Why become a member? ×

How Do You Value Yourself As A Musician, What Are You Worth?

blue

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1477210648' post='3160483']
Wouldn't this question have been more successfully answered on TalkBass, being that it's an American forum?
[/quote]

It's also a very closed minded forum of mostly wannabees.

Not a fan.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1477000223' post='3159244'] I remember I did go to a jam that consisted of local heavy hitters. I even had one if their own vet me or vouge for me. A new set opened and my guy introduced me and asked if I could play a couple of tunes with s well known guitarist and harp player. The organizer said "no" and they played without s bass player. [/quote] That reminds me of one time - the funniest thing I've ever come across - was at an unfamiliar jam night that I went to once was being asked [i]what type of bass guitar I had in my case[/i]. I actually laughed at the guy who asked me and asked him what difference it made. I think he wanted me to have some desirable vintage instrument before he put my name down to slot in with someone. After a long one-way discussion with much *unsuccessful* fishing on his part, I opened the bass case when it was my turn to get up on stage and back some poor sap playing a really turgid version of 'Knocking on Heaven's door' and got out my Hamer 12-string bass. I never went back.

Going back to Blue's original dilemma - I'd say it's not what you know, it's WHO you know. Networking will get you more openings. You need to talk to the right people.

Edited by 12stringbassist

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1477266349' post='3161042']

Going back to Blue's original dilemma - I'd say it's not what you know, it's WHO you know. Networking will get you more openings. You need to talk to the right people.
[/quote]

And in my case who you know didn't even matter.Couldn't have had a more "the right person" in my corner.

The guy that vouged for me was the bass player for the organizer who said "No". Both have known each other and we're founding members of Milwaukee's premier blues band. They've known each other for over 50 years.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1477273428' post='3161051']

And in my case who you know didn't even matter.Couldn't have had a more "the right person" in my corner.

The guy that vouged for me was the bass player for the organizer who said "No". Both have known each other and we're founding members of Milwaukee's premier blues band. They've known each other for over 50 years.

Blue
[/quote]
That is a really bizarre situation - was there some dynamic between the two of them going on where you got caught in the middle or have you slept with his ex-wife or something??

Edited by peteb

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1477252258' post='3160910']
It's also a very closed minded forum of mostly wannabees.

Not a fan.

Blue
[/quote]

I haven't spent much time over there but I suspect most forums talk a better game than they play... but yes, maybe the Americans ones are a bit more 'intense'

I find you need to be here for a few years to get to know who knows what they are talking about...or rather-because we all have opinions, have formed those opinions through experience rather than reading about it..

This is why, my feeling is, get out and do it..and make the same mistakes that everyone else does in the formative years. The trick is what you learn from that, IMO.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1477307490' post='3161205']

That is a really bizarre situation - was there some dynamic between the two of them going on where you got caught in the middle or have you slept with his ex-wife or something??
[/quote]

No, nothing like that Pete.

It's just a good example of how clicky some if these musicians are. I'm not from Milwaukee. I'm still an outsider from New Jersey.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1476651947' post='3156072']

My home would be the road, something I've always wanted.

I'm single and my kids are working adults, I could get up and leave tonight if the right opportunity presented itself.

Blue
[/quote]

I had an opportunity many years ago early 80's to up sticks join an established Band who were gigging regularly a full time job at the time and didn't take it up remaining at my home town...gigging occasionally a move that I have regretted many times. At the time i had nothing to stop me...my advice for anyone given the opportunity take it or spend your entire life thinking what if.

[quote name='thebigyin' timestamp='1477501737' post='3162654']

I had an opportunity many years ago early 80's to up sticks join an established Band who were gigging regularly a full time job at the time and didn't take it up remaining at my home town...gigging occasionally a move that I have regretted many times. At the time i had nothing to stop me...my advice for anyone given the opportunity take it or spend your entire life thinking what if.
[/quote]

I know 2 guys that are successful touring with international stars. I attended High School with both and played in bands with both.

They both took high risks at a young age. I went off to University.:(

Blue

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1477499771' post='3162638']
Why the hell would you take a 12 string bass to a jam night? A bit self-defeating. We all know what jam nights are for
[/quote]

Guitarists and blues harp players around here.In many cases bass is not open for outsiders.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1477499771' post='3162638']
Why the hell would you take a 12 string bass to a jam night? A bit self-defeating. We all know what jam nights are for
[/quote]

[i][b]Without wanting to take this off topic....[/b][/i]
And what is the problem with taking a 12-string bass to a jam night?
It's only a bass.
I often take it to the jam night I run.
Never had any issues with it being there.

Edited by 12stringbassist

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1477506362' post='3162699']
Guitarists and blues harp players around here.In many cases bass is not open for outsiders.

Blue
[/quote]

Earning on a down night for venue and musician running it.
I'm not keen if the deal is 12 bar, tbh.. so it really depends WHO runs it and who they get to support it.
The better ones are for guys looking for a few dates and just to show your face that you are available.

It is important to have a decent mix but the starter guys can't be allowed to bog down the evening...as nobody will come and listen and the 'night' has no real long term appeal. This is why you pay the core band and introduce new people sparingly. You can afford one train wreck, but not more than that, IMO.

If I was making a living from playing 4 hour bar gigs, I would be considering my options too. Do you teach bass? If so, do you get paid more for doing a 4 hour bar gig (to include expenses and travel time) than you would for teaching for 4 hours in the comfort of your own home? Granted, it may not be as glamorous, but if it's your sole income it's worth a thought.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1477600020' post='3163338']

Earning on a down night for venue and musician running it.
I'm not keen if the deal is 12 bar, tbh.. so it really depends WHO runs it and who they get to support it.
The better ones are for guys looking for a few dates and just to show your face that you are available.

It is important to have a decent mix but the starter guys can't be allowed to bog down the evening...as nobody will come and listen and the 'night' has no real long term appeal. This is why you pay the core band and introduce new people sparingly. You can afford one train wreck, but not more than that, IMO.
[/quote]

Depends on the community, here your not going to meet other musicians with work at open mics. Working musicians don't attend these open to the public open mics. It's strictly a 'newbie" scene.

Blue

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1477658431' post='3163643']
If I was making a living from playing 4 hour bar gigs, I would be considering my options too. Do you teach bass? If so, do you get paid more for doing a 4 hour bar gig (to include expenses and travel time) than you would for teaching for 4 hours in the comfort of your own home? Granted, it may not be as glamorous, but if it's your sole income it's worth a thought.
[/quote]

Adding teaching to my stream of income is something I'd consider. It's a $25.00 per half hour proposition. If you can keep a half dozen of reliable students it's a good deal.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1477675943' post='3163840']
Depends on the community, here your not going to meet other musicians with work at open mics. Working musicians don't attend these open to the public open mics. It's strictly a 'newbie" scene.

Blue
[/quote]

Working musicians run them and get paid here .... which is why they are on mondays or tues, and nowhere near the weekend

The house-band gets paid.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1477677818' post='3163860']

Working musicians run them and get paid here .... which is why they are on mondays or tues, and nowhere near the weekend

The house-band gets paid.
[/quote]

Yeah and that pay is generally not as much as weekend pay. It's merely a way for the land Lord to generate a little more business during slow week nights and for newbies to get a chance to play.

It's not a vehicle for seasoned musicians to network or get work.

Blue

Of course it isn't a great payer but who else is paying on those down nights... so it is better than not earning at all, but you have to get good players along
as no one is going to listen to it all night if the music isn't good enough.
You need a good balance which is why no one gets more than a few numbers altho the better players tend to get more time as the evening still needs to sell as an event week in, week out.

If the band-leader of the house band is a booker, then it is also an opportunity to network...
I'd expect the ones worth going to around here will be ones where a few gigs are on offer. Otherwise, what is the point of anyone going to them to play?