Why become a member? ×

Intonation. Issues. Aargh.

NancyJohnson

Unsure whether here or repairs and technical.

I run a few basses and am a bit of a stickler for making sure the notes are as spot on as they can be on the neck (including up in the dusty parts thereof). I'll prefix the issue I'm having by saying that I do know how to do the general set up poop, truss rod, action, intonation, just to let you know I'm not a[i] foole[/i].

Anyhoo, I recently put a set of Dunlop Stainless Steel 45/105 Super Brights on one of my basses (my previously cursed Lull) and noticed in passing that the intonation at the 12th fret on the D&G strings was off, whereas previously, it's been fine. Tiptop and dandy as they would have said a hundred years ago or less. 'That sounds a bit flat,' I thought. Meanwhile, my £10 Aria Pro II is laughing its sock off.

Adjusted the bridge (it's a two part bridge) and it just won't intonate on those strings. I've adjust the saddle back and forth (to a point where the strings should be very sharp) and it's really weird, the 12th fret on both strings is just flat irrespective of where the saddle is.

I'm at a loss. Strings? Living on a ley line?

I did give some thought to the pickups being too high and dropped the bridge unit a couple of mm, bit to no effect.

There's a pack of Elixir Nanowebs incoming, so I'll swap them over when they arrive. The old set of Elixirs were on for nearly a year and the only reason I changed them was the E was getting dull...the rest were OK.

I did a bit of searching online and found a thread on Talkbass where a guy had the same issue with a set of DRs. I just don't get how a string can be dodgy, let alone two in the same set. Hopefully, when the new set arrives, problem will go away.

I'm kind of done with Dunlops now. You get what you p(l)ay for, I suppose.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1478025550' post='3166149']
I did give some thought to the pickups being too high and dropped the bridge unit a couple of mm, bit to no effect.

There's a pack of Elixir Nanowebs incoming, so I'll swap them over when they arrive. The old set of Elixirs were on for nearly a year and the only reason I changed them was the E was getting dull...the rest were OK.

I did a bit of searching online and found a thread on Talkbass where a guy had the same issue with a set of DRs. I just don't get how a string can be dodgy, let alone two in the same set. Hopefully, when the new set arrives, problem will go away.

I'm kind of done with Dunlops now. You get what you p(l)ay for, I suppose.
[/quote]

I've had whole packs of DRs that were completely f***ed from the outset, bass strings & acoustic guitar strings.
I stopped using them because I had so many duff sets, the acoustic strings especially. Absolute garbage considering how much they cost.

Went over to Newtone strings for bass & acoustic & haven't had a problem since.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1478025894' post='3166156']
I've had whole packs of DRs that were completely f***ed from the outset, bass strings & acoustic guitar strings.
I stopped using them because I had so many duff sets, the acoustic strings especially. Absolute garbage considering how much they cost.

Went over to Newtone strings for bass & acoustic & haven't had a problem since.
[/quote]

I changed from DR's as they seemed to slip on the QC front,or rather I had a couple of duff one very quickly. Whereas, upto that point, I'd had no issues for nigh on 20 years or so.
And DR's aren't cheap. Generally, tho, that is why I stay off ceap strings..too masny varibles and the point of a new set is that they sound great out the pack.

Newtones last me longer, but I find 3 cleans tends to finish them off and thereafter they're in the bin. But, this is acceptable and no worse than other top brands.
I find Daddario don't clean up as well for example, IME.

[quote name='MOSCOWBASS' timestamp='1478035785' post='3166308']
I also had intonation problems with Dunlop superbrights.
[/quote]
Same here, had an A string was well out.
I do like my Dunlops, but have now had 3 separate occasions where they have let me down, snapped one on it's first tuning, had a dull E string and then the A string that wouldn't intonate. Twice with Nickels and once superbrights.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1478026400' post='3166169']
Paul, I know you have your action set pretty low, but have you tried setting the intonation using harmonics, rather than fretting the note?
Just thinking it might eliminate the matter of string stretch as you fret and test for other issues.
[/quote]

Hey Rich
Tuning on the D and G is spot on when the string is both open and the harmonic is pinched. It's only when you fret that it's out.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1478028009' post='3166200']
I changed from DR's as they seemed to slip on the QC front,or rather I had a couple of duff one very quickly. Whereas, upto that point, I'd had no issues for nigh on 20 years or so.
And DR's aren't cheap. Generally, tho, that is why I stay off ceap strings..too masny varibles and the point of a new set is that they sound great out the pack.

Newtones last me longer, but I find 3 cleans tends to finish them off and thereafter they're in the bin. But, this is acceptable and no worse than other top brands.
I find Daddario don't clean up as well for example, IME.
[/quote]

While I mostly agree, I have been using the ultra-cheap Harley Benton strings from Thomann for the last year or so. In ten or more packs I have not had a dull string or any intonation problems, and they last at least as long as Rotosounds, D'addarios or DRs. I clean them with meths, and as you say get probably two good cleans before they are recycled.

For four quid a set that is just unbelievable! B)

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1478068536' post='3166437']

Hey Rich
Tuning on the D and G is spot on when the string is both open and the harmonic is pinched. It's only when you fret that it's out.
[/quote]
Then what you're seeing is the effect of the string being under greater tension changing the tuning and therefore the intonation as you fret the note. A number of my basses do that. I use Elixirs and can't really perfect the intonation on my Warwick basses. If you fi d an answer I'm interested. So far I've just accepted that it's all part of life.

Setting intonation using harmonics doesn't really work as it does not bring the fret into the equation.

You should be able to get intonation dead on at the 12th (fretting), if you can't there is either a setup issue or a problem with the strings themselves. Based on what you've said it does sound like you've got a bad set of strings. It happens!

Usually an incorrectly cut nut will make notes sharp, but take a look at the nut and make sure nothing looks off. Have a look at the bridge saddles also.

Having pickups set too high will make the note fluctuate rather than being sharp or flat.

What's it like elsewhere on the neck? Particularly the first few frets.

Edited by Manton Customs

Well, here we are full circle. A set of Elixir Nanoweb 45/105 (14077) arrived about an hour ago. Fitted to the Lull and intonation is spot on again. I've also (re)adjusted the pickups up a bit and may drop the bridge a bit later to get things nice and rattly. I still don't really get how bad strings occur or more to the point how you'd get two in one set. Anyhow, as I said earlier, I think I'm done with buying Dunlops, at least the Elixirs have been consistent for me and they last forever.

Not all lost either; the E&A from the offending Dunlop set were fine and given they were only on the Lull for a few days were still fresh, so I just put them on one of my Thunderbirds.