Why become a member? ×

How Do You Value Yourself As A Musician, What Are You Worth?

blue

[quote name='CrackerJackLee' timestamp='1478555395' post='3169922']
I look at a bar gig only as a practice session. a glorified practice... It saves you renting a practice room. It takes your regular rehearsal to a more intense level. But bar/pub owners get no respect or consideration from me.

They pay the bartenders, servers, the people who make the beer and liquor, the guy who sweeps the floor, repairs their roof, their cooks, their accountants... they pay everyone and take a profit... BUT they don't pay the musicians... and if they do, it barely pays for gas...

you carry your gear to the car, load the car, get gas, drive, park, unload, carry, set-up... then you play four hours... buy a beer and a sandwich... then break down the gear, carry, load the car, read the parking ticket, stare at the new dent in the fender, drive home at 1:30 in the morning, unload, place your gear in the house, and collapse on the couch... all for $37.55...you actually lose money to play in a bar... and you ain't gonna make it anyhow...

my band is now only interested in outdoor events... more exposure - no drunks - no owners... like a day trip... family is free to hang out or shop... enjoy the day... get home at a decent hour... to hell with bars... working for free is slavery. Enjoy...!
[/quote]

[URL=http://s536.photobucket.com/user/lowdown1957/media/15032842_10210182613814706_6041348352195493846_n.jpg.html][IMG]http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff330/lowdown1957/15032842_10210182613814706_6041348352195493846_n.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1478616589' post='3170313']
Guys, there is just not much depping over here in my corner of the world, even if there was I doubt I'd be called by anyone.

Blue
[/quote]

That sounds strange. I'd have thought those people would need guys to call on. If you talked to Greg--if he is cool about it, don't ask HIM for a dep job, ask him if he knows of anyone needing someone. No one likes to be sand-bagged for a gig.... especially if they hardly know you.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1478624993' post='3170414']

That sounds strange. I'd have thought those people would need guys to call on. If you talked to Greg--if he is cool about it, don't ask HIM for a dep job, ask him if he knows of anyone needing someone. No one likes to be sand-bagged for a gig.... especially if they hardly know you.
[/quote]

As I said, depping is not real big in my part of the world.

I really don't plan on asking Greg anything. He's really not a resource for me.

Blue

Edited by blue