Why become a member? ×

NCD - I have joined the club...

Kev

I have finally yielded, let's see what all the fuss is about:-

Barefaced Super Compact Gen 3 and Midget T Gen 2.

I'm hoping that I won't need this full mini stack and the Super Compact will be enough on it's own, but we will see :)

First rehearsal with them on Sunday, first gig at the start of December, lets see how they do!

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1478285695' post='3168235']
You should know better than to believe everything you read on the internet. :lol:

Looking forward to your impressions.
[/quote]

They certainly promise a lot. I tried a Gen 1 Compact out and wasn't particularly impressed, my opinion on Barefaced has sort of been based on this, as well as the slight disbelief that their 1x12 cabs can only be compared to 2x12 from anyone else.

However at house level volumes both of these cabs sound very good indeed, so I am looking forward to putting them to the test :) I'll also be able to AB each of them against a Berg 112, which will be interesting! :)

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1478288020' post='3168262']
Interesting combo of old gen Midget and new SC. Will be interesting to hear how they fare together. I still rate the sC as my favourite ever cab and cannot wait to be able to afford one again :)
[/quote]
Had a word with Alex about it and apparently he thinks the Midget T is arguably a better match for the Super Compact than the original Compact :)

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1478288110' post='3168265']
Had a word with Alex about it and apparently he thinks the Midget T is arguably a better match for the Super Compact than the original Compact :)
[/quote]

In that case it will be awesome - I had a Gen 2 Midget/Compact set-up and that was great, so if Alex reckons this pairing will be better, well be prepared for a very daft grin that lasts for the whole rehearsal.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1478282634' post='3168216']
I have finally yielded, let's see what all the fuss is about:-

[/quote]

Oh no .. overhang ....

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1478302081' post='3168375']
Oh no .. overhang ....
[/quote]

Haha, I also had to make a slight modification to the amp's feet to make it clear the Midget T's handle....eek!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1478302672' post='3168381']
Haha, I also had to make a slight modification to the amp's feet to make it clear the Midget T's handle....eek!
[/quote]

When I use my compact and midget I always stand the midget vertically, I understand that some people might find this "underhang" visually offensive though.

So did a good 2 hour rehearsal with the band tonight (with [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSkid1A9wbI"]this[/url] kind of music) up against two guitarists armed with AxeFX, Blackstar Valves and 4x12 cabs.

They sounded superb. Found myself rolling the tweeter almost all the way off as I was getting enough highs without it (a pedal I uses rolls high end off anyway). My tone sounded HUGE. The Darkglass amp was running at 4ohms so the full 900w was being pumped out into these cabs. As you will see in the picture, I barely turned the thing past 9'oclock. I turned it up to 12 o'clock for fun and quite comfortably drowned out the guitarist who had turned his 100W valve head right up. The room was vibrating and the air coming out of the bass ports was crazy. Incredible stuff

To compare the Super Compact alone (I really bother trying the Midget alone) to the Bergantino CN112 I used previously (the cab that for me performed better than the Vanderkley MNT112 beast I had before it) there was a very specific noticeable difference; the Barefaced had much more low end. And deep low end too, the kind you feel rather than necessarily hear, it was very satisfying indeed. The room we were in tonight as well is a bit pants acoustically and the bottom tends to disappear, so it was particularly pleasing to hear it perform so well in there. The one comment I would make about the comparison with the Berg is that I did not find the Barefaced to be noticeably louder as such. Or, to put it this way, I had the level on the amp about the same for each. Of course, this could be a different story on stage when there is some distance from the cab. But the Barefaced sounded much, much better, with a much fuller tone and deeper low end. The Berg is quite mid heavy which is great for cutting through but sometimes its a bit to much, whereas the Barefaced is far more balanced and rounded. The Barefaced also seemed to project the sound better, you don't need to be directly in front of it to hear it properly, something the Berg and other low profile 1x12's iv tried suffer from.

The two cabs stacked really well, overhang aside ;). Although cab size plays its part, I definitely heard a tonal difference between the Gen 2 and Gen 3 drivers. I found the Midget to be more mid forward than the Super Compact, and with the tweeter off the Midget did not seem to handle highs as well as the SC. Turning the amp closer to full power, the Midget felt like it was being pushed harder, never strained by any means but the cone was dancing away. The SC seemed to be lapping the power up and hungry for more! But the tone and performance of the two together seemed really, really good and I am looking forward to trying these out at a gig. Our first gig as a band is coming up on 4th December so we'll see how they do!

I would still like to try this against some other 2x12 stacks to see if they are 'louder' or not, but they are certainly the best 12's I have tried whilst experimenting with various cabs this year. Edited by Kev

Nice review Kev. To me it was very useful as you compared it to Berg and other 12s over the year. As others have said, Barefaced cannot cheat Physics but by good design and novel use of established techniques they can make cabinets that compare with anything else on the market. Like others, I hope you continue the thread with your future experience.

Edited by Chienmortbb

Nobody "cheats physics". . . you either use it well or not so well.

The point of the [i]super cab[/i] makers like Barefaced, Greenboy, Bergantino, Acme, Baer, etc, is that they employ the physics in specific and efficient ways to improve the performance of their products.