Why become a member? ×

NBD... More 80's graphite

ped

I tried to get a 'sofa shot' inspired by the pictures taken by [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maruszczyk![/font][/color]

[url="https://flic.kr/p/L7Z9AZ"][/url]

She's a Vigier Arpege, made in 1986. Specs:

Carbon neck thru
2x Benedetti single coil pickups
Schaller hardware
Walnut body
Volume with pull boost
Pickup switch
Parametric frequency gain (+/- 15db I think)
Parametric frequency filter (80hz to 5200hz)
Phase switch
Tone
Direct electronic bypass output jack (top)
Normal output jack (side)

Compared to the Passion bass, the Arpege is more open sounding, more like a jazz bass I suppose you could say. Although I'd probably liken the sound more to a Smith. The neck is identical to my Passion, but with a glossy headstock. The action is just as I like it - super super low ;)

I'll record some sounds soon and post them up for comparison.

Relaxing on a different sofa

[url="https://flic.kr/p/M24VTW"][/url]

And here she is with her sister (1988 Passion)

[url="https://flic.kr/p/M24WsS"][/url]

Thanks chaps. Yeah the body shape is beautiful. I love the details like the angular bottom bout and lower horn. The bass is still very light, but due to the walnut body it's a tad heavier than the Passion (which is only 3kg). In BC tradition I'll endeavour to weigh it later.

And yeah the tuning head covers have been a trademark for years now, feels funny playing a bass without them (although they only work on 2+2 headstocks imo)

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1473544312' post='3131173']
Now that's what you call a chunky bridge! HNBD :)
[/quote]

Yes it's a bit of a beast. I'm not sure but I think it's vigier's own or possibly kahler. Very adjustable though and string through body. I could probably clean it up a little with some metal polish but I'm not 100% sure what it's made of.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1473582264' post='3131281']

Yes it's a bit of a beast. I'm not sure but I think it's vigier's own or possibly kahler. Very adjustable though and string through body. I could probably clean it up a little with some metal polish but I'm not 100% sure what it's made of.
[/quote]

Does look like a Kahler
That's a beautiful looking bass - a bit of Guild and Rickenbacker styling in that body shape, much prettier than a Status IMO
Good score ! :) Is this the one you had all the shipping hassle with?

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1473583759' post='3131292']

Does look like a Kahler
That's a beautiful looking bass - a bit of Guild and Rickenbacker styling in that body shape, much prettier than a Status IMO
[/quote]

I know the bridges on the series 3 basses were kahler and I'm sure I read this was but can't remember where. I prefer this old version as it's far more adjustable than the new one where to adjust the action you rotate the saddle to move it up and down but if your preferred height is a half turn you can't get the string in the groove!

I think the Arpege shape is the oldest vigier made, then the passion shape emerged a tiny bit later. The body is quite big in comparison which looks great to my eyes. It has a sort of violin shape at the bottom and I've never had a walnut bass before. Good call on the Rick comparison. It can actually sound quite close, too.

Shipping was a nightmare; it took them three extra days to pick it up and when they did the tracking number led nowhere. I assumed as it was bank holiday it hadn't started its trip yet but then it was at my door.. No customs duty, nothing. So it was very frustrating followed by amazing. Still, it reminded me why I have only had one bass for so many years as I really don't like the process! I don't think I'll buy another bass for a looong time (probably) ;)

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1473583759' post='3131292']

Does look like a Kahler
[/quote]

Turns out the bridge is Vigier's own design

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1474049083' post='3135313']
Not just any 80's graphite...the best of 80's graphite. These basses are amazing - I owned an ex Hue & Cry passion when I had a six pack and black hair, and it remains my favourite ever bass.

Beautiful :)
[/quote]

Thanks. What colour was yours?

You can imagine how many basses I've been tempted with having run this site from day one but the passion has been my only bass for 12 years now. Having the Vbass installed in it (extra pickup near bridge) staved off any gas for other pedals and basses but I've always wanted the matching Arpege.

I just can't fina anything that competes with the neck on these. The action is super low and they are effortless to play. I've had a couple of basses with the Benedetti pickups in and matched to the Arpege preamp they sound fantastic.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='orangefriday' timestamp='1477861773' post='3164931']
Wow, that's a tidy example of the breed. Does it still have metal just under the fretboard with the carbon neck? I can see that they have softened a few edges, but it's instantly recognisable. Love the carbon fibre headstock too!
[/quote]

Yes I noticed the upper horn on yours was a lot sharper. If you look at the series 3 and 4 models they ended up rounding it right off which is a shame. I love the angled bout on the body, making it look like a cello .

Nothing under the fretboard but carbon in these ones.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' timestamp='1477913351' post='3165151']
Stunning!
[/quote]

I've just found an interesting quirk with the bass... when the rear pickup (only) is selected, the treble control acts like a midrange control... combined with the filter control this means you can dial in some seriously tight focused bass, from burpy jazz bass to Level 42 'Sun Goes Down'. If you set up that sound on the bass, use the output on the side to your amp, then use the OTHER output on the top (preamp bypass) with a second lead and an A/B box, you can footswitch between the two settings, if you must. I believe the bypass output is intended for studio use although the very early manual I have for the bass suggests it is also a 'charge jack'... given how unconventional this thing is I fully expect it to power my iPhone or something.

I told you it was quirky!

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1482240988' post='3198733']

I've just found an interesting quirk with the bass... when the rear pickup (only) is selected, the treble control acts like a midrange control... combined with the filter control this means you can dial in some seriously tight focused bass, from burly jazz bass to Level 42 'Sun Goes Down'. If you set up that sound on the bass, use the output on the side to your amp, then use the OTHER output on the top (preamp bypass) with a second lead and an A/B box, you can footswitch between the two settings, if you must. I believe the bypass output is intended for studio use although the very early manual I have for the bass suggests it is also a 'charge jack'... given how unconventional this thing is I fully expect it to power my iPhone or something.

I told you it was quirky!
[/quote]

Mine can go louder or quieter...

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' timestamp='1482241096' post='3198735']
Mine can go louder or quieter...
[/quote]

Don't get me started on the tonal possibilities with the Passion bass (on left in third pic) because that makes the Arpege seem simple - although even though it's more complicated/versatile, it's not as idiosyncratic as the Arpege!

And don't get me wrong, 99% of the time I'm bypassing everything as they sound amazing when totally flat, but it's fun to have options on tap.