Why become a member? ×

Set-Up Differences

Lozz196

In my band we`re currently "on-hold" waiting for the singer to have a stent put in his heart. As such haven`t picked up my gigging bass since, well our last gig at the start of October, have just been playing my "at home bass".

Anyway, as things are looking likely we`ll be back to gigging at the end of this month I`ve just put a new set of strings on my gigging bass as I have a pretty free weekend, and was amazed at the difference in set-up compared to my at home bass. Both are the same bass, 2015 US Standard Precision, but the height of the strings and the neck-relief are so much more on the gigger - probably cos I tend to hit very hard live.

Anyone else do this, have basses set up differently, fo different reasons/uses?

Btw I have an at home bass so I don`t have to swap strings too often, I get about a month out of a set of Rotos on the gigger, if I used that one at home as well I`d probably only get about 2 weeks from them.

No... I want to be able to everything I can, on a whim, so that means the basses are set up very similar.
Same strings, same sort of action, same response back and I vary things around with my right hand.

Some basses I wouldn't even pick up as I know they wouldn't work..

There's obviously the feel difference and you can play harder with a higher action. I also hear a tone difference that is not just the pickups being closer or further away from the string, Although that does affect things as we know.
A very low action you can get a good tone from some fret buzz. A medium action lets you dig in a little more but get a bit of buzz if needed. And to me a high action does seem to have a different tone maybe more rounder the strings have all the room to really resonate maybe?

To me it would be perfectly logical to have multiple of the exact same bass model with the same string but having different setups.

Some players have less or more setup sensitivity some sound the same and great no matter what and others need a certain setup on all basses and some can use different setups for different styles.

I'm not that great but also not that fussy about my basses set up. I have gotten them all second hand and not changed the set up at all on them.
Yes they are all different, and 3 different necks as well, but it seems to work for me.
I am not a technical fast player and just like to try to keep the baseline and the song together.
All G&Ls 1 ASAT solid body thick #7 old fashioned P bass type neck
1ASAT semi hollow #8 thin neck
1L1500 #12 neck

Only similarity is a rosewood fret board and GHS Boomer strings.

Each I love and I pick up the bass I think suits the song.

Keeps you fresh!

I have a few basses and they all feel very different so hard to tell. The action is certainly higher on a couple but I also use different string makes and material on different basses along with different gauges. I guess I like it that way as each bass has it's own character more so than if they were all setup the same. As my moods change so does the bass I play as my main one.

The older I get the less fussy I am in terms of the action of a bass. Most of my basses now have about the same action, but I make allowances to fit each bass as I can't expect to get the same action on my Gibson EB3 as on my Sadowsky. I generally use heavier strings and a much higher action now than I did about ten years ago. I started using the bigger strings to fit the lower tunings, but it also had the knock on effect of making it harder for me to continue 'slapping and popping and double thumbing on really light strings' technique which I l had learned for the sake of learning rather for the sake of actually being interested in that type of playing.

I usually have D'addario Balanced Tension 120-50 strings on the 'downtuned' basses and 105-45 D'addarios on the standard tuning ones. I'm not fussy in terms of strings though, I will swap the standard tuning D'addarios for Ernie Ball or Rotosound with no problems.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1478355793' post='3168580']
I can't get on with Roto strings, they just go dead too quickly, have you tried Elites Lozz?
[/quote]

I have Pete, nice but no other brand that I`ve tried - yet - can quite get that Roto sound. Elites I found to be quite close, as are DR Fat Beams and Dean Markley Blue Steels but Rotos still edge it for me. It just gets on my nerves that they die so quickly.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1478357774' post='3168596']
The older I get the less fussy I am in terms of the action of a bass. Most of my basses now have about the same action, but I make allowances to fit each bass as I can't expect to get the same action on my Gibson EB3 as on my Sadowsky. I generally use heavier strings and a much higher action now than I did about ten years ago. I started using the bigger strings to fit the lower tunings, but it also had the knock on effect of making it harder for me to continue 'slapping and popping and double thumbing on really light strings' technique which I l had learned for the sake of learning rather for the sake of actually being interested in that type of playing.

I usually have D'addario Balanced Tension 120-50 strings on the 'downtuned' basses and 105-45 D'addarios on the standard tuning ones. I'm not fussy in terms of strings though, I will swap the standard tuning D'addarios for Ernie Ball or Rotosound with no problems.
[/quote]

An eb3 if long scale should get just the same action as a sadowsky or any other higher end instrument. Any good luthier should be able to get any bass to play excellently given the time. If its the shortscale version then not as applicable as the string tension is different on a shorty.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1478369026' post='3168708']

I have Pete, nice but no other brand that I`ve tried - yet - can quite get that Roto sound. Elites I found to be quite close, as are DR Fat Beams and Dean Markley Blue Steels but Rotos still edge it for me. It just gets on my nerves that they die so quickly.
[/quote]

Suffering for your art :D

My bitsa Jazz , has a high action , because I find a much better balance across the output of the strings .
Could it be that they are allowed to vibrate more freely , without buzzing on frets ? .
I had a terrible problem with the output varying across the strings with a low action
Tried balanced tension sets etc etc , but as soon as I raised the action , balance heaven !
I only use Fender 7250M ( quite cheap ) but I dont seem to notice how high the action is when gigging .
Anyhow , what amp are you using now Lozz ( I take it you sold my Ampeg on ? )
Pete

Currently using an Aguilar AG500 or Aguilar Tonehamer 500, Pete. The Ampeg was great but if anything too solid and rich for what I need. It seems that the amps that I really like when hearing others use them aren`t the ones I need for my band - hence not using Ampeg or Ashdown, even though these are my faves. I need a much more aggressive tone, which differs greatly from what I like to hear when listening to a band.

Edited by Lozz196

I have given up on heavy gear ( Mesa Boogie 600W M-Pulse head , 2 2x10 Powerhouse cabs ) because every morning after a gig , my lower back would hurt like hell .
Now using 2 2x12 G&K Neo cabs ( 50lb each ) , and a Warwick LWA 1000 Head .( 6lb in weight !) - NO back problems now .

Just measured the action on my Bitsa Jazz .......at 12th fret distance between bottom of string to top of fret ...........
E .140" A .130" D .120" G .110"
About .015" relief on neck
String Gauge .105 .085 .065 .045

Pete

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1478369979' post='3168721']
An eb3 if long scale should get just the same action as a sadowsky or any other higher end instrument. Any good luthier should be able to get any bass to play excellently given the time. If its the shortscale version then not as applicable as the string tension is different on a shorty.
[/quote]

My EB3 is short scale. I think that all EB3 basses are short scale other than the EB3L, which I would love to try. I can get a pretty good set up on mine, which is a 1974 model. The limitations and eccentricities of the shorter scale length and three point bridge means that there is also a degree of compromise between action, string tension and intonation. I could probably get an absolute dynamite set up out of it if I replaced the bridge, but that would probably be more hassle than stress than it is worth. I've had for over fifteen years now, so it is definitely a keeper anyway!

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1478369979' post='3168721']
An eb3 if long scale should get just the same action as a sadowsky or any other higher end instrument. Any good luthier should be able to get any bass to play excellently given the time.
[/quote]

Assuming the neck is in good shape and the hardware is sufficiently adjustable of course.

I play the same basses at home as I gig with anyway but this thread did make me take a look at the comparative set-ups between my basses.
My Squier P has a very low action which is my preference - basically as lows as it'll go (I like the chiming overtones of the strings hitting the frets) without the notes choking.
My new SUB Ray, I had lowered the action a bit when I got it and it was pretty good but comparing them properly there was a bit more relief in the neck than I like so I've just tweeked the truss rod a little and it's now much better and on par with the P.
My Fender Jazz on the other hand I've never been able to set up quite as low despite it being the more expensive of the three. I think I might need to invest in some nut files before I can get it quite where I want it.
Basically though I find the setup that works for me works for everything I do whether it's gigging, practicing or recording.

Edited by Painy