrooms to tunes or who are "hired guns" and can step up with minimal rehearsal and deliver. My sight reading is closer to "de-coding" than fluency, I'm afraid. I love to play in front of people (even if it's just two men and a dog...) and I'm fortunate that my current band plays regular, paying gigs. Not enough for me to jettison the day job, but it keeps me in strings and plectrums. Playing live is, for me, the logical extension to all the back bedroom practice. When the day comes that I can't get out and play with a band - and I hope that day is a long way away - I'll still tinker on my lovely basses, but right now, my favourite part of being a musician is live performance with a few like minded fellow travelers.

I've just jacked another band.

I keep on wanting to get a personal project going and then I get distracted.

I know I'm not cut out for the wedding/killers/Dakota/Chelsea Dagger stuff. Plus I didn't want to be out all weekend when I could be with the kids and wife.

I may have jumped too early from my previous band where we had a Chic medley...

Live and learn.

Project is fun, playing "Parklife" 150 times a year is 151 too many.