Why become a member? ×

Which of these practice amps is best?

slingo

I'm looking for a little amp to practice alone at home and I'm considering these:-

Fender Rumble 15
Laney RB1
Eden EM15

All reputable makes but not sure which is best. Has anyone got any experience of these to help me decide?

I also want to be able to use my electric guitar with it for practice too (not at the same time though!)

Thanks all you lovely bass people!

Edited by slingo

I can only comment on the Fender Rumble. I've had my one eight years now and it has been used most days.
No problems, crackly pots or anything to complain about.

Can get a decent tone out of it and more than enough volume for home use.

Simple but efficient eq section, aux in and head phone socket, make it a good choice.

I wouldn't rule out something like this:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trace-Elliot-Commando-10-Bass-PreAmplifier-/282167314813?hash=item41b27b897d:g:YOQAAOSwOdpX0ZK3"]http://www.ebay.co.u...OQAAOSwOdpX0ZK3[/url]

Might be a little heavier than those listed but being TE you know it'll kick ass...£50 currently - would be a steal.

This is also £50 - gives you an idea what a bargain the amp above is.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRACE-ELLIOT-30w-combo-/302048839440?hash=item4653838710:g:VywAAOSwO~hXHy~S

Edited by TheGreek

Thanks, it's too far away I'm afraid, and it's physically a big bigger than I want. Also, I used to love TE stuff until I bought a brand new AH300SM head which quite literally set on fire in the middle of a gig! Fortunately I'd managed to get a lifetime warranty on it so got it repaired but never quite trusted it after that and switched to Ashdown.

[quote name='slingo' timestamp='1473510411' post='3130862']
Thanks, it's too far away I'm afraid, and it's physically a big bigger than I want. Also, I used to love TE stuff until I bought a brand new AH300SM head which quite literally set on fire in the middle of a gig! Fortunately I'd managed to get a lifetime warranty on it so got it repaired but never quite trusted it after that and switched to Ashdown.
[/quote]

If you like ashdown they do some small combos.
But my vote would be the rumble v3 although I found the v3 100 a little boomy

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1473507500' post='3130817']
I can only comment on the Fender Rumble. I've had my one eight years now and it has been used most days.
No problems, crackly pots or anything to complain about.

Can get a decent tone out of it and more than enough volume for home use.

Simple but efficient eq section, aux in and head phone socket, make it a good choice.
[/quote]

Pretty much what I`d say too Gary, cracking little amps. I`ve got the 30 watt version as well, which comes with gain on it, a nice little extra that.

Take a look at the little GK combos as well. I heard a guy using the 200w 1x12 last week and couldn't believe how loud it went!

Edit - forgot to say that it's the 1x8 that is the comparison model. Only mentioned the 1x12 because I heard it being used at such volume. The 1x8 is really nice too. Might take you over budget though as it's about £125

Edited by molan

[quote name='slingo' timestamp='1473506908' post='3130809']
I'm looking for a little amp to practice alone at home and I'm considering these:-

Fender Rumble 15
Laney RB1
Eden EM15

All reputable makes but not sure which is best. Has anyone got any experience of these to help me decide?

I also want to be able to use my electric guitar with it for practice too (not at the same time though!)

Thanks all you lovely bass people!
[/quote]

Carvin 1x10 combo amp = 200 watts with the perfect Carvin Microbass amp. Can't miss. If you add a cab, you get 250 watts.

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1473965415' post='3134622']
i have tried all of these and liked em, but in the end i settled on the eden its very warm and natural sounding and
Andertons are doing them for 60 notes at present :)
[/quote]

Looks like a good deal, never seen this amp but it looks ideal for jamming with others. Two instrument inputs plus an aid input and two headphone oututs, so you could just use it as a mixer and headphone amp!

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/EDEN-EM15/bass-combos/eden-em15-2-channel-15w-multi-purpose-combo-amp

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1473965415' post='3134622']
i have tried all of these and liked em, but in the end i settled on the eden its very warm and natural sounding and
Andertons are doing them for 60 notes at present :)
[/quote]

I know - that's why it was on my shortlist :-)

Well guys

thanks for all your comments and help. I stumbled across a music shop which is having a clear out and managed to bag the Rumble 15 for a silly price so couldn't resist! It may not be the cream of the crop compared to some of the above suggestions, but it will suffice for solo home practice so I'm happy. I had a play with one in a local shop on Monday and it sounded pretty good for it's size, so thanks a lot everyone.

I did actually buy a Peavey KB/A60 as thought this would be suitable for guitar and bass but it's way too big and loud for home practice so if anyones interested I'm selling it! :-)

Edited by slingo