Why become a member? ×

£150 - £200 to spend on a bass.

waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='300596' date='Oct 6 2008, 04:24 PM']Right I could get the Dano now I have the money but I'm wondering if it is worth it.

I love P-bass's and wouldn't mind some kind of ray but the main thing is something that isn't a starter bass I want something I can gig.

Am I asking too much for the money I have?[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=28560&view=findpost&p=294769"]Mine?[/url]

[quote name='lwtait' post='300638' date='Oct 6 2008, 04:58 PM']have you thought about selling the affinity squier P and getting a mexican fender P?[/quote]

Yeah in reality, that's what I'd suggest too, or a used Japanese P, rather than a new Vintage Modified Squier.
Buy used when ever possible - loose less money.
Of course a squier is more punk than a Fender ... :)

What sort of Dano?

Ive got a longhorn, [wanted one in the 60s but couldnt find one so as senility creeps up i bought one]

Its perfectly giggable if you have a reasonble amp, its incredibly light, but its short scale, which doesnt really suit my hands. I take it out occasionally and have fun, but I always also take a 'proper' bass as well.

As a main gigging bass it doesnt do it for me, if it were me, I would buy something second hand, and you wont loose much if you sell it.

If you like precisions, [ive got 2] how about a second hand G&L tribute L2000. Its a fair bit more, but still cheaper than a stingray. The necks nearer to a precision than a jazz, and its got great sounds.

Christ man, after being a cheeky sod and getting that "endorsement" deal, get the Dano.

Go off the beaten track and bit, you might like it, I want to try one, just not a fan of slab bodies but I could perhaps put up with it if I really like one.

[quote name='Buzz' post='300859' date='Oct 6 2008, 10:06 PM']Christ man, after being a cheeky sod and getting that "endorsement" deal, get the Dano.

Go off the beaten track and bit, you might like it, I want to try one, just not a fan of slab bodies but I could perhaps put up with it if I really like one.[/quote]

+1. They do both thud [i]and[/i] sproing

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='301915' date='Oct 8 2008, 09:14 AM']It's just gone :)

I think I'll put a little extra cash in and get a Mex P[/quote]

when i was in PMT picking up my DJ i looked at the new range of vintage squiers the P's looked awesome, really well built and sounded good , some cool finishes as well ! as opposed to the usual black and sunburst , just a touch over 200 quid may be worth a look mate.

Edited by peety

When I was looking through Music Inn one outsider that struck me was Adam Black's P-bass clone (just has 'Black' on the headstock). Pretty good neck for the sub-£200 price bracket. I think the thumb rest put me off but that's easy removed, didn't get to try it plugged in but worth a look.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='301915' date='Oct 8 2008, 10:14 AM']It's just gone :)

I think I'll put a little extra cash in and get a Mex P[/quote]

good move,but play a few as they vary a bit in quality,but get a good one (like mine :huh: ) & they're a cracking bass.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='300596' date='Oct 6 2008, 04:24 PM']but the main thing is something that isn't a starter bass I want something I can gig.[/quote]

One of the big changes I have seen in my lifetime is the narrowing of the gap between the 'cheap' brands and the 'name' brands - this has happened in many product areas, hi-fi being a prime example, but it is equally true of guitars and basses, especially as so many of the 'names' outsource their manufacture to the same or similar factories to those producing the cheapies. Don't assume that because a bass is a 'starter' bass, it is not a perfectly good instrument for gigging, recording or whatever - you just have to find a good example (quality control is one of the areas they skimp on), and give it a mild tweak where required. I think there's a lot of pointless snobbery about basses etc, which ultimately leads to people spending a lot more money than they really need to, because they feel that they somehow lack credibility if they don't have the right name on their headstock. My advice is not to play the brand-name game - it's not big and it's not clever; it's just a way of lining other people's pockets and keeping the insane consumer culture spinning.

Just my 2p.

Regards

E