Why become a member? ×

Rick is really ill. Sending my best wishes

jacko

looks like Mr Parfitt is a lot worse than anyone thought. Got this from ticketmaster..

"Status Quo regret to announce that guitarist Rick Parfitt has been ordered to rest for the remainder of the year at the very least following on from his heart attack and associated complications following a Quo show in Turkey on June 14th.

This means, of course, that he will be unable to take part in the forthcoming ‘Last Night Of The Electrics’ European and UK tour which commences in Vienna, Austria on October 12th.

Simon Porter, the band’s manager comments, “Although Rick is recovering well and is now able to lead a relatively normal day to day life, he is far from being fit enough to undertake the rigours of Quo’s touring schedule. Perhaps now is the time to reveal that Rick actually ‘died’ for several minutes directly following his heart attack which resulted in mild cognitive impairments for which he continues to receive neuropsychological support.

His medical team continue to be confident of a full recovery, but Rick’s absolute priorities for the foreseeable future are for his health and wellbeing and to be able to see his eight year old twin children Tommy and Lily grow up. To this end, Rick may well have performed his last show with Quo, but no final decision will be made until next year. Regardless, it is his wish that the band continue to tour as planned and he will always be a part of Quo’s numerous other off stage activities”.

Rick has given his full blessing for the band to continue to honour their touring schedule in order to not let down the fans. Until the end of 2016, Status Quo will continue to utilise guest musicians. Irish guitarist Richie Malone, who is currently playing with the band, will continue in this role at least until the end of Quo’s European schedule which concludes in Paris on December 4th. Freddie Edwards, son of Quo bass player John 'Rhino' Edwards also stepped in for Rick during some of the Summer shows.

Rick will also use his convalescence period to compose songs for a long overdue solo album which he plans to record early next year. In the meantime, both Rick and the band would like to thank the fans for their continued understanding and support."

Hoping he'll get well enough to see out the rest of his life happily playing with his kids. Mrs jacko is gutted - she's been in love with him since the 70's.

Yes he's had heart problems before and I think his body is just telling him that enough's enough. Leaves Rossi as the only original member but essentially it has been the double act of Parfitt & Rossi that have been the 'Quo brand' for many years now. Other bands have soldiered on with only one founder member but you wonder how long Rossi will really want to go on long term without Rick. Missing a few shows is one thing but if he's gone permanently it will change the dynamic.

• 1 month later...

A shame but I think he`s made the right decision. I`m just gutted that I never got round to seeing Quo with the pair of them. I`m sure musically they`ll still be as good, but Quo really is Francis & Rossi (plus Rhino I suppose, he`s been there for years now).

I'm hoping it's not another Malcolm Young situation, but Francis Rossi was on the Danny Baker show last weekend saying that Rick has got problems with his short term memory and he wasn't sure he'd ever be up to playing in a band again.

Very sad. One of the first gigs I ever went to was Status Quo's London farewell show at Selhurst Park in 1984...saw them on the next tour too

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1477697639' post='3163973']

Very sad. One of the first gigs I ever went to was Status Quo's London farewell show at Selhurst Park in 1984...saw them on the next tour too��
[/quote]

I was at that gig too. Very memorable. Wish I'd seen them again.