Why become a member? ×

Lakland US Basses in the UK

Musicman20

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1472500730' post='3121655']
What you have to remember is - a lot of makers want to be able to advertise they have a custom shop... but there's more profit in production models... so they'll charge over the odds to try and get them to go with the production offerings by pricing a lot of people out of the market.
[/quote]

Yet Warwick Custom shop models seem very popular.

Lakland is a small operation punching way above their weight. I believe they make some 300 US basses a year and about 3000 Skylines.

They have a positive reputation because they make good basses. Good to the point that top players in various genres choose to play them.

It's been a few years since we had a Lakland knocking thread. . . . so one was due.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1472541883' post='3121873']
Yet Warwick Custom shop models seem very popular.
[/quote]
Maybe - but I would wager the percentage of custom shop sold to production models sold would still be in single figures, percentage wise... as I would imagine Fender would be.

Warwick custom shop is crazy money - I don't understand how they sell anything... but I guess, if you must have a custom shop Warwick, there is only one place you can go!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1472551532' post='3121976']
FWIW, you'll not find me knocking Lakland. I've got a lot of respect for them.
[/quote]
Does anybody know if Dan has had any luck gaining a similar sort of success with D Lakin basses? He doesn't seem to have hit the radar much.

Mind you, THAT headstock :-/

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1472551532' post='3121976']
FWIW, you'll not find me knocking Lakland. I've got a lot of respect for them.
[/quote]

I'm not pointing a finger at anyone.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1472551962' post='3121980']
Does anybody know if Dan has had any luck gaining a similar sort of success with D Lakin basses?
[/quote]

With Lakland Dan Lakin created a gap and filled it with a great product. He also had Hugh McFarland designing the basses. Two things he doesn't have now. He would probably disagree, but it seems D Lakin basses are more of a hobby for him.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1472551897' post='3121979']
Warwick custom shop is crazy money - I don't understand how they sell anything... but I guess, if you must have a custom shop Warwick, there is only one place you can go!
[/quote]

The Basschat marketplace ? :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1472551962' post='3121980']
Does anybody know if Dan has had any luck gaining a similar sort of success with D Lakin basses? He doesn't seem to have hit the radar much.
Mind you, THAT headstock :-/
[/quote]

Yeah, that's the biggest issue I have. I like that he is selling direct and trying to avoid the middleman and you can custom order what you want (within the set parameters). I do like their colour options.

[quote name='Misdee' timestamp='1472497512' post='3121615']
It would be no problem to get a US Lakland in any of the colours you fancy, but you are looking at spending closer to four grand than the 2,300 quid you are currently balking at. Don't just blame Lakland though, blame Boris, Nigel et al.

Regarding the colour choices, you may be averse to black, but all bass makers will tell you that it is a perennially popularchoice.
[/quote]

I agree 100% that Brexit will continue to affect instruments such as this. I also agree that black is no doubt THE most popular guitar and bass colour, it is just not for me.

It isn't just the colour though, they just look extremely plain. I would be interested to know exactly what the differences are to a Skyline, that make it's more than double (I think?) the price. Electronics? Frets? Figured woods on the neck?

Maybe it is just poor marketing. Do you get a good quality Lakland hardcase?

It looks like you get the same pickups on the passive models....

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1472556145' post='3122031']
[/quote]

You get the same Hanson pickups and Lakland EQ regardless on US and Skylines. This tells me you will get pretty much the same sounds and any differences are going to be aesthetic or playability.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1472557192' post='3122046']
I also looked at the Lakin stuff back in the days, but IMO it was overpriced and there weren't enough options. And then there was the headstock...
[/quote]

The Shark is what was missing from their line up to compete with the 44-02/55-02. It's a mashup of a Stingray/Sabre and I like it. I'd probably move that pickup an inch further from the bridge though.

http://dlakinbasses.com/the-shark-4-tech-specs/

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1472557651' post='3122051']
The Shark is what was missing from their line up to compete with the 44-02/55-02. It's a mashup of a Stingray/Sabre and I like it. I'd probably move that pickup an inch further from the bridge though.

[url="http://dlakinbasses.com/the-shark-4-tech-specs/"]http://dlakinbasses....k-4-tech-specs/[/url]
[/quote]

I love it. Apart from the headstock :-/

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1472228057' post='3119676']
This is a matter of opinion. I had a Sadowsky which I got rid of because I didn't like the tone at all, it was bass-heavy and scooped with very weak mids, and I found the vintage tone control made very little difference to the overall character of the tone. For someone playing slap, or for people who love a scooped tone, sure - but for straight-up fingerstyle it just didn't have what I was after at all. The build quality was indeed flawless and it was a nice looking bass, but i much prefer the 2011 Deluxe Jazz I replaced it with, I love the preamp in that thing, the mid control is pretty much perfect and the build quality is at least as good as the Sadowsky. It's had one setup in the last 5 years, it's just a good bass. People say the output is quieter than other basses, which is true in passive mode, but I don't know of a situation where that would be a problem, you need to adjust gain for whatever bass you're playing. In active mode it's the perfect J tone for me, passive Jazz characteristics with a bit of a mid boost. Maybe it's a one off and I got lucky but I never get why people didn't get on with the USA Deluxe series, they get far too much of a hard time.
[/quote]

Of course it is a matter of opinion. I was just giving mine and I was not presenting my opinion as a fact. I know lots of bass players who I really rate who don't like Sadowsky basses or the preamp. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I like the two I bought, so that is enough for me.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1472556145' post='3122031']
I agree 100% that Brexit will continue to affect instruments such as this. I also agree that black is no doubt THE most popular guitar and bass colour, it is just not for me.

It isn't just the colour though, they just look extremely plain. I would be interested to know exactly what the differences are to a Skyline, that make it's more than double (I think?) the price. Electronics? Frets? Figured woods on the neck?

Maybe it is just poor marketing. Do you get a good quality Lakland hardcase?

[/quote]

I'm not sure,but I think you get a quartersawn graphite-reinforced neck, for one thing, and that makes a huge difference between the USA basses and the Skylines. You really can feel the benefit.

FWIW, even though my US Lakland is a step up in quality from even a good Fender bass, I still play my Fender P Bass far more and get greater enjoyment from it. Which I suppose raises the question how much anyone needs a super-high quality bass in comparison to a decent quality one. What I like about Laklands, though, is that I seem to be able to "get into" my playing on them a lot more than some high-end basses I have tried, where the "luxury" can be bit of a distraction.

[quote name='Misdee' timestamp='1472588802' post='3122447']
I'm not sure,but I think you get a quartersawn graphite-reinforced neck, for one thing, and that makes a huge difference between the USA basses and the Skylines. You really can feel the benefit.
[/quote]

Skyline is flatsawn but still has graphite reinforcement on 5 string models.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1472557651' post='3122051']

[url="http://dlakinbasses.com/the-shark-4-tech-specs/"]http://dlakinbasses....k-4-tech-specs/[/url]
[/quote]

Good god what a mess!
Lakin has swung and missed big time with the D Lakin brand in my humble opinion, which is odd, usually it's the original brand that fails after takeover and the original brains behind the operation carries on being great with their new project.
As has been mentioned, the D Lakin brand very much feels like a hobby :unsure:

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1472641644' post='3122812']
Good god what a mess!
Lakin has swung and missed big time with the D Lakin brand in my humble opinion, which is odd, usually it's the original brand that fails after takeover and the original brains behind the operation carries on being great with their new project.
As has been mentioned, the D Lakin brand very much feels like a hobby :unsure:

Si
[/quote]

G&L is hardly overtaking Fender. Brand establishment is a big thing.

Edited by Machines

It may be because until the Shark - there is nothing you can't get from Lakland already (just in more colours). A few loyal players have followed Dan, others will not care for the history involved and just want a decent brand name.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1472656751' post='3122998']
It may be because until the Shark - there is nothing you can't get from Lakland already (just in more colours). A few loyal players have followed Dan, others will not care for the history involved and just want a decent brand name.
[/quote]
and a decent headstock.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1472658516' post='3123017']

and a decent headstock.
[/quote]

It is a crap headstock isn't it.....like really crap lol.

Yeah perhaps I overstated that 'most' departing designers/brand owners do better, but I bet Musicman & G&L had a better reputation/was seen as higher-end when Fender went through the their awful late 70's/early 80's period. I think it's only relatively recently that they've pulled it back.
But actually the example in my head was Michael Tobias with Tobias to MTD etc

Si