Why become a member? ×

The more I hear about being in a band, the more I really don't want to go there...

Grangur

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1480271321' post='3182989']
Yes they tried to convince me that the two guitars sounded different. Which to be fair, they did, but everything just morphed into one hash of noise.

Yes. They both played everything. In fact in some tunes one of them played everything and more. On some occasions he 'helped me' by adding extra root notes. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

Or just as bad....... set the bass and drums to play a straights 8 pattern and see how they keep out of the way. This is such a simple test that even 'advanced' players don't get... that sets alarm bells tbh and is most prevalent and tells you a lot about how they 'hear' a band.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1480248494' post='3182741']

That is reasonable, but I'd far rather keys than a 2nd gtr....
I find 2 gtr bands 'can' be quite one dimensional altho that is more down to the player than the 2 gtr idea.
At a local level, mostly it doesn't stand-out.... depends on the gtrs and set-up, of course.

3 pieces..?? :lol:
[/quote]

Good point, I think the best formula for 2 guitarists is the way Kieth Richard and Ronnie Wood play against each other weaving in and out.

Blue

Edited by blue

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1478781362' post='3171567']

Part of the process of becoming an adult is to learn how to reach an accommodation with those we don't agree with - it applies in music as much as anywhere else.

[/quote] Just read through this fascinating thread to try to understand different motivations for playing in a band.
As a bassist turned guitarist I have a bit of both views- from the front and back of the stage.

Above quote is an excellent reminder!